oneBoro Forum

Peterborough vs Boro 0-4 (Tavernier, Balogun, Coburn, Watmore)

PBOROvsboro.png.0dcd039ed21985548e98efe406aa1af0.png

Introduction:
With only 9 games remaining of the regular season (hopefully more for Boro), both teams still have a lot to play for, with each fixture being like a cup final. Boro find themselves located near the top end of the table, hoping to claim one of those delicious playoff places. Meanwhile Peterborough are sat comfortably in 23rd, on course for League 1 unless they can put a run together to save their season.

table.thumb.png.ca9304e9ab8b8af181589cc589e85fbe.png

Form:

Peterborough:
In Peterborough's last game, they managed an unexpected 3-1 victory against fellow Boro playoff rivals QPR. In their last five, they have managed 2 draws and a win, whilst also managing to score 2+ goals in their last 3 games. With their goalscoring form and potentially a missing Dael Fry / McNair, a clean sheet may be unlikely in this one so we'll have to actually put away our chances. They certainly look a lot better under new manager Grant McCann than they did under Ferguson, plus McCann has already done us over once this season at Hull.

image.png.19be1ac3b9c9518c86a87e0ea4ef9aae.png

Boro:
A mixed bag from Boro, managing 2 wins and a draw in their last 5 (although one of those includes Chelsea). In our last league game we finally managed to get the 3 points in an away fixture, so hopefully that will give the boys some extra confidence going into this one, as we really need our away form to improve to get one of those four playoff spots.
image.png.7dc87f55b26670a19a6246f6a80eb2e9.png

Predictions from the other side:

Courtesy of: https://theposhforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=472826&sid=29ecbf57fac14caf123fae10907b78ef#p472826

Posh 2 - Middlesbrough 2 (Ward, Marriott)
Posh 1 Middlesbrough 0 (Szmodics)
Posh 0 - 2 The other Brough
Posh 2 Middlesbrough 1 (Marriott 2)
Boro 3-1 Bruff Szmodics JCH Marriott

The last time we played:

Talking points:
1. If Dael Fry and/or McNair are out, who would you put in to replace them?
2. Which two forwards would you start and why?
3. Predict the final top 6 and bottom 3
4. Do you feel confident in Joe Lumley, especially with such high pressure games coming up?
5. With easter coming up, what's your easter egg of choice this year?
6. Score predictions

• Like 8
  • Weasel changed the title to Peterborough vs Boro
  • Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Introduction: With only 9 games remaining of the regular season (hopefully more for Boro), both teams still have a lot to play for, with each fixture being like a cup final. Boro find themselves loc

We needed this international break but I cannot wait for league football to start again now. Proper football 7 days a week again for a while, I've missed it more than normal.

Posted Images

There's only a few options.

Bamba for Fry, Peltier for McNair.

If only one is deemed unfit, I'd be starting Bamba

Connolly and Balogun, as they both scored* in our last league match.

I'd be giving Coburn a solid half hour in the second half though.

Top 6- Fulham, Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest

Bottom 3 - Barnsley, Derby, Peterborough

4. Do you feel confident in Joe Lumley, especially with such high pressure games coming up?

Had no complaints about Lumley since before the Spurs game, he'll do till the end of the season, though I'm sure he'll make one last howler at some point before the end.

5. With easter coming up, what's your easter egg of choice this year?

Just the 99p Cadbury ones, I can only handle so much chocolate.

6. Score predictions

Peterborough 1-3 Middlesbrough.

Connolly to score one of them.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1

If its only Paddy out, I would be tempted to start Bola as the left sided of a 3 man defence to give us better balance.

If just Fry then Bamba

If both then Bamba and Bola

Coburn and Balogun

Top 6- Fulham, Bournemouth, Sheffield United, Middlesbrough, Huddersfield and Nottingham Forest

Bottom 3 - Barnsley, Derby, Peterborough

What @TeaCider24 said

5. With easter coming up, what's your easter egg of choice this year?

Always a Creme Egg.

6. Score predictions

Peterborough 1-3 Middlesbrough.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Weasel said:

PBOROvsboro.png.0dcd039ed21985548e98efe406aa1af0.png

Introduction:
With only 9 games remaining of the regular season (hopefully more for Boro), both teams still have a lot to play for, with each fixture being like a cup final. Boro find themselves located near the top end of the table, hoping to claim one of those delicious playoff places. Meanwhile Peterborough are sat comfortably in 23rd, on course for League 1 unless they can put a run together to save their season.

table.thumb.png.ca9304e9ab8b8af181589cc589e85fbe.png

Form:

Peterborough:
In Peterborough's last game, they managed an unexpected 3-1 victory against fellow Boro playoff rivals QPR. In their last five, they have managed 2 draws and a win, whilst also managing to score 2+ goals in their last 3 games. With their goalscoring form and potentially a missing Dael Fry / McNair, a clean sheet may be unlikely in this one so we'll have to actually put away our chances. They certainly look a lot better under new manager Grant McCann than they did under Ferguson, plus McCann has already done us over once this season at Hull.

image.png.19be1ac3b9c9518c86a87e0ea4ef9aae.png

Boro:
A mixed bag from Boro, managing 2 wins and a draw in their last 5 (although one of those includes Chelsea). In our last league game we finally managed to get the 3 points in an away fixture, so hopefully that will give the boys some extra confidence going into this one, as we really need our away form to improve to get one of those four playoff spots.
image.png.7dc87f55b26670a19a6246f6a80eb2e9.png

Predictions from the other side:

Courtesy of: https://theposhforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=472826&sid=29ecbf57fac14caf123fae10907b78ef#p472826

Posh 2 - Middlesbrough 2 (Ward, Marriott)
Posh 1 Middlesbrough 0 (Szmodics)
Posh 0 - 2 The other Brough
Posh 2 Middlesbrough 1 (Marriott 2)
Boro 3-1 Bruff Szmodics JCH Marriott

The last time we played:

Talking points:
6. Score predictions

1. If Dael Fry and/or McNair are out, who would you put in to replace them?

I'd replace Fry with Bamba and Mcnair with wood. Peterborough don't have any big physical forwards and I think Wood's pace would be more helpful against the likes of Clarke-Harris and Szmodics. He's an England u21 International and should be playing imo although I don't know about the contract situation and whether that's affecting anything. 

2. Which two forwards would you start and why?

I'd start with Coburn and Balogun with Watmore first choice off the bench. Simply they are our 3 most effective forwards and I think coburn and balogun would work well as a pair with baloguns creativity in and around the box and coburns instinctive movement and finishing with height and a bit of physicality for the odd high clearance I think they could be a decent partnership. 

3. Predict the final top 6 and bottom 3

1. Fulham 2. Bournemouth 3. Sheff Utd 4. Forest 5. Boro 6. Blackburn 22. Barnsley 23. Posh 24. Derby

4. Do you feel confident in Joe Lumley, especially with such high pressure games coming up?

I was of the opinion that I thought Lumley would cut the mistakes out as he got more 1st team experience and said as much on here before. I think he's improved as the season has gone on but I have been very disappointed with his shot stopping against sheff utd and Chelsea which I always thought was his biggest assett. I still think he will have more good games than bad until the end of the season but I don't 100% trust him at the moment.

5. With easter coming up, what's your easter egg of choice this year?

I could do a couple of cadburys mini eggs maybe a full chocolate egg box would write me off these days.

6. Score predictions

Posh 1 - 2 Boro

I think Balogun continues his scoring streak.

• Like 2

This won't happen because they'll both be fit, but I'd be tempted to give Grant 'Normanby' Hall a game. And Sol Bamba of course. Who else? Captain Fantastic Jonny H at the back? Why not...?

Connolly and Balogun - the more they play together, they'll just keep getting better and better. I know - who knew?

Top 6: Fulham, Bournemouth, Sheff U, Forest, Boro, QPR (Hudds and Blackburn to bottle it)
Bottom 3: Barnsley, Derby, Posh

Sorry to say this but I love Lumley - eccentricity rating is off the scale. A bang average keeper asked to play sweeper keeps is an excellent ploy. I don't think the mistakes will go away fully, but he's getting better. He's Boro's Grobbelaar - feel free to dig this post out when he makes his 243rd appearance for us

The same as it is every year. Chocolate orange

6. Score predictions

Posh 1 - Boro 5

• Like 1

Feels like a must win but can't say I'm confident. Thanks to injuries and international call ups, I'm not sure we're going to get the rest and time on the training ground with Wilder the squad needs.

It will be classic Boro to balls this up and then beat Fulham!

12 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Feels like a must win but can't say I'm confident. Thanks to injuries and international call ups, I'm not sure we're going to get the rest and time on the training ground with Wilder the squad needs.

It is a must win with Fulham and Bournemouth coming up soon after there's a decent chance we lose both of those.

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

There's only Balogun away that impacts us as he's played a lot for us and is playing for the U21s.

McNair will have either had 2 weeks rest or will play 1 game in 2 weeks after a knock.

Sporar is getting valuable game time after being out of our side for a while through illness.

Wood won't feature for us unless we're out of play-off contention or it's already confirmed.

Everyone else has had 2 weeks to rest and recover, they've all also trained with the exception of Fry, McGree and Payero.

We're playing the worst team in the league, who've conceded 76 goals in 38 games and would be 15 points from safety if not for points deductions, if we're unable to properly prepare because of a handful of absences then something is wrong.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

We're playing the worst team in the league, who've conceded 76 goals in 38 games and would be 15 points from safety if not for points deductions, if we're unable to properly prepare because of a handful of absences then something is wrong.

There seemed a misplaced air of belief on here about the Barnsley game with most of us fairly disinterested in posting pre-match presumably as it was a foregone conclusion. The way the Team played that day I suspect the same misplaced confidence was in the Boro camp. Let's hope we now develop a ruthless streak for the run in and taking nothing for granted. Beating Man United and Spurs but losing to Barnsley isn't acceptable. "Typical Boro" will beat Fulham and draw with Bournemouth after we have lost to Peterborough.

• Like 2

Should be an away win but after being outplayed totally by Barnsley who knows! Peterborough had a great win at QPR last time out, but QPR did waste good chances before Peterborough got back into it. Should be an away win but who knows! 

Also - I'm going to this one! If anyone knows anywhere good to park please do share 🙂 

There are a few big matches this weekend where at least one team around us will drop points. It could prove a pivotal weekend for us. 

Friday

Hull vs Huddersfield

Saturday

Blackpool vs Notts Forest   (Early kickoff)

Coventry Vs Blackburn 

QPR vs Fulham

Bournemouth vs Bristol City

Luton vs Millwall

Stoke vs Sheff Utd

I can’t help feeling it will be a typical Boro weekend though. I hope not as we have the quality to beat what are easily the worst team in the league.

I expect an unchanged line up injuries permitting. If Fry is out then Bamba in. I will be more concerned if we have several changes at the back especially if we line up with Peltier Bamba Djik.

I am hopeful  about reaching the play offs but not confident. We’ve been on a great run and are falling short. We need to really up our levels for this final push - particularly away. I think the next four games (after Peterbrough) will be crucial if we are adrift by more than 4points at the end of that I think it’s game over.

If we are within a match of the playoffs we have a real fighting chance. 

• Like 3

Fully expect a win if we're at it. We should be well prepared and chomping at the bit. We're fully sold out now 3,700 of us there. Managed to get a ticket, so looking forward to it a good day.

• Like 3

Talking points:

Bamba would definitely slot in there nicely for one of them. I doubt both will be out

Watmore, because he's a ginger ninja.

Sporar, because he's Slovenian.

He's doing a bit better these days. If we dont get in the play offs, I don't think it will be because of him.

5. With easter coming up, what's your easter egg of choice this year?

Co-ops own brand easter eggs are usually pretty good. 

6. Score predictions

2- 0 to Boro. Watmore and Balogun to score

Sol comes straight in for either of them. Wood for me if they're both out.

Coburn and Balogun, with Sporar and Watmore hopefully available if needed as the game goes on.

Allowing for the fact you could pull names out of a bag at this stage and have the same likelihood of being right:

Top six: Fulham, Bournemouth, Luton, Forest, us, Sheffield United. Bottom three: Derby (yay!), Peterborough, Reading

More confident than I did. As long as he's not first choice next season.

I do love Yorkie chocolate, so a Yorkie egg would be just the ticket.

6. Score predictions

1-2 to the Boro, Coburn and Tav to score.

22 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Sol comes straight in for either of them. Wood for me if they're both out.

Oh yeeah, you like it when we've got no defence don't you?! Giggity giggity

• Haha 2
  • Downsouth changed the title to Peterborough vs Boro 0-4 (Tavernier, Balogun, Coburn, Watmore)