oneBoro Forum

Sheffield Utd v Boro 4-1 (Balogun)

Feels like a defining week this one. Could all go horribly wrong, but I’m hoping we have enough to turn things round, get to the international break then hopefully get some players back. 
I don’t know if Wilder has ever played a back 4 but it might be worth it to rest some players but still have a chance against Millwall. Howson needs a rest, either Sat or Tues. Same for Crooks. This same team can’t play another 3 games in a week. 

Sporar and Watmore back up front, they’re our best pair together, even if Sporar’s form has dipped. Get behind him again (you don’t hear his song much these days) and get the confidence and love flowing again. Think we can still get at least 4 points in our next 2 games - let’s not give up now!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This better not continue next season or Wilder can pack his bags.

Just got home tonight and to say i am embarrassed to be a boro fan tonight is understatement. Not because of the result or performance as that was bad day at office and can happen but the behaviour of

Payeros and Mcgrees injuries have certainly come at a very bad time. Payero especially would have seen plenty of minutes over the last month. What a shame. 

Posted Images

I’ve had time to calm down after the emotion of last night.  It’s done and now it’s time to move on, the good thing in my opinion is the games are coming thick and fast so no time to whine about this result.  The team need to find a plan B for when teams don’t allow us to attack.  
Thankfully results were kind to a certain extent so it’s not put the playoffs out of contention.  I think it definitely shows that this is still NOT a wilder team, not making excuses but they look knackered as well, a cup run and looking to get into the playoffs is a big ask with limited resources.

Chin up chaps, I’d take this 100% over what Warnock was offering us.  We just need to find that edge on our away performances, lads up front are working hard but just not clinical enough.  I’d still be up for staying in the championship and having a real go next season, a season where we can win both home and away and a team that represents a CW team.

Still a time to be happy in my opinion!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Towards our own fans. A woman got hit by a youth.

You'd hope someone got a chance to film them and like you are willing to contact the club. 

8 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Problem is that I don't think Wilder likes change including his beloved shape.

If a team lets us play out from the back then great but as soon as they close us down, chasing high tempo at us we are basically screwed with Wilders overlapping CB thing. To compound things he has brought Players in that fit his style of play which is fair enough but when his preferred style of play has been sussed he doesn't have a Plan B because he no longer has the Players to change it.

He can take off a forward and change the personnel but they are all little dicky dancers, the only exception is Coburn and he doesn't trust him because he wants to score goals instead of running around like the other midgets sticking to a system that hasn't worked on the day.

I'm not sure a change in formation would have done anything. The game was lost in the first half and that was down to three major incidents. The unfortunate rebound for their first, Howson gifting them their second and Sporar skying his big chance to get us back in. We were second best all over the park and simply couldn't cope with their energy levels. I do think that last night showed that we are really missing alternatives in midfield. Tav, Crooks and Howson are running themselves into the ground every match and just a week ago it was for over 120 minutes. That's going to take it's toll eventually. We really need McGree and Payero back asap, although I have no idea how far away they are. 

It certainly didn't help that Peltier had to play instead of Dijk. Their first goal was a clear example of how a common understanding is in defence, as Fry and Peltier completely messed up. His contract is up in the summer though, so he will be gone.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Guffie said:

Just seen wilders interview. Lowest point for him and some the players need to look at themselves etc 

Needs to look at himself as well. This isn’t a one off.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I'm not sure a change in formation would have done anything.

probably not and, realistically, there's no time on the training ground to work on it. Presumably the team has been drilled in the 3-4-3 as their back up so maybe he could start with it.

We are starting to suffer from lack of depth. The injuries to McGree and Payero haven't helped because there's simply no one good enough to step in for Howson, Tav and Crooks; they must be really feeling the pace. 

The one area I think Wilder has screwed the pooch in is with the forwards. Sporar has gone backwards at a rate of knots; Connolly isn't good enough; Balogun isn't ready and maybe never will be. The only forward who makes us tick is Watmore. If Sporar was playing at his best, he would link us up better. Coburn did at least get into a position with a header but I suspect a little bit of inexperience let him down. Ironically, it was Coburn's performance against Millwall that persuaded Wilder he wasn't ready but I did see Coburn drop deep a couple of times yesterday to link up play so maybe he's getting closer. Frankly though it's hard to see what Balogun, Connolly or Sporar have done to merit a start. On the gripping hand, we haven't been able to play to their strengths so maybe the problem is as much systemic as individual.

This is where Wilder and Knill need to earn their keep. Other teams have seen several examples of how to beat us; the team is tired, the forwards are malfunctioning and there's a risk we've been found out. A good manager knows how to tweak a shape and manage their players so that we're the ones asking questions of the opposition. I can't help thinking that maybe we have topped out. In Sheffield United's first season back in the Championship under Wilder, they looked good for promotion until they tailed off as they got found out. It sort of feels like maybe the same is happening to us. 

• Like 2

That gave me a hangover and I didn't even drink.

One thing we've seen from this team again and again though is a strong response to a bad result. So let's see what happens at Millwall before having a meltdown. Why we need a bad result to spark a good performance... That's a question I'm sure Wilder wants answered too.

We will get into, and fall out of, the play offs several more times before the season is out. Look at Luton after we beat them in a six-pointer and squeezed them out only 3 days ago - back in already. Not for the faint hearted!

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

The loan signings disrupted things last season as well. I hate the Jan transfer window! 

At least we can look forward to spending fortunes on players like McBurnie and Brewster. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

The loan signings disrupted things last season as well. I hate the Jan transfer window! 

It's not fair at all to try and blame our away form on two January signings.

10 of the starting 11 last night were here before the January window.

Sporar was comfortably the worst of all 5 strikers last night.

Sporar and Watmore were awful when they started against Barnsley, every player who started that match was here before January.

I think Morgan Gibbs White and Billy Sharp showed our two strikers up with their energy, commitment and movement. Looks like you can be a team player and score goals.

Clean-sheet Connolly was more concerned with hitting the deck than playing football whilst Sporar put in one of his far too frequent ghost performances.

Overall though I thought we had the same problem we have had for a while.

We are great until we get to 20 yards out then don’t have a clue. We play in front of teams go right  to left and eventually back to Lumley. It’s often possession without purpose.

We had a really good 5 minute spell before half time then played a really *** stupid corner routine.

Fry seems to like the games where he is in a fight rather than having to move about. 

bad day at the office but as I said before hand not the end of the season. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

At least we can look forward to spending fortunes on players like McBurnie and Brewster. 

Yeah, Thats what is worrying me as well. I think we all knew what additions we needed & the new much heralded recruitment team failed to provide them. Wilder was obviously heavily involved in identifying Connolly & Balagun as well so it doesnt auger well going forward. The less said about JLS, the better, Hernadez sent back & Uche sent out on loan which was a ridiculous decision. Seems like we have a Plan A or a Plan A Plus with different but similar players .Wilder in the main has done a brilliant job though & the players have given everything but the January window has left us short. I still think we are in with a shout & a victory at Millwall wouldnt surprise me.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's not fair at all to try and blame our away form on two January signings.

10 of the starting 11 last night were here before the January window.

Sporar was comfortably the worst of all 5 strikers last night.

Sporar and Watmore were awful when they started against Barnsley, every player who started that match was here before January.

I just think the swapping and changing of strikers has disrupted things. Watmore and Sporar were doing okay pre Jan, had confidence and the love and backing of the supporters. Now we seem to have a different front 2 every week and no combinations look particularly effective. Sporars form has completely nosedived.