oneBoro Forum

Boro v West Bromwich Albion 2-1 (McNair, Tavernier)

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Automatic suspensions for yellow cards received in the EFL don't carry over to the FA Cup Alan, so Crooks would be available either way.

Damn that goes my theory out of the window then!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Balogun is 5th choice striker for me ... He's had enough minutes to show something ..  Connolly will still come good I reckon ..  Tav MUST play LWB ..  Sporars off the ball movement is

The first half was the worst under Wilder to date. No point picking out individuals because there were so many sub-par performances. WBA shut down our channels well which meant the defence struggled t

Now, to me, tonight's performance was what I'd call pedestrian, or certainly up until we made the changes.  I think we were mostly in control before that, even a goal down, but we weren't doing much o

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Such rotten luck for Payero... Would have been two full games to show what he can do. I think Tav will take Crooks' spot and McGree will go left of Howson. 

WBA haven't scored for SEVEN games. Got to start fast and make their heads drop. 

Have we heard the full prognosis yet about Payero?

Did Matt Crooks ensure he got the awaited 2 game ban yellow card so he could serve his time in the two games we have this week thus allowing him to be available for the Spurs game conspiracy theories here please!

No, because he'd be available anyway. He just can't help himself with those needless bookings.

Are we so reliant (not the robin kind) on Isiah Jones that if he has an off day then we do suffer for it?

Absolutely. We desperately need a similar style of attacking play down the left wing, and Taylor is not the answer. Bola might be, Coulson could have been - LWB and GK were the priorities for me in January, and I'm gutted we didn't tackle either problem.

Are we putting too much faith that our strike force will stop striking (think about it) and start striking.

Let's face it, all four of them have underperformed. Watmore's the best of the bunch in terms of overall gameplay, but we need more quality up front - or much better performances, from Balogun in particular. I want Sporar to succeed, but he's underwhelmed me so far, as has Connolly to an even greater extent.

Are we going to see an improvement in our tactics which will allow goals coming from other areas of the pitch, at the moment it seems to be from right side of the pitch in towards the six yards area where Crooks would be (but not now for the next two games) 

Same as above. We need a threat from both sides.

Have we got enough to beat Steve Bruce and his band of men?

We have, but whether we will when Andy Carroll is prowling around is unclear.

Is our resident "man from the bush" going to be a game changer and that his shooting skills do not emulate a boomerang?

I really hope McGree comes good, mainly to wind up Celtic fans even more. He's got obvious potential and probably deserves a start, which leads onto the next question...

With our midfield players not available what is your preferred team?

I'd start Tav, McGree and Howson, with Sporar and Watmore up front. Bring Connolly on when Watmore tires.

And finally are we expecting too much from Boro?

Short answer: yes, given Wilder's limited tenure.

Long answer: we've been starved of success and attacking football for so long that it's hard to be patient while the building blocks are put in place. I firmly believe we'll go up next season, but frittering away the chance of three points against a mediocre Bristol City team on Saturday is incredibly frustrating, given how open this season's play-offs are.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Have we heard the full prognosis yet about Payero?

Doesn't need surgery, so not as long term as first thought. Don't think we've been given an exact time frame but my guess would be 4-6 weeks, Wilder said he'd be back before the end of the season.

• Thanks 1

I'd put both Sporar and Watmore up front. At the very least bench Balogun who just doesn't look ready for Championship football, and as I stated in the bristol thread I'd be surprised if he scores more than 2 goals this season. Watmore and Sporar are definately better options up front. I think Wilder will still play Balogun a lot with one eye on next season and getting him back on a season long loan.

McGree obviously comes in for Crooks. Otherwise I wouldn't change anything. It'll be interesting to see who gets the final spot on the bench, as with Sporar back I can't see us having three strikers on the bench. Which midfielder will come in from the u23?

I reckon McGree will break his duck and we will win 2-0.

• Like 1

Time for the stat dump:

Overall:    W41 D23 L34

Home:     W29 D12 L9

Away:       W12 D11 L25

Historically Boro have a good record at home to the Baggies. For the last 10 home games, stretching back to 14th September 1994, the record is a bit more mixed - W5 D2 L3.

However the two clubs' contrasting fortunes this season, at home and on the road, makes for cheery reading:

Boro at home (since Sept): W9 D1 L3

WBA away (since Sept):      W2 D3 L9

So basically if Boro don't get all 3 points this time out, the crowd should start chanting "Wilder out!😁

• Like 4

Looks like the wind has died down a bit for the game, which is good. I was in the NW of the Country the last few days and the winds there were horrendous. On the way home today, I saw an end terrace house where the entire side wall had been blown off, crushing the two or three cars below. Luckily I don't think any people were harmed.

Time for another win, against an out of sorts West Brom. They are 22nd in the away form table, we are top of the home one. 2-0 Boro will do nicely

Did Matt Crooks ensure he got the awaited 2 game ban yellow card so he could serve his time in the two games we have this week thus allowing him to be available for the Spurs game conspiracy theories here please!

I don't think so. Crooks is just one of them people who just gets lots of yellow cards because of the game he plays. See also Morsy, Leadbitter etc

Are we so reliant (not the robin kind) on Isiah Jones that if he has an off day then we do suffer for it?

He's our standout player at the minute, so of course it hurts us if he doesn't turn up. We should have enough quality in other areas that we're not a one man team though. This should improve more when we have Bola back on the left, offering a bit more attack-mindedness than Taylor.

Are we putting too much faith that our strike force will stop striking (think about it) and start striking.

I'd start Watmore and A N Other for this game. He's nabbed quite a few goals, given his limited play time.

Are we going to see an improvement in our tactics which will allow goals coming from other areas of the pitch, at the moment it seems to be from right side of the pitch in towards the six yards area where Crooks would be (but not now for the next two games) 

Hopefully when Bola comes back, we'll have a threat down the right. McGree should help create more of a threat through the middle as well hopefully

Have we got enough to beat Steve Bruce and his band of men?

yes. As above the form table suggests we do. We have tended to bounce back fairly well under Wilder as well. 

With our midfield players not available what is your preferred team?

-----------Lumley---------------

-----Dijk---Fry---McNair-----

--Jones---------------Taylor--

-McGree--Howson--Tav---

---Watmore---Connolly----

And finally are we expecting too much from Boro?

Not at all. We have been underperforming for years. Playoffs is about our level at the minute. Hopefully if we don't get lucky this year, we will be top two contenders next year. I suspect we will be.

6 hours ago, Borodane said:

I'd put both Sporar and Watmore up front. At the very least bench Balogun who just doesn't look ready for Championship football, and as I stated in the bristol thread I'd be surprised if he scores more than 2 goals this season. Watmore and Sporar are definately better options up front. I think Wilder will still play Balogun a lot with one eye on next season and getting him back on a season long loan.

McGree obviously comes in for Crooks. Otherwise I wouldn't change anything. It'll be interesting to see who gets the final spot on the bench, as with Sporar back I can't see us having three strikers on the bench. Which midfielder will come in from the u23?

I reckon McGree will break his duck and we will win 2-0.

We have regularly had 3 strikers on the bench since the turn of the year @Borodane.  V Coventry, Reading, Blackburn and Derby it was Coburn on the bench plus 2 out the usual 4 strikers.

Albeit them games JLS was not available. Jf he wants 1 gk, 2 defenders, 2 mid and 2 strikers on bench then i fully expect it will be boyd munce who comes in. Otherwise it will be JLS and 3 strikers

• Like 1

Shame about Crooks red card as I think Wilder might have been tempted to play Tav at LWB if he had Crooks available in middle to go with Howson n Mcgree.

Given how we play its very important we have a threat down both aides and not just one.

I have no doubt this will be addressed in summer with at least a left footed CB coming who can then overload that side more naturally than Paddy. Paddy will be the right sided CB next season imo.

• Like 1

Will be good to get a proper look at McGree - hope he can put some pressure on the three regular midfield starters with a top performance. Great to get back out there so quickly after Bristol City and get things back on track. Come on Boro 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheJew said:

2 nil defeat. Easy to predict this one.

The play off wheels have now firmly fallen off.

bit of reverse phycology i like it. i tried it them we dumped man u out of the cup next game. then i got my hopes up again and bristol beat us. west brom are probably the worst team in the league right now. they cant score and look shot. i fancy us as we will be taking them as a rival for the play offs and be on it. when in reality they are not.  

35 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

bit of reverse phycology i like it. i tried it them we dumped man u out of the cup next game. then i got my hopes up again and bristol beat us. west brom are probably the worst team in the league right now. they cant score and look shot. i fancy us as we will be taking them as a rival for the play offs and be on it. when in reality they are not.  

Defeat is inevitable.

• Thanks 1
  • Downsouth changed the title to Boro v West Bromwich Albion 2-1 (McNair, Tavernier)