oneBoro Forum

Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)

Venue: Oakwell, Barnsley.

Date and kick off:      Saturday 26th February 2022 at 1500hrs or 3.00pm to those who do not know the 24 hour clock.

Introduction

Barnsley FC welcome (or maybe not) the staff and players of Middlesbrough Football club together with the vast travelling army of Boro supporters numbering over 4000 as they make their way along the A19, A1M and M1 into Oakwell, Barnsley with both clubs in good spirits having both won their Tuesday night fixtures, Barnsley winning at Hull away and Boro taking WBA to the sword.

For Barnsley their usual relegaion fight is upmost on their minds and they will be doing their utmost to add further points as they with others try and climb out of their predicament and will have what they feel is a solution in stopping Boro from winning.

Yes Boro will be wearing their not so lucky green away kits but they know withi themselves that they really do need to push on and start winning more games away from The Riverside so for a neutral this should be a full blood and guts match.

Over the last 6 games between the teams there have been 3 wins a piece and draws are seldom events.

The last time we beat Barnsley at Oakwell in the league was a 1-3 away result on the 16th August 2011 so this has been a very tricky place to visit

Barnsleys current form (reading left to right) is WLWLLL whilst Boro is WLWDWL wth the 3 negatives all away from home.

On paper then this will be no walk over for Boro and Barnsley just might fancy their chances.

Other games of interest

Blackburn V QPR

Brum V Huddersfield

Millwall V SU

Coventry V Preston

Derby V Luton

Forest V BC

B'mouth V Stoke

WBA V Swansea

Clearly Boro can increase pressure on some teams already above them and potentially start pulling away points wise from others in and around us

This stage of the season brings out the best and worst of teams and nearly make or break aspirations of othersupporters.

Talking Points

To be honest I think we all know what our best team is and the positions they play although with suspensions and injuries maybe we have yet to see the "real" Boro.

So getting your thinking caps over these questions.

Is Skippy a Boro player or a bush kangeroo?

Is Lumley going to have the perfect game without giving us all palputations?

Will CW get Watmore and Sporar on from the off to get a good lead before any changes?

Does Crooks regret getting his ban?

What is your preferred starting line up

So it is on record give your predicted score for the games above.

A view from Downsouth

Let's be honest we will be miffed if we do not win indeed many will expect us to win but we are all learning that the Boro we love are not predictable anymore as they have a do or die attitude. Certain players we have poured scorn over of late are our players and maybe we should not judge harshly until the fat lady or @SmogDanesings😝 There are others that are getting better each game and it is a good time to be a Boro supporter so let's do just that and enjoy a convincing win and Boro performance.

To all of you who are going, have a good time, sing your hearts out and make sure you are seen walking down an aisle just as Boro score a goal.

Thank everyone for the outstanding support of the match day threads we are on for big figures this season. Hopefully I will get the chance to do the Spurs thread next week

• Like 6
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The defence isn't dodgy, it's one of the best in the Championship, although clearly far from perfect.  They had a bad day today though.  It's bizarre that so many people can't seem to differentiate be

Venue: Oakwell, Barnsley. Date and kick off:      Saturday 26th February 2022 at 1500hrs or 3.00pm to those who do not know the 24 hour clock.   Introduction Barnsley FC welcome (o

Your obsession with Crooks getting an automatic suspension is more worrying than my obsession with turning this place into the premier crisp discussion forum, Alan! I'd love to see the team that

Posted Images

Our last win at Oakwell four Boro players scored.

McManus own goal giving Barnsley a lead but then McDonald, Barry Robson, Marven Emnes  scored giving Boro the win.

Sorry about the video quality but rare events to win at Oakwell (who would have thought)

Some good passing and well taken goals bit like Boro of today!

• Thanks 1

Your obsession with Crooks getting an automatic suspension is more worrying than my obsession with turning this place into the premier crisp discussion forum, Alan!

I'd love to see the team that finished on Tuesday night but I feel the only change CW might make is Sporar for Balogun. If Balogun starts then I'd be worrying about the terms of his loan deal. I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong, he doesn't look suited to the Championship which is a shame as he is clearly well above PL2 level.

I'd have Connolly start still as he pressures defenders and I'd like to see if he can form a partnership with Sporar.

I'd also drop Taylor for Tav at LWB and move McGree into the middle, but honestly I think Wilder will start with the same formation as against WBA.

The last time I went to Oakwell was under Garry Monk in 2017 when we came back from 2-1 down to draw 2-2. Braithwaite and Assombalonga scored that day. The Barnsley fans couldn't have been lovelier, proper family club with a classic stadium that reminded me of Ayresome Park and it was a good day out.

Think we'll have just enough to win, at least we know Wilder has a Plan B and is willing to ring changes early if things aren't working unlike other past managers I won't name *coughpuliscoughwarnockcough*

• Like 5

Sporar, Watmore

Connolly 

Tav, McGree, Howson, Jones 

Paddy, Fry, Dijksteel 

Not Lumley  

When Watmore get tired, I would put Coburn on ... To represent a different threat.  

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Your obsession with Crooks getting an automatic suspension is more worrying than my obsession with turning this place into the premier crisp discussion forum, Alan!

I'd love to see the team that finished on Tuesday night but I feel the only change CW might make is Sporar for Balogun. If Balogun starts then I'd be worrying about the terms of his loan deal. I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong, he doesn't look suited to the Championship which is a shame as he is clearly well above PL2 level.

I'd have Connolly start still as he pressures defenders and I'd like to see if he can form a partnership with Sporar.

I'd also drop Taylor for Tav at LWB and move McGree into the middle, but honestly I think Wilder will start with the same formation as against WBA.

The last time I went to Oakwell was under Garry Monk in 2017 when we came back from 2-1 down to draw 2-2. Braithwaite and Assombalonga scored that day. The Barnsley fans couldn't have been lovelier, proper family club with a classic stadium that reminded me of Ayresome Park and it was a good day out.

Think we'll have just enough to win, at least we know Wilder has a Plan B and is willing to ring changes early if things aren't working unlike other past managers I won't name *coughpuliscoughwarnockcough*

I wouldn't write Balogun off too soon, he has come into a high pressure environment half way through the season. Stick to your guns DZ there's certainly a player in there just needs to find his feet.

• Like 1

Team. There aren't a lot of choices here.

The other Lumley

Dijksteel - Fry - McNair

Jones - Tav - Howson - McGree - Taylor

Sporar - Connolly

Possibly bringing on Watmore quite early. I'm pretty sure that Wilder is trying to give Connolly (and to a lesser extent Balogun) as much time to get up to speed as possible so I expect him to keep on starting. Personally I would start Sporar and Watmore because this is likely to be a harder game than we expect and I want the best, most proven 11 on the pitch from the start.

I'm pretty sure Crooks regrets rien.

Mystic Meg says

Blackburn V QPR 1-1

Brum V Huddersfield 2-2

Millwall V SU 1-0

Coventry V Preston 2-0

Derby V Luton 0-3

Forest V BC 1-0

B'mouth V Stoke 1-1

WBA V Swansea 2-0

• Like 1

I semi jokingly mentioned to @Blanco in the WBA thread about TMIGOTS and said that possibly the Barnsley thread could take on that mantle.

With last nights results everything went against us (ok Blackburn apart but the wheels have come off the rails somewhat of late) and with the fixtures coming up on Saturday this game has been upgraded if we are to keep pace with others.

Many of the forum members seem to distance themselves from avaoiding disappointment later on should we fail to do so but guess what guys and gals not for me I want to see Boro capture a top 6 spot especially with how things have gone of late since CW arrived.

Simply this game is a "must not lose" catagory and with our tepid away results of late I think that we can say (or at least I can) that the Barnsley away game is THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON away from home.......................so far!!!

6 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Definite defeat. Our away form is patchy at best and I fully expect an insipid performance.

So you won't be going I take it and will concentrate on doing other things Sat afternoon😌

Lumley 

Djiksteel-Fry-McNair

Jones-Tav-Howson-McGree-Taylor

Sporar        Connolly

i think he will start connolly. He’s seems to be improving game to game just seems to go blank when infront of goal. I think Wilder likes to bring Watmore on for his energy with defenders etc tiring. I’d like to see Watmore and sporar start but don’t see it myself. Also going for Balogun to come off the bench and get his first goal. 

Barnsley 1-3 Middlesbrough 

Here’s hoping 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Can't he be both? 😁

Tokyo 2020 Football GIF by AUSOlympicTeam

Yer jokin' aren't yer?

Joe Lewis Soccer GIF

Will CW get Watmore and Sporar on from the off to get a good lead before any changes?

No chance. Wilder seems more wedded to his preferred starting lineup than @Will is to yorkshire pudding wraps. 😁

You'd have to ask him. I'd imagine so as he's been doing well for us lately and chipping in with some vital goals. I'm certainly regretting his ban! 😟

What is your preferred starting line up?

331500095_BarnsleyvBoro2.png.7880c78d3fcb958e79b70cca416c823b.png

Blackburn 3 - 2 QPR

Birmingham 0 - 1 Huddersfield

Millwall 1 - 1 Sheffield United

Coventry 1 - 0 Preston

Derby 0 - 0 Luton

Nott'm Forest 2 - 0 Bristol City

Bournemouth 1 - 0 Stoke

WBA 0 - 0 Swansea

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

tough game isnt it. they all are on the run ins. hopefully we score first because its tough coming from behind every game. we must be due a clean sheet after conceded some ridiculous goals lately. the opposition have been ruthless against us and been scoring from scraps. proper frustrating.

its almost like that spell we had when wilder first took over. where every goal conceded was an og or a comedy of errors leading up to it from the opponents first or only attack of the game. 

the qpr game it all started again with the goal against the run of play, then the lumley howler. derby then scored from about their only effort on goal, bristol did the same and then west brom were at it on tuesday.

we had our lucky spell and must surely be over our unlucky spell and will hopefully score first and see out a routine 2-0 win without any drama. (wishful thinking)

Both!

Nope. He appears to want to be the next Ederson or Neuer, but he's not talented enough to pull it off (ooer).

I suspect we'll see Connolly and Sporar, with Watmore coming on as an impact sub. To be honest, that's his best role - he's not fit enough for the full 90, but he terrorises tiring defenders when he comes on.

Probably not. He's one of those players who plays instinctively, and you can't engineer that out of someone easily. I'm sure he's raging about missing this game, but I still think he'll walk into the starting XI again (hopefully at Taylor's expense rather than Skippy's).

What is your preferred starting line up

As we were on Tuesday except with Sporar in for Balogun. If we're not comfortably ahead by half-time, substitute Taylor with Watmore, with Tav moving to LWB..

I'm terrible at predicting, so I will pass. I do think we'll win this one comfortably, but I hope Barnsley stay up. There are plenty of less friendly and charismatic clubs sloshing around in the bowels of the Championship...

• Downsouth changed the title to Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)