oneBoro Forum

Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)

14 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

tough game isnt it. they all are on the run ins. hopefully we score first because its tough coming from behind every game. we must be due a clean sheet after conceded some ridiculous goals lately. the opposition have been ruthless against us and been scoring from scraps. proper frustrating.

its almost like that spell we had when wilder first took over. where every goal conceded was an og or a comedy of errors leading up to it from the opponents first or only attack of the game. 

the qpr game it all started again with the goal against the run of play, then the lumley howler. derby then scored from about their only effort on goal, bristol did the same and then west brom were at it on tuesday.

we had our lucky spell and must surely be over our unlucky spell and will hopefully score first and see out a routine 2-0 win without any drama. (wishful thinking)

Think the way that we play invites more mistakes, especially whilst players are still getting to grips with playing the ball from the back.

• Like 2
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The defence isn't dodgy, it's one of the best in the Championship, although clearly far from perfect.  They had a bad day today though.  It's bizarre that so many people can't seem to differentiate be

Venue: Oakwell, Barnsley. Date and kick off:      Saturday 26th February 2022 at 1500hrs or 3.00pm to those who do not know the 24 hour clock.   Introduction Barnsley FC welcome (o

Your obsession with Crooks getting an automatic suspension is more worrying than my obsession with turning this place into the premier crisp discussion forum, Alan! I'd love to see the team that

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Think the way that we play invites more mistakes, especially whilst players are still getting to grips with playing the ball from the back.

yes might well be donw to that. the more touches etc we have in defensive areas the more likelihood we made a costly error. its why the old school managers used to no mess about and play hoof ball. 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

yes might well be down to that. the more touches etc we have in defensive areas the more likelihood we made a costly error. its why the old school managers used to no mess about and play hoof ball. 

And I think that's where the two philosophies clash in which method is a better way of defending. Conceding from playing it out from the back is a lot more obvious as it is easily punished. Whereas hoofing the ball indirectly causes a team to concede but in a more subtle way as it is gifting possession back to the opposition and allowing them to mount more attacks in a game. 

I've noticed far fewer clear cut chances being created against us personally. Isn't it really exciting watching the game through your hands every time the ball goes back to Lumley as well? 🤠

• Haha 1

We've lost two and drawn one of our last three away league games so I hope we can turn it around, ideally starting against Barnsley on Saturday. Four of our next five league games are away from home - against Barnsley, Sheffield United, Millwall and Birmingham - so it's vital that we can find some decent form away from home. Otherwise we might lose pace with the play off pack. 

According to BBC's report on Barnsley's game against Hull on Tuesday they played 4-2-3-1, the same that West Brom played which caused us problems for the first 60 minutes on Tuesday, so hopefully we've learned some lessons from that - especially with us unsuccessfully trying to force the ball through to Balogun up against two holding midfielders when dropping deeper and failed to work the ball down the flanks. We'll have to deal with that a lot better against Barnsley through either working the overloads out wide a lot better or mixing our game up a lot better, such as playing more directly and our strikers drifting wider or playing on Barnsley's defenders shoulders.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 2

I don't think we're too far away from getting it right away from home. Last two in particular I think we were unlucky. 

Played really well at QPR and got Lumley'd. Very wasteful at Bristol City... We had the highest xG in the Championship that day.

One thing we need to stop doing is conceding first... Make a home team go behind and they'll open themselves to our pace on the counter. Score first and we beat Barnsley I reckon. 

• Like 4

Interesting weekend this for me and the son. We're off to London to see KSI tonight, train to Leeds then Barnsley tomorrow. Back to York in some sort of shape tomorrow night.

Really hope we get a win tomorrow. As mentioned our away form is the risk. Barnsley always give us a game regardless of position. 

I do think finding a way to get Tav out on the left might be key going forward. Some big calls tomorrow.

I think Lumley needs taking out for his own good. His head went on Tuesday. Every team will be targeting him now. 

8 minutes ago, JonnyMFC said:

I tried to post a GIF and it didn't work and then I couldn't delete the post......sorry 😞

I just thought you'd tried to end this thread to be honest

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I don't think we're too far away from getting it right away from home. Last two in particular I think we were unlucky. 

Played really well at QPR and got Lumley'd. Very wasteful at Bristol City... We had the highest xG in the Championship that day.

One thing we need to stop doing is conceding first... Make a home team go behind and they'll open themselves to our pace on the counter. Score first and we beat Barnsley I reckon. 

You can add Blackburn away where one miscued swipe from Paddy handed Rovers the game.

Very fine margins have cost us and if we can squeeze another 5% or 10% then we could finish the season strongly. Putting Tav at LWB to me is the answer to squeezing out that last little bit. It creates problems on both flanks instead of one and gives us a genuine threat down the left plus it will open up the right side for Jones more by spreading the danger.

Add McGree into that and we have a ready made replacement for Tav in midfield. When Crooks comes back in we should be a match for any side in this league including Fulham with that set up.

11 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

You can add Blackburn away where one miscued swipe from Paddy handed Rovers the game.

Very fine margins have cost us and if we can squeeze another 5% or 10% then we could finish the season strongly. Putting Tav at LWB to me is the answer to squeezing out that last little bit. It creates problems on both flanks instead of one and gives us a genuine threat down the left plus it will open up the right side for Jones more by spreading the danger.

Add McGree into that and we have a ready made replacement for Tav in midfield. When Crooks comes back in we should be a match for any side in this league including Fulham with that set up.

Yeah harsh to come away from Blackburn with nothing. 

Fully agree about Tav going out left. With Taylor there we're fighting with one hand behind our back. It's so easy for teams to shuffle across and defend when we always try to go right to Jones. Like Adama all over again. 

If our centre mids and centre halves pick it up and can go either way... That's a whole different proposition. 

Unfortunately I don't think we will tomorrow, due to Crooks suspension and Payero's injury. Unless Siliki Or Boyd Munce play... Which seems unlikely.  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Fully agree about Tav going out left. With Taylor there we're fighting with one hand behind our back. It's so easy for teams to shuffle across and defend when we always try to go right to Jones. Like Adama all over again. 

If our centre mids and centre halves pick it up and can go either way... That's a whole different proposition. 

Unfortunately I don't think we will tomorrow, due to Crooks suspension and Payero's injury. Unless Siliki Or Boyd Munce play... Which seems unlikely.  

I suspect that Wilder will stick rather than twist but alternatively he may look at it as a more winnable game and putting them to the sword may be easier than getting points off Sheffield United, Fulham and Bournemouth etc. later in the season. It also maybe gives him an opportunity to give someone else an opportunity like Connor Malley or dropping Connolly back onto the Crooks attacking midfielder role.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Foogle said:

And I think that's where the two philosophies clash in which method is a better way of defending. Conceding from playing it out from the back is a lot more obvious as it is easily punished. Whereas hoofing the ball indirectly causes a team to concede but in a more subtle way as it is gifting possession back to the opposition and allowing them to mount more attacks in a game. 

I've noticed far fewer clear cut chances being created against us personally. Isn't it really exciting watching the game through your hands every time the ball goes back to Lumley as well? 🤠

under warnock. if a deep player got the ball, eg howson. the other midfielders and the forwards would run away from him up the pitch. its at that moment after they have all run forward that if we lost the ball before the hoof or it came straight back at us. we would then see all our midfield wrong side of the ball and the defense exposed. it was like a free run at the defense everytime we lost the ball. it was tactical to. we never saw any of our team come short for a passing option. they always ran away. it used to wind me right up. howson being the pro he is did exactly what the manager wanted and looked like the worst player on the pitch because of it. he must have hated warnock.

i guess in the old days the other team would be doing the same thing and the ball would spend most of the game getting launched from one cb to another. if you watch back old games from early 90's and 80's it was like that to. just few passes from each team before losing possession by hoofing it the the big number10. some of the games we used to watch at ayresome were absolutely shocking to watch. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

We have not seen enough of Payero to consider how useful and good a player he is ,due to lack of games in all honesty he is not even being missed.

Put him down as one for the future because he will not feature for some considerable time. Harsh on the lad but his time to shine went away with his injury

• Downsouth changed the title to Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)