oneBoro Forum

8 hours ago, TheJew said:

Absolute t1ts.

I don't understand how anyone sees a player in there. Complete fraud of a player and will never ever make it in the Premiership or Championship. I don't even think he will make it in league 1.

Connolly is not a complete fraud of a player he is what he is we have seen it and know it and sadly too much is expected of him from the likes of us.

He is the scapegoat certainly but there could be others who could easily take on that mantle judging by their recent performances.

Example when did Jones last have a really good game and made a real difference, why does he not get into the box more often with runs that could have easily allowed him to. Surely all players thrive on scoring after all that is what they like to do so why has Jones only scored one solitory goal this season.? I am aware that some will give the reason as he is being marked out of the game but hat does not wash he should be better than that!  As I said just an example and we know there are plenty of others.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disappointing today, and another mark against Wilder in my book unfortunately.  Midweek was as well although I think he perhaps got more of a pass because of the opposition, and because we came close

You can tell from Howson's super secret pre-corner ball bounces what the routine is going to be...  1 bounce = hit the first man 2 bounces = straight to the keeper 3 bounces = out the f

First game in 3 years for me, haven't seen us win since 2015 so hopefully the curse has been lifted 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I know Connolly is getting slated, but do people really think we are creating clear cut chances and playing to their strengths? I mean Connolly scored an offside goal yesterday when we only had 4 shots on target all game?

A striker should communicate with the team advising preference and that’s were we don’t seem to have the cohesion. Once in the last third players have brain farts and loose direction and momentum. 

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

A striker should communicate with the team advising preference and that’s were we don’t seem to have the cohesion. Once in the last third players have brain farts and loose direction and momentum. 

If you watched the game on Saturday, you’d have seen so many times Connolly was pointing into the space behind their defence, but instead we passed it slowly about and always went out wide and thus the space had gone. 
Connolly and Balogun didn’t have any good balls played through for them to run on. That is surely a tactical choice, but we are choosing to go out wide instead. 
As I said earlier, I don’t think thats the forwards problem. More of a tactical choice. 

• Like 3

I have been saying it for several seasons now that its the players we have, they are incapable of independent  speed of thought.  Whilst they may be professional and attempting to do exactly what the manager asks them to do, occasionally it requires a moment of brilliance where they think outside the box.

All to often we attack and then stop just outside the oppositions box, play it to one side, then to the other and back again, apparently stretching the the opposing team and looking for an opening that never comes. Why, because that' exactly what they have been told to do! When we get in this position it all becomes to congested and we dont have the skill, speed of thought, ability or movement to capitalise.

A lot of our crosses are low and into an area which our forwards are meant to be to get onto the end of them, this is all well and good and the foundations for goals, but its not the be all and end all. 

A lot of passes are to the player where he is and not where hes going, often meaning he has to check his run or its read by the defending players, resulting in a broken down attack.

What we really need is another player like Ramirez, someone that's a little unpredictable and has that little something and until we get that, im afraid as a team we are nowhere near ready to eat at the big table!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

What we really need is another player like Ramirez, someone that's a little unpredictable and has that little something and until we get that, im afraid as a team we are nowhere near ready to eat at the big table!

Maybe Payero when he is fit along with McGree can add that visionary spark and movement. Tav should benefit from it too. Add Jones and Bola down the flanks and the ingredients are all there. Thinking back didn't Payero and Coburn link up cleverly for a goal some months back with quick feet and passing on the edge of a box? We need to stop passing to statues and start passing into areas where a Red shirt should be in two second time to anticipate receiving and/or running onto the ball.

I remember watching Wenger's Arsenal years ago and being amazed how teammates always provided at least three if not four passing options off the ball for the Player in possession. An Arsenal Player could literally pass it without looking knowing that it was someone's responsibility to anticipate and to be there. To do that you need clever Players and of course drilling but it is light years from watching us pass the ball around 20 yards out hurting nobody and as often as not passing it back to Fry or worse still Lumley to put the fear of God into us as he gets closed down and takes two touches.

• Like 1

I think as fans we are still pinning a lot of hope on Payero, from what little we have seen of him so far I must say im not convinced. 
I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to language/communication barriers, and whilst I dont expect to be able to speak fluent english just yet, I do think that he has had enough time to start to understand the basics.  The reason im saying this is when Ive seen him he has looked a bit lost on the pitch, almost as though hes not entirely certain of his role and what he should be doing........it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the table after a pre season when he is fully fit and up to speed.
Hopefully, as you say, he will work well with Tav and McGree and add some mobility and fluidity to our midfield, currently I think there is a lot of responsibility on Tavs shoulders to make things happen and having the other 2 on the pitch should take some of that from him and allow him to play his own game.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

If you watched the game on Saturday, you’d have seen so many times Connolly was pointing into the space behind their defence, but instead we passed it slowly about and always went out wide and thus the space had gone. 
Connolly and Balogun didn’t have any good balls played through for them to run on. That is surely a tactical choice, but we are choosing to go out wide instead. 
As I said earlier, I don’t think thats the forwards problem. More of a tactical choice. 

The thing was that Connolly was only pointing for the run, he didn't actually make the run.

He only starts to run once the ball is played so he is reacting at the same time as the defender and not making the move first.

Even if he doesn't get the ball from his run it makes the defenders need to think more and drop deeper, creating space in front of them for our midfield.

• Like 2
On 4/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, Redcar Rioja said:

I called the Peterborough performance last week "worrying" despite scoring four goals against the worst defence in the Championship and got pelters for it, careful!

Rightly so. There was very little wrong with the Peterborough performance.

23 minutes ago, Humpty said:

You really think so?

I remember being surprised we didn't concede any goals. Even against Posh we looked vulnerable and we were just lucky they are even worse than us at scoring.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Scoring four goals against the Championship's weakest defence didn't cover up the cracks for me and I said so at the time. We looked half decent because of the quality of the opposition, not because of our quality. We have gone off the boil recently for whatever reason be it fatigue, attitude, tactics, injuries etc. and it was evident to me then despite the result.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Scoring four goals against the Championship's weakest defence didn't cover up the cracks for me and I said so at the time. We looked half decent because of the quality of the opposition, not because of our quality. We have gone off the boil recently for whatever reason be it fatigue, attitude, tactics, injuries etc. and it was evident to me then despite the result.

We're massively missing Jones.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We are.

I also think teams have us a bit sussed and we don’t really have a plan b.

You make a good point any opposition manager who has watched us player know that we try to get the ball to Jones at every given opportunity. I'm surprised when Jones has the ball that they don't put 2 men on him to try and stifle him and hold up the play. Our danger comes from the wings because we're not that good in the centre of midfield. 

• Like 1

The thing is Wilder has come in and impressed his way of playing on the players. They have been given instructions on where to play the ball and where to move to. In the short term this has worked and to be fair to CW, it’s probably the best way to do things when you come in half way through a season and are expected to stamp your mark on a team that have been coached to play a very different way by the previous manager. 

The downside is that the players are turned into automatons to a certain extent and you very often see them playing the same balls over and over again, often giving away possession because the opposition know how we are going to move the ball around.

Hopefully, next season we can keep the bulk of the squad..add a flare player and a striker or two early on and allow them to show a little more individuality on the ball. 

A full pre-season could make a lot of difference. 

• Like 3

I think others have said this, but it bears repeating. I do not think we have a deep squad. We certainly do not have a back up for Jones. Don't get me wrong, Tav played well as RWB, but we missed him in the middle. I would expect us to recruit for Wilder's system in the summer. Why didn't we do that in January? I'm sure we did, but it is much tougher to do in January.

I still think Wilder is the best long term option for us.