oneBoro Forum

Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The defence isn't dodgy, it's one of the best in the Championship, although clearly far from perfect.  They had a bad day today though.  It's bizarre that so many people can't seem to differentiate be

Venue: Oakwell, Barnsley. Date and kick off:      Saturday 26th February 2022 at 1500hrs or 3.00pm to those who do not know the 24 hour clock.   Introduction Barnsley FC welcome (o

Your obsession with Crooks getting an automatic suspension is more worrying than my obsession with turning this place into the premier crisp discussion forum, Alan! I'd love to see the team that

Posted Images

Dijksteel & Lumley were terrible today, combine that with a bit of complacency from Wilder thinkiong that he could get away with starting JLS and we were destined to lose from the offset.
The players showed some fight in the second half, but you have to wonder where that desire was in the first half. Thankfully a few results have gone our way and its not the end of the world!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Bit of a stretch to say he looks good going forwards, either.

Dijksteel, Lumley, Taylor - most important 3 players that need replacing in summer.

After that, Howson should be let go, and we need a better CDM to replace him.

I'm not even going to comment on the strikers because it's Boro, we could have a front 3 of Henry, Shearer and van Nistelrooy and still somehow fluff every chance.

Well good going forward for a centre back is what I meant, looks confident with the ball in the opposing teams half then looks terrified when it comes anywhere near him in our half 

4 minutes ago, notjade said:

Diabolical, but once again Lumley cost us points in the end. Been saying it all season, he'll cost us promotion

Not that I disagree with the basic point that he is a liability, what will cost us promotion this season is the 22 points we managed in the first 17 games of the season.  Up until today we've been going at 2 points per game under Wilder and that's just been able to keep us up with the top 6.  We've still played more games under Warnock in the league this season than we have under wilder.  

• Like 3
  • Downsouth changed the title to Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

Not that I disagree with the basic point that he is a liability, what will cost us promotion this season is the 22 points we managed in the first 17 games of the season.  Up until today we've been going at 2 points per game under Wilder and that's just been able to keep us up with the top 6.  We've still played more games under Warnock in the league this season than we have under wilder.  

You can say that all we want but we saw that we were going nowhere under Warnock and made the change. We are STILL playing Lumley as he makes mistake after mistake. He made a save early on and I actually thought maybe he'd turned it around, then the statue impression started

Rather play with another defender on than him in goal

6 minutes ago, Oslo_Syd said:

You're forgetting the Boro factor - you get nowhere against Barnsley and then squeeze past Spurs. 

Nah. We got lucky against a struggling Man Utd team (and they should have buried us first half). Spurs are a far more formidable prospect. Yes they're still being Spurs (blowing hot and cold) but I don't think even that will help us.

6 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

change the keeper and we wont be talking about the defense being dodgy anymore

The defence isn't dodgy, it's one of the best in the Championship, although clearly far from perfect.  They had a bad day today though.  It's bizarre that so many people can't seem to differentiate between being bad in one game, and being bad overall.  And every time we have a bad result half of the squad becomes worse than useless again, and players who a game or two ago were fantastic, suddenly aren't even good enough for this level.  Fry apparently isn't even a top 6 Championship defender now.  Absolutely barmy.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He's set expectations high by doing so well, play offs was pretty unthinkable when he came in (we needed top 2 form to catch up).

But now a lot of fans will think it's a failure if we don't finish in the play offs with the same players languishing in mid table a few months ago. 

The defence isn't dodgy, it's one of the best in the Championship, although clearly far from perfect.  They had a bad day today though.  It's bizarre that so many people can't seem to differentiate between being bad in one game, and being bad overall.  And every time we have a bad result half of the squad becomes worse than useless again, and players who a game or two ago were fantastic, suddenly aren't even good enough for this level.  Fry apparently isn't even a top 6 Championship defender now.  Absolutely barmy.

A lot of people Post with their emotions (I’m guilty of that too sometimes) except when it comes to Lumley he really is 🐶 💩 

• Like 1

Not sure how you can look at this back 5 and think it's ready for a promotion push. There's 1/3 CBs who is an actual CB, and 2 wing backs who are a winger and a defensive full back.

We have no aerial presence outside of Crooks, McNair/Dijksteel are awful in the air and Fry, for his size, is not strong enough to match up to big Championship strikers/CBs who frequently give us an absolute hiding (Ostigard, Dykes, to name 2 off the top of my head in recent weeks.)

You can look at "one of the best in the Championship" as much as you want but the fact is the worst attack in the league put 3 past us today.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

In a team at the same time?  Yeah, I'd say it probably is.  Isn't there some statistic out there that you're lucky if one player from a group makes it to your first team as a regular player.  A lot don't even make it at the level you are at.  Some age groups are better/worse than others of course.

Well if thats the average I'd say there is something wrong with academies in general.

I've no idea how much it costs to run a full academy system, from under 10s (or whatever) up to U23s, but I imagine its a fair bit.

And from that we're lucky to get 1 player from a group? Not a great return on investment IMO.

I would think if it weren't so easy to get cheap overseas players to fill out squads, clubs might pay more attention to developing young players, so that more were able to make the senior team.

I agree CT but surely we have seen enough of Lumley to now know that he is not good enough for this league.  If you make a mistake as a defender you have to rely on your keeper to dig you out, Lumley gives me no confidence whatsoever 

• Like 1
Just now, notjade said:

You can say that all we want but we saw that we were going nowhere under Warnock and made the change. We are STILL playing Lumley as he makes mistake after mistake. He made a save early on and I actually thought maybe he'd turned it around, then the statue impression started

Rather play with another defender on than him in goal

It is a fact though that with Lumley in the team we'd won 30 points from 15 before today.  Two points a game would have you automatically promoted.  So whilst we can definitely see that he is costing us at times, and getting away with other mistakes that could/should have cost us, it's also a fact that the start to our season is an issue.  If Daniels is really worse than Lumley, which he must be if both sets of coaching staffs won't pick him, then God knows why we signed him at all.  It feels like we signed one back up goalkeeper who is a bit better than another back up goalkeeper.

• Like 1

Lumley can do nothing about their 1st, has to do better for their 2nd (like trying to save it, he has a good view of it) and whilst he's been entirely sold short by Dijksteel, to be nutmegged by a shot going 1mph is a bit embarassing.

Dijksteel is a liability, an accident waiting to happen. That pass back for the QPR goal that everyone had a go at Lumley for, that was a crap pass that sold his keeper short and today, his inability to even control a ball, to prevent the ball from travelling through freely behind our defence, let a striker in and he didn't even recover to make a challenge. Again, he sold his keeper short and he gets away with it because he's a decent attacking centre-back. I don't need to be a football tactician to tell you a centre-back's primary duty is to his defence and it's on that front that Dijksteel continues to leave me having kittens.

JLS is either not fit enough or not good enough, we may well never know which it is, I certainly hope right now that Crooks' and McGree's return will stabilise that area enough so much that we never have to find out.

Our strikers can't score. Our two best strikers at finding chances can't finish them and possibly our two best finishers can't find them. There's something wrong there. It may well be a blessing in disguise that 3 of our strikers are only on loan until the summer so we can more easily write them off and move on but we go again on Tuesday and next weekend in the league and hope and pray they improve.

Those are only the poor performances individually, there were plenty more bang average displays today.

Tav and Jones second half were our only real bright sparks today. Tav gets my MOTM because he was at it from minute one but was sold a bit short by poor performances elsewhere. I really worry what would have happened if that midfield didn't have Tav in it today so I really hope Bola is actually fit enough to play come next weekend and give us something a little more than Taylor offers without losing what Tav means to us in centre-mid.

• Like 1