oneBoro Forum

Birmingham v Boro 0-2 (Connolly, Balogun)

It was a solid, workmanlike performance with no weak links and the occasional moment of real quality from us in the second half. Make no bones about, Brum were poor. Even their good spell in the first half was more down to our failings than anything special from them.

On the glass half-full front, Connolly and Balogun both had their best game for us and proved a real handful for Brum. Balogun in particular looked to be getting the measure of the Championship. On the glass half-empty front, Brum played like a disinterested league 1 team and I worry that means C&B have shown only that they can do well at league 1 level. On the glass has stuff in it hand, hopefully the performance can spur them on. Look at how well Lumley has done since the Spurs match: it seems as if everything has clicked for him. Assuming C&B start against Chelsea, if they can produce the same form against Premier league class then I think that bodes well for the rest of the season. 

If we can get McGree for extra depth in the midfield and take some of the burden off Tav, Howson and Crooks while C&B come good, you have to feel positive about the rest of the season.

Also, has anyone noticed that the right and left midfielders are tending to swap sides from time to time. I first saw it with Tav and McGree but Tav and Crooks are doing it too. I think this looks like a deliberate ploy to reduce the predictability of our attacks down the right. It was also really noteworthy that we focused a lot of attacks down the left and McNair was getting much further forward than a few weeks ago. Tav, McNair, Taylor and Balogun were producing some good patterns down the left. Tav is also growing in confidence and looking for chances to try to drive through the lines with the ball.

• Like 3
  • Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well my grandson has made his appearance and though I am clutching at straws I hope this coincides with a Boro win tonight

With no context boy does that look bad 😂

I need a win tonight.    It's been a horrible day.  My cat died of a sudden heart attack less than 5 hours ago. 

Posted Images

Tav seems to get better every game. You can almost see the "I'm the best player on this pitch" confidence in his play that all the best midfielders have - take the ball anywhere and lead by example. Thought Dijksteel showed his importance last night too. Fry blocked everything. 

Only caveat is I thought Birmingham were really crap. Probably lucky Derby and Reading have the deductions tbh, because that was a League 1 side. 

Can enjoy the Chelsea game for what it is now and then hope the 2 week break does us good. Time to rest up for the likes of Crooks, Jones, and Howson, then work on those passing triangles and incisive bits of wing play that haven't disappeared, but have certainly dropped in frequency. 

Slowly getting our squad back too. With Watmore, Sporar, Bola, Payero, McGree, and Coburn waiting in the wings we'll be able to rotate and affect games later on. 

• Like 1

Just looking at our remaining fixtures, we have quite a look of games in a similar ilk to the one we just played IE the team has little or nothing to play for -

Peterborough (already gone imo) away

Hull (10 points clear of safety) home

Swansea (midtable) away

Cardiff (midtable) home

Stoke (midtable) home

Preston (midtable) away

We need to be looking at as close to maximum points from those and I don't see any in there that we've any reason not to expect 3 points from. 

The other 3 games are against the top 3 which will obviously be tough, but 2 are at home so I don't think we have much to be worried about - I can see us making play offs comfortably. 

• Like 1

Great result last night the only criticism is I feel we missed out on scoring a few more when it looks like goal difference could play a major part in the playoffs. Given our recent form away from home it was a nice relief to end that poor run. 

I think Dijksteel being back has made a difference and Tav just gets better. I really hope we can somehow keep Balogun for another season as well I think he is starting to settle and we are seeing more of what he is capable of now. Connolly deserved his goal and although not being eye-catching he always grafts and seems to get a chance. Sporar when not on his game just disappears and is hardly worth being on the pitch.

My final note is does Crooks have a 50p head? I love the guy but he seems to miss more of the easier headers he gets (over the past few weeks) and scores the more difficult ones. 

Still not sure whether Connolly has been officially given the goal or not.

Conflicting info all over.

I know it was an own goal, so I'm not trying to argue it wasn't, but it's still down as Connolly's goal on most sites, despite commentary marking it out as Gordon's own goal.

I really hope we can somehow keep Balogun for another season as well I think he is starting to settle and we are seeing more of what he is capable of now. 

If we stay in this league I think it's given that he will stay. There is no chance that he will be getting a look in at Arsenal and I can't see a Prem team coming in for him. Wilder is a perfect manager for him and he gets a lot of playing time. Tbh. I think Wilder is going to loan him even if we are promoted. 

watched it via the red button facility, great result and good performance although i was confident of a win to begin with. I agree that balogun raised his game dramatically, also conolly was far better than recently and dijksteel looked a class player last night , lumley was sound thoughout and generally we coasted the 2-0.the only negative was crooks and his inability to tacklr without fouling. the disapointing thing was that there was no replays. iI would have liked to see the disallowed goal just before half tim again as i thought it was harsh to chalk ir out/ .  jesus, it would have been a quicker decision withVAR   than the time it took the linesmanto raise his flag. im assuming it was disallowed for offside but the commentry mentioned a foul in the build up, which was no worse than a recent one let go for either man city or liverpool(go figure).would of been helpful to see the penalty miss again just out of interest and the actual offence which was slightly harsh to be fair to brum. also ,in thier defence the late sending off was harsh regarding the tackle itself which perhaps didnt warrant a booking/second yellow.....but possibly it happened inside the box not just outside.They need to be careful they dont nosedive the rest of the season taking into account this performance and thier current safeposition, as for us i believe we need a 4 game winning streak at some point to cement a top 6 finish.

From what I've heard, we're going to try to sign Connolly permanently regardless of which division we're in next season and we're going to ask Arsenal if we can have Balogun on loan for another season. 

Sporar will go back to Sporting Lisbon.

17 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

From what I've heard, we're going to try to sign Connolly permanently regardless of which division we're in next season and we're going to ask Arsenal if we can have Balogun on loan for another season. 

Hope this is true. Then hopefully find a natural goalscorer as our fourth option, balogun might be that - he's certainly showing signs -but I don't think Connolly is. 

• Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

They obviously see something in Connolly that none of the fans have. I'd be willing to trust the staff on this he might well get up to speed and start scoring a boat-full as he's getting into more shooting positions than any other player (just can't hit a barn door). If you take away Sporar's penalty goals they're actually scoring at a similar rate Sporar (once every 404 minutes) Connolly (Once every 432 minutes). That's not a good look for either player and I'd be turning my attention elsewhere in the summer unless Connolly hits a vein of form and improves his performances (not writing him off just yet).

For reference Watmore (233 minutes), Flo (315 minutes) and even crooks (374 minutes) is outscoring them both as a midfielder. Extremely small sample size for Flo but with 2 goals 3 assists he's contributing to a goal every 126 minutes which is by far the best in the squad. 

I’m not interested in keeping Connolly notwithstanding his form I’m starting to get a little sick of his body language when he doesn’t get what he wants. It’s a bit rich demanding high standards off others when you’re not maintaining those high standards yourself. 
Balogun is starting to come on a bit now. I’d love him here next season if we don’t go up. He just needs to learn when to play and when not to play. Few times last night a 5 yard pass wouldve been far more beneficial for the team than him trying a trick. That decision making will come though.

Edited by Humpty
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Is Sporar injured or has he actually being dropped. I think either is plausible at least he hasn't really contributed alot in recent games.

Probably a combination of loss of form and us not wanting to trigger the buyout clause. He's no better than the rest, and if we don't want to keep him here for next season it's better to just give the minutes to Connolly, Balogun, Watmore and Coburn first. Sporar hasn't shown enough to suggest that we should be spending the rumoured 7 million and 30k a weeks. I'd rather go for someone cheaper.

• Like 1

Not sure I'd be going back in for Connolly, myself.

I don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as people have tried to make out, and he's actually been good in quite a few of the matches, but I think he's too small.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Not sure I'd be going back in for Connolly, myself.

I don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as people have tried to make out, and he's actually been good in quite a few of the matches, but I think he's too small.

Depends on the deal though. Say we can get him for 1,5-2 million and wages in line with the rest of the squad. That could be a decent deal. If it's something ridiculous like 5 million and 20k a week then a big fat no.

• Like 1