oneBoro Forum

Barnsley V Boro 3-2 (Sporar (pen) Owngoal)

Just now, notjade said:

Seeing people actually trying to defend Lumley today is absoltely insane. My nan could've saved the 2nd and 3rd.

Second goal was going at a snail's pace and he didn't even TRY and stop it.

Third goal, Dijksteel made the mistake but did quite well to get back to force the striker to shoot from distance. A cardboard cutout of a goalkeeper would've done better than Lumley there

Second person to say Dijksteel did well to get back but he didn't. He made the mistake by letting the ball travel through, recovering would have been preventing the effort, getting a touch on the ball, diverting the striker away from goal. And once again, it's just another example of how somebody wants to make this about the last line of defence rather than the person who made the biggest error to begin with. If Dijksteel controls the ball, does Lumley have a save to make? Of course he doesn't. Was it a hard pass to control? No. I've no idea why anybody watching that goal is gonna sit here and defend Dijksteel because he ran back after making the cock up to begin with, he did nothing to prevent that goal and is literally the only reason their forward was anywhere near our goal to begin with, regardless of Lumley's lack of input on the effort.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The defence isn't dodgy, it's one of the best in the Championship, although clearly far from perfect.  They had a bad day today though.  It's bizarre that so many people can't seem to differentiate be

Venue: Oakwell, Barnsley. Date and kick off:      Saturday 26th February 2022 at 1500hrs or 3.00pm to those who do not know the 24 hour clock.   Introduction Barnsley FC welcome (o

Your obsession with Crooks getting an automatic suspension is more worrying than my obsession with turning this place into the premier crisp discussion forum, Alan! I'd love to see the team that

Posted Images

dijksteel might be so nervous with the ball at the back because of the damn useless keeper behind him. not really confidence inspiring for defenders having a cone in goals for us. you know if you give a team a chance its going in. he saves nothing. 

its just a blip, but its a blip we could have avoided, if we had a decent striker and a decent keeper. wont dont so wins will be hard fought and we often shoot ourselves in the foot. 

• Like 1
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Second person to say Dijksteel did well to get back but he didn't. He made the mistake by letting the ball travel through, recovering would have been preventing the effort, getting a touch on the ball, diverting the striker away from goal. And once again, it's just another example of how somebody wants to make this about the last line of defence rather than the person who made the biggest error to begin with. If Dijksteel controls the ball, does Lumley have a save to make? Of course he doesn't. Was it a hard pass to control? No. I've no idea why anybody watching that goal is gonna sit here and defend Dijksteel because he ran back after making the cock up to begin with, he did nothing to prevent that goal and is literally the only reason their forward was anywhere near our goal to begin with, regardless of Lumley's lack of input on the effort.

He diverted him to a yard directly infront of our goalkeeper. Shame on him for expecting Lumley to save that hey?

Goalkeepers are there to cover for defending mistakes. If our defenders were perfect, we wouldn't need one

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

in short its a piece of *** to score past lumley so we cant afford to give teams the chance. or we're ***.

There is that too, isn't there?

Maybe that factor is unfair on any of the defenders because we can't expect them to prevent literally every shot on goal and to be fair to Lumley, he did also make a couple of decent saves today from shots they did have when we struggled to prevent them.

But when the only thing you have to do to prevent the shot from coming in is control or clear the ball then why are we sat here thinking Lumley is the worst one involved in that 3rd goal? In the West Brom game, our defenders and midfield were getting pelters from the stands for even passing the ball back to Lumley but for some reason Dijksteel gets away with literally letting the ball run through his foot!

Wilder said reason we lost the game was our backline was soo poor today. Did not push out and dictate to Barnsley attack and instead invited pressure on us by practically sitting under our crossbar

1 minute ago, notjade said:

He diverted him to a yard directly infront of our goalkeeper. Shame on him for expecting Lumley to save that hey?

Goalkeepers are there to cover for defending mistakes. If our defenders were perfect, we wouldn't need one

Shame on Lumley for expecting his outfield players for being able to control a pass. 🙄

I do genuinely think we should be giving Brynn a go.

Lumley must make some of the lowest number of saves in the league, and it's rarely an even slightly challenging shot when he does make one.

He's making mistake after mistake after mistake.

• Like 2

We need to keep the basic crop of players here next season even if we are in the Championship.

I wouldn't sign Sporar based on what we have seen so far unless it's around or below £2m.

Send Connolly back. Send Siliki back.

Balogun I think will come good in time but not sure he's an out and out striker.

Send Lumley and Daniels packing. Sign a new goalkeeper.

Sign 2 new strikers. 

Sign a new defensive Midfielder. 

Sell Djed Spence for £15m+

5 players and 1 loan is what I think we need. It's not a massive shake up to make us half decent. A better keeper would have seen us with another 9 points this season.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

There is that too, isn't there?

Maybe that factor is unfair on any of the defenders because we can't expect them to prevent literally every shot on goal and to be fair to Lumley, he did also make a couple of decent saves today from shots they did have when we struggled to prevent them.

But when the only thing you have to do to prevent the shot from coming in is control or clear the ball then why are we sat here thinking Lumley is the worst one involved in that 3rd goal? In the West Brom game, our defenders and midfield were getting pelters from the stands for even passing the ball back to Lumley but for some reason Dijksteel gets away with literally letting the ball run through his foot!

dijksteel was horrendous today. he has been a few times. sometimes it looks like hes scared of the ball. hes proper weird player. looks amazing some games then couldnt trap a bag of cement the next. hes just a young lad and struggling for consistency. concentration has always been his main weakness.  

4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Wilder said reason we lost the game was our backline was soo poor today. Did not push out and dictate to Barnsley attack and instead invited pressure on us by practically sitting under our crossbar

Was definitely the case early on in the game. And yet somehow we still let a cross float over the back of our defence with a man unmarked.

1 minute ago, TheJew said:

We need to keep the basic crop of players here next season even if we are in the Championship.

I wouldn't sign Sporar based on what we have seen so far unless it's around or below £2m.

Send Connolly back. Send Siliki back.

Balogun I think will come good in time but not sure he's an out and out striker.

Send Lumley and Daniels packing. Sign a new goalkeeper.

Sign 2 new strikers. 

Sign a new defensive Midfielder. 

Sell Djed Spence for £15m+

5 players and 1 loan is what I think we need. It's not a massive shake up to make us half decent. A better keeper would have seen us with another 9 points this season.

spot on its not rocket science how we need to improve our team. not just improving it either. getting the right players in would remove all the weaknesses to. 4 signings next season could see us being top 2 all season.

1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

Dijksteel & Lumley were terrible today, combine that with a bit of complacency from Wilder thinkiong that he could get away with starting JLS and we were destined to lose from the offset.
The players showed some fight in the second half, but you have to wonder where that desire was in the first half. Thankfully a few results have gone our way and its not the end of the world!

I can't believe how empty I feel at the moment...Shocked doesn't cover it...This has to be the worst performance I've seen in years...Good God where's my fishing tackle to

Just now, Dynamo Kev said:

dijksteel was horrendous today. he has been a few times. sometimes it looks like hes scared of the ball. hes proper weird player. looks amazing some games then couldnt trap a bag of cement the next. hes just a young lad and struggling for consistency. concentration has always been his main weakness.  

He's constantly worrying me when he's on the ball in defensive areas. The lad is so 50/50 with his ball control it's insane, though. He can run beyond his man when breaking out of defence, he can cut inside and play a ball through defences on his weaker foot... then he can completely miss a simple pass back and let in a striker out of nothing.

Maybe he'd be better as a midfielder, playing in the role Crooks usually does, where he can actually pull off to the right hand side and work that angle without us having to worry about the fact that one missed touch can lead to a significant goalscoring chance in behind him. I don't think he can play wing-back, he's better in central areas but he seems to work well in the same areas Crooks does.

• Like 1