oneBoro Forum

10 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Exactly. I think in the short term he is the right man to rebuild the club. 

I'd say he's the right man in the long term.

He's got an excellent managerial record, bar one bad season, and it's been half a season with a squad he largely didn't pick.

You could rightly point out that the two strikers he personally signed in January are struggling and underwhelming, and it's a fair criticism, but I don't think it's faith in Lumley, I think it's a lack of faith in the alternatives.

We were limited by finances in who we could sign this January as it is, he may have thought he could get a tune out of Lumley and focus the money on other signings that we tried for but they didn't pan out, most of his absolute howlers happened before Wilder was appointed or after January.

Or, given we've signed 6 goalkeepers in the last 3 seasons, and also tried Pears in that time, the club might have just told him to deal with it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disappointing today, and another mark against Wilder in my book unfortunately.  Midweek was as well although I think he perhaps got more of a pass because of the opposition, and because we came close

You can tell from Howson's super secret pre-corner ball bounces what the routine is going to be...  1 bounce = hit the first man 2 bounces = straight to the keeper 3 bounces = out the f

First game in 3 years for me, haven't seen us win since 2015 so hopefully the curse has been lifted 

Posted Images

I think a few people need to just breathe.  Yes today was really frustrating but I’ve always had the feeling that he’s wanted a few more players.  I think he’s brought in players that were available and we were not in a position to buy.  
It’s 2-3 1st team players short and we are good to go.  I also think a full pre season with the players is really important.  
Annoyed we lost today but it’s not over yet and going up this year will be crap to some extent, we are not ready but the financial gain would be very helpful.

It will be fine 😂

• Like 3

Think Wilder hinted/let slip his true long term feelings today about Lumley on the radio today.

Sure he said something along the lines of. “i have defended Joe for long enough but I cant today”. Which almost suggests his previous defence of him was good management as opposed to any genuine defence of his performances/ability.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Think Wilder hinted/let slip his true long term feelings today about Lumley on the radio today.

Sure he said something along the lines of. “i have defended Joe for long enough but I cant today”. Which almost suggests his previous defence of him was good management as opposed to any genuine defence of his performances/ability.

"It's a disappointing goal, the goalkeeper needs to do better. I’ve protected him for quite a while now, Joe (Lumley). There is no real hiding place there, it is another poor goal."

That's the exact quote.

It might just be the frustration of a very damaging result, but his patience may be wearing out.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

"It's a disappointing goal, the goalkeeper needs to do better. I’ve protected him for quite a while now, Joe (Lumley). There is no real hiding place there, it is another poor goal."

That's the exact quote.

It might just be the frustration of a very damaging result, but his patience may be wearing out.

I think it's just a lack of patience in standing up for him. I think Lumley would have had to do something spectacular to convince him that he was the right man in the long term. I think the faith in that was worn out a long time ago.

And to be fair to the club, it's not like they've shelled a ton of money on him or Daniels.

45 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That's the exact quote.

Thanks @TeaCider24. I did not want to misquote him hence why I said “something down the lines of”.

It could be frustration as some say but usually when a GK messes up and the manager has genuine faith in GK then the manager says something like “he has saved us plenty of times before” or “Joe knows he should do better but we win and lose as a team”’etc.

That particular quote from Wilder sounded more like a manager whose patience is running very thin with Lumley.

25 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Lumley is finished at the club. Wilder fuming.

Shame Connolly hasn't been sent back. 

Is he going to play Daniels/Brynn for the rest of the season? I'm not keen on young keepers getting thrown in to rescue the end of a season because the pressure can easily destroy them - much better to build them gradually.  From what I saw, Daniels gave me even less confidence than Lumley.  

1 hour ago, TheJew said:

Lumley is finished at the club. Wilder fuming.

Shame Connolly hasn't been sent back. 

Every single comment you make about any player or situation you have to tag on an insult about Connolly.

It's bordering on obsession, I don't know what's weirder, this or your love of Marvin Johnson

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Disappointing today, and another mark against Wilder in my book unfortunately.  Midweek was as well although I think he perhaps got more of a pass because of the opposition, and because we came close to not losing.  I'm not a fan of managers who are pretty much inflexible in their thinking.  Even the likes of Klopp, and Guardiola, who essentially have the best squads in world football, sometimes change their approach a bit.  When you don't have the best players in the world then it's more incumbent on managers/head coaches to get the best out of whatever they do have.  There's no way on earth that this means constantly playing the exact same shape, same tactics, no matter the situation, or the opposition.  Wilder seems intent on doing that though.

Today we were once again without Jones.  Forgetting what he brings in terms of his individual talent for a moment, what this essentially means is that we don't have an attacking right hand side.  Theoretically you could play McNair there perhaps, or Dijksteel possibly, but neither give you what Jones gives you, and neither concern the opposition like Jones does.  Moving your best midfielder to the right hand side so that you can keep the same shape is just dumb however.  Probably as dumb as refusing to recall a player who seems to be wanted by half the top clubs in Europe because 'we don't need him' or 'he wouldn't be playing'.  We do need him, he would be playing, just as long as we had a manager with a little flexibility, which unfortunately comes back to a cross against Wilder.

At this point someone, perhaps even Wilder, might say that we looked better in midweek when Tavernier went to right wing back.  Actually, no, we looked better when we replaced two fairly slow fullbacks with two players who could run and have a bit of pace, and looking better when you haven't really done much as an attacking side really isn't that difficult.  In midweek I think Wilder, realising Jones was out, played a weakened side in my opinion.  The two striker changes were part of it.  That we nearly got something after he replaced some of his changes isn't a tick for Wilder.  We wasted the best part of an hour doing nothing. 

The game today to me was crying out for four at the back from the start.  Why play wingbacks when you only have one available?  Bola, McNair, Fry, Dijksteel as a back four would have been fine.  That then allows you to keep Tavernier as a midfielder, and play another midfielder or attacking player against a team who were likely to sit back.  In fact, just playing four at the back would have allowed us to drop Crooks if we wanted to (I know some people do).  It would have given us options, and we didn't really have them with the way we set up.  Not to mention that every team out there knows in advance what we're going to do.  All of this is on Wilder.  He, or people on here, can complain about the squad if they want to, but we have enough players to play something other than 3-5-2 week after week.

We can definitely say that Lumley has again made a mistake, this one costing us a goal.  But without conceding that goal we were still only on for a goalless draw, which would be a poor result in itself.  We're a better team than we were under Warnock, which I am grateful for.  We play better football for the most part, which I am grateful for.  But Wilder is beginning to look like a one trick pony, and I would really like to see more from him, not the players.  Harsh possibly but that's where I'm at currently.

In all fairnes I remember bringing this issue up as soon as wilder took charge. Questioning the use of 532 with our current squad and turning our best talent in a generation into a wingback. (OK he's still excellent but why waste his attacking attributes requiring him to defend for the majority of the game.) But I remember certain posters telling me I was overeacting Jones and that I had no clue in what I was saying. I got absolute dogs abuse from certain people. Also when I said Sporar wasn't good enough in November and I'm still amazed at the amount of support he has compared to the likes of tav and Fry. 

Don't get me wrong I was happily eating my words at first but after the initial bounce its been as expected to me as with I look at our squad I just don't see the harmony with the current tactics.

I definitely think wilder can bring us success I never doubted he couldn't long term just short term with the players we had. we need very smart recruitment from scott in the summer to get us a squad who can demonstrate what is being asked on the training ground in games more than not. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

It certainly did leave us in a better position.

We were close to breaching FFP before we were promoted when Gibson pulled out all the stops for Karanka.

We then had 2 seasons of solid spending which we wouldn't otherwise have been able to manage.

Monk and Pulis messed those seasons up, and wasted the benefits, but the benefits were still very much there.

If we hadn't been promoted at all, we'd have possibly had a points deduction and been struggling in mid table with weaker finances than ever because of that one big push.

That’s the thing though. You’re taking about being better off in financial terms, I’m talking about being better off in footballing ones. The Monk/Pulis/Woodgate years were awful. The season in the PL was depressing.  I think Gibson has learnt a big lesson around spending and going all out for promotion - he won’t want to ever be in a position where if we don’t go up we will have a points deduction (I didn’t know that was on the cards to be honest - with Gibson being so outspoken about FFP). 

Feeling happy to go up, get hammered every week to leave us better financially, where we might or might not spend wisely isn’t for me. I’d much rather another season in the Championship with Wilder and Scott building the team so if we do get promoted, we don’t need to buy 10-15 players to give us any chance of competing. I don’t think we’re ready this season. Our form is too patchy. 

Besides, the best part of promotion is the journey to get there! 

• Like 1

I still think we will make the playoff and would be disappointed if we didn’t but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t. I don’t think we are a premier club, cutting the cloth, but there is nothing wrong flirting with ambition and some exciting football. Basically what I’m saying is aim high but keep our feet on the ground. 

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’d much rather another season in the Championship with Wilder and Scott building the team so if we do get promoted, we don’t need to buy 10-15 players to give us any chance of competing.

Another season would make us stronger and better able to cope in the Premier league, but let's not kid ourselves we'll still get battered on a regular basis whenever we go up. 

• Like 2