• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disappointing today, and another mark against Wilder in my book unfortunately.  Midweek was as well although I think he perhaps got more of a pass because of the opposition, and because we came close

You can tell from Howson's super secret pre-corner ball bounces what the routine is going to be...  1 bounce = hit the first man 2 bounces = straight to the keeper 3 bounces = out the f

First game in 3 years for me, haven't seen us win since 2015 so hopefully the curse has been lifted 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

I thought Hernandez was starting to play well for wilder when he had him up top. If we had of kept him I think he'd have start making more goal contributions. His performances around Xmas time were better than what Connolly gives us now for me. He was coming back from a long injury lay off so was always going to be a bit rusty at first.

Totally agree and said so when he left. He worked all over the pitch especially final third, ok not with too much impact but he was improving but neither Balogun nor Connolly work that way. Still no longer an option just wish our favoured two could be more impactful

8 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Totally agree and said so when he left. He worked all over the pitch especially final third, ok not with too much impact but he was improving but neither Balogun nor Connolly work that way. Still no longer an option just wish our favoured two could be more impactful

The favoured 2 are garbage, especially Connolly.

11 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

"It's a disappointing goal, the goalkeeper needs to do better. I’ve protected him for quite a while now, Joe (Lumley). There is no real hiding place there, it is another poor goal."

That's the exact quote.

It might just be the frustration of a very damaging result, but his patience may be wearing out.

If I were Wilder I'd be pretty exasperated too.

Lumley has shown on occasion that he can be a very capable keeper - particularly during our Cup run. In a lot of our recent league games he's also made at least one valuable contribution.

But for every good thing he does, he also does 2 or 3 that leave you tearing your hair out. Physically and technically I'd say he's fine. But his judgement / reading of games and attitude I would say leave a lot to be desired. 

31 minutes ago, TheJew said:

The favoured 2 are garbage, especially Connolly.

There is a decent footballer in there somewhere. From what I've seen of him, he's just being played in the wrong role.

He's not a forward - he's an attacking midfielder.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12586365/middlesbrough-0-1-hull-championship-highlights

I am so sorry everyone but need to be fair with the showing of highlights and this one a lowlight.

Why Howson and Paddy were simply passengers instead of carrying the team is beyond me

A bit unfair to pick on them, when they often carry the team (along with Jones). Can't be expected to do it all the time and its high time we had an entire outfield that pulled their weight.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

A bit unfair to pick on them, when they often carry the team (along with Jones). Can't be expected to do it all the time and its high time we had an entire outfield that pulled their weight.

Hear what you say but when the need is at the most due to the current state of affairs then yes I do expect more leadership and desire from the "elder statesman" we can not do the "typical" stuff at such an important time.

7 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

In all fairnes I remember bringing this issue up as soon as wilder took charge. Questioning the use of 532 with our current squad and turning our best talent in a generation into a wingback. (OK he's still excellent but why waste his attacking attributes requiring him to defend for the majority of the game.) But I remember certain posters telling me I was overeacting Jones and that I had no clue in what I was saying. I got absolute dogs abuse from certain people. Also when I said Sporar wasn't good enough in November and I'm still amazed at the amount of support he has compared to the likes of tav and Fry. 

Don't get me wrong I was happily eating my words at first but after the initial bounce its been as expected to me as with I look at our squad I just don't see the harmony with the current tactics.

I definitely think wilder can bring us success I never doubted he couldn't long term just short term with the players we had. we need very smart recruitment from scott in the summer to get us a squad who can demonstrate what is being asked on the training ground in games more than not. 

Well said.

Thats why I've kept my expectations for this season low and didn't expect us to make the top 6.

We don't really have the squad to play Wilder's way and thats why we look poor so often. Even with our best available players we struggle to play as a cohesive unit and when we lose just 1or 2 players like Jones, we look absolutely hopeless.

As I said before I think the squad will need a major overhaul in the Summer to make Wilder's tactics effective and give us a decent chance of promotion next season.

• Like 1

A comment was made yesterday which rings true to a degree, maybe a fair number of players have burnt out?????

Also and we all know it will happen Crooks is one card away from a 3/4 game ban right at the wrong time, self discipline and he seem to be strangers at the moment.

We will be without him when possibly most needed.

We have issues which have come at the wrong time

27 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

A comment was made yesterday which rings true to a degree, maybe a fair number of players have burnt out?????

Also and we all know it will happen Crooks is one card away from a 3/4 game ban right at the wrong time, self discipline and he seem to be strangers at the moment.

We will be without him when possibly most needed.

We have issues which have come at the wrong time

I wonder if this is down to Wilder's insistence on playing the same players as often as possible or the fact we don't have adequate replacements?

Its a weird situation.

He's adapting the players he has available to play his preferred 3-5-2 system, with varying degrees of success. He also insists on using the same players, game after game. Is this because the squad players are blatantly not as good as his preferred starting XI, or more down to Wilder not really trusting them?

I know our squad is a bit light on talent, but most other clubs in the top half of the table don't seem to suffer problems with burnout, as we appear to be doing. At least not to the same degree.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'd drop Crooks for Payero when he's fit again, personally.

McGree and Payero in that midfield could be special.

They would definitely speed things up and add more pace and energy. Our build up play looks like slow motion with our "to you, to me" Chuckle Brother football getting up the pitch. By the time we do get there the opposition have circled the Wagons. We seem incapable of making the ball do the work and play it first time into spaces for our Players to run onto cutting defences open and instead prefer to pirouette, pass sideways or backwards and then pass to eternity around a crowded 18 yard box.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

We’re definitely missing a more physical presence up front, Connolly and Balogun are far too similar. A strike partnership needs to bring varying qualities 

This is why I'd like to see Coburn being paired with either Balogun or Watmore. He's a pretty big lad who can hold his own against big, physical defenders. Help create a bit of space for the smaller guys.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Redcar Rioja said:

They would definitely speed things up and add more pace and energy. Our build up play looks like slow motion with our "to you, to me" Chuckle Brother football getting up the pitch. By the time we do get there the opposition have circled the Wagons. We seem incapable of making the ball do the work and play it first time into spaces for our Players to run onto cutting defences open and instead prefer to pirouette, pass sideways or backwards and then pass to eternity around a crowded 18 yard box.

And we wonder why we have problems scoring goals (other than against very poor teams).

So many times we are reduced to shooting hopefully through crowded penalty areas, where we're basically looking for a lucky deflection to wrong-foot the keeper. Either that or long range efforts from outside the area.

Its so rare for us to actually get behind an opposition defence and create clear scoring opportunities (while not being offside).

• Like 1