oneBoro Forum

Boro v West Bromwich Albion 2-1 (McNair, Tavernier)

9 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

Bizarre, I spent half the match screaming man on from the stands.

Thought he was good enough elsewhere, but he was making me very nervous around our box.

TC that statement made me laugh because I do the same. If it’s not man on it’s move move or give it, 

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Balogun is 5th choice striker for me ... He's had enough minutes to show something ..  Connolly will still come good I reckon ..  Tav MUST play LWB ..  Sporars off the ball movement is

The first half was the worst under Wilder to date. No point picking out individuals because there were so many sub-par performances. WBA shut down our channels well which meant the defence struggled t

Now, to me, tonight's performance was what I'd call pedestrian, or certainly up until we made the changes.  I think we were mostly in control before that, even a goal down, but we weren't doing much o

Posted Images

The first half was the worst under Wilder to date. No point picking out individuals because there were so many sub-par performances. WBA shut down our channels well which meant the defence struggled to carry the ball and move the ball into midfield well. 

The change moving Tav to left wing back changed the game. It gave us two outlets and put stress on WBA narrow shape. Surely an option we have to look at moving forward now? I was one that didn't want to move Tav from the middle due to his worth but if McGree can pick up the slack then it's a real option that gives us a lot of much needed balance.

Tav

Howson

Jones (ANOTHER assist)

Honourable mention for Watmore who increased our energy levels and lifted the team when he came on and for Dael Fry who did a decent job of shackling a very awkward Andy Carroll.

The less said about the referee the better. I'm not one for pulling refs up and i don't think we've actually had that many refs who have been truly awful but he was truly awful.

Edited by Humpty
  • Like 8

I can’t say I enjoyed the match but I’ll be honest, I get agitated watching us play and known to throw around obscenity like confetti at a wedding while trying to play every ball. During games I am one of our biggest critic and nothing in reach is safe.

It fascinates me not a match goes by without Lumley being hung, drawn and quartered. I believe Lumley stats (save % 69.2) positions him around mid table but Interestingly where do our strikers stand, can any hold there head up high? 
I have to agree nothing  about Lumley oozes confidence but a majority of what he does right goes unrecognised, now that won’t stop his critics from crucifying him every game, so for sanity it’s best he goes along with most the other players criticised. Hold on before we do is Tav in or out now because I don’t think we could raise enough players for a five aside.

People need to remember we are transitioning under a new manager, players, tactics and it’s never going to run smoothly and if failing is a position in the play offs I can’t wait to see the results when we click. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I was one that didn't want to move Tav from the middle due to his worth but if McGree can pick up the slack then it's a real option that gives us a lot of much needed balance.

If McGree really is as good as he looked then he looks better than Tav in left midfield. In that case it's time for Tav to retrain as a wing-back. Tav certainly has the attributes to play wing-back though we would lose some of the defensive solidity that Taylor and Bola offer. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I can’t say I enjoyed the match but I’ll be honest, I get agitated watching us play and known to throw around obscenity like confetti at a wedding while trying to play every ball. During games I am one of our biggest critic and nothing in reach is safe.

It fascinates me not a match goes by without Lumley being hung, drawn and quartered. I believe Lumley stats (save % 69.2) positions him around mid table but Interestingly where do our strikers stand, can any hold there head up high? 
I have to agree nothing  about Lumley oozes confidence but a majority of what he does right goes unrecognised, now that won’t stop his critics from crucifying him every game, so for sanity it’s best he goes along with most the other players criticised. Hold on before we do is Tav in or out now because I don’t think we could raise enough players for a five aside.

I think fans have every right to call out Lumley after last nights performance. There was more than one occasion where his mistakes could've cost us. The one mitigating factor i'd give him is that we used him as an outlet more times than i'd have liked. This obviously put him in the spotlight more than he might otherwise have been.

• Like 1

I don't think Lumley's shot stopping is the issue, its the daft things that he does. Every keeper has a bad mistake in them but he seems to do it every game. Its either a pass straight to an opposition player or a rash decision like charging 30 yards out of his goal last night. You always feel like there's a daft mistake not too far around the corner. 

9 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I think fans have every right to call out Lumley after last nights performance. There was more than one occasion where his mistakes could've cost us. The one mitigating factor i'd give him is that we used him as an outlet more times than i'd have liked. This obviously put him in the spotlight more than he might otherwise have been.

Humpty could have and did are contentious debates we hear every game but at least you identified an area of our game which has changed and puts keepers under greater pressure. Playing out from the back can be affective but comes with greater risk when players play it back more often then necessary especially when conditions are not favourable.  

• Like 2
9 hours ago, pikerman said:

Jesus but he deserved it, between the three of them they got so many straightforward decisions wrong they should have been substituted at half time.  Surely there must be a method of sanction against performances like this, a more complete set of incompetents I have not seen in a long while

I agree he was appalling but I have seen just as bad on five or six occasions in the past couple of seasons. And that is just Boro games... I'm sure every club feels the same. The officiating has not kept pace with the standard of the league. 

No, it was only his 8th yellow.

If he and McNair can avoid picking up two bookings in the next 5 matches, we're golden.e

The 37th match is the cut off, they'd have to get 15 to be suspended after that.

Wouldn't bet against Crooksy reaching 15 😬

No, it was only his 8th yellow.

If he and McNair can avoid picking up two bookings in the next 5 matches, we're golden.e

The 37th match is the cut off, they'd have to get 15 to be suspended after that.

Jones also moved up to 7 yellow cards last night so that's one to keep an eye on 👀

• Like 1

I don't feel we'd lose out too much by pushing tav to wing back. He can come inside when McNair flanks him from lcb, Jones comes inside quite a lot and I think Tav would realish that freedom. It's definitely worth a look while crooks is out at the weekend. 

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I'm not a fan of Lumley but as bad as that rush of blood was when he ran out and missed his challenge he didn't foul and get sent off. Standing doing nothing wasn't an option for him either and he would have been slaughtered on here for it. It did disrupt their attack momentarily but crucially it allowed Dijksteel to get another stride in to desperately recover lost ground.

It wasn't pretty and usually would have ended far worse but it didn't. His execution was poor but I respect him for at least doing something rather than nothing or worse still, dithering, caught in two minds.

yes i see what your saying and agree. lumley makes rash decisions and that costs us goals against. but he seems to be trying to do the right thing but doesnt execute properly all the time. these rush keepers like neuer get caught out and hes the best rush keeper ever isnt he? 

after them two moments he had he was totally fine, delt with crosses well punched the ball well to clear the one time he did it and saved what come at him(albeit straight at him) and the goal he couldnt do anything just deflected past him again. if anything hes starting to look more confident coming out for the ball. just needs to rain it in and be so enthusiastic to leave the box.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Balogun and Taylor off. 

Watmore and sporar on.

Watmore pushed up the pitch just behind the two strikers with McGree and howson behind him. Tav left wing back. We need to change the shape, they're killing our game completely. 

Just want to say, when wilder goes on to manage Madrid after us, I'm free. 

11 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't feel we'd lose out too much by pushing tav to wing back. He can come inside when McNair flanks him from lcb, Jones comes inside quite a lot and I think Tav would realish that freedom. It's definitely worth a look while crooks is out at the weekend. 

How would you line it up, assuming we go back to the 352? With Crooks & Payero out, if you move Tav to LWB you now have a CM spot open - do you move Paddy up for a game and play Sol at the weekend? 

Moving Tav to LWB last night worked because we swapped to the 343 and only needed McGree/Howson in CM, but I'm guessing we go back to our usual shape for the weekend, which leaves that 3rd CM spot open.