oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

8 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

I really like Tav, and would be sad to see him go but he can be so frustrating to watch some times. He clearly has the talent, just wish he wasnt so wasteful with some of the chances he's had this season. But I think the club had one eye on him leaving, that's why in my opinion Mcgree was signed, as competition/replacement for Tav. 

Dael also on his day he is definitely one of the best defender in the league but like Wilder said he needs to be more dominant, that will come with age I reckon. But he isn't irreplaceable, there are a few good CBs around which we could replace him with. 

Tav has been one of my favourites but you are correct in saying he can be frustrating. Tav can become a top player but it’s up to him how much he commits over the coming years. Tav is raw and needs to learn and channel his energy and skill to be effective something he lacks right now. With the right coach he has a bright future. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

Tav has been one of my favourites but you are correct in saying he can be frustrating. Tav can become a top player but it’s up to him how much he commits over the coming years. Tav is raw and needs to learn and channel his energy and skill to be effective something he lacks right now. With the right coach he has a bright future. 

I think Tav does get very emotional and when things aren't going to plan he can lose his head. Remember  against Huddersfield him arguing with Bola on the touchline, 

• Like 1

I’d sell Fry with a loan back option. He isn’t going to be a premmy starter, but is important to us. 
Tav has looked better, but still doesn’t convince me with his conviction around the pitch and in the final third. 
If we can accommodate him still developing and getting players in then I’d be happy for it. 

But, I’d rather sacrifice an erratic and unpredictable Tav over Fry.

I think it will be Tav that'll end up going. I think he'll have more interest and fetch a higher fee than Dael currently. 

On the face of it 5 goals and 5 assists (especially for someone who takes our set pieces) shouldn't be particularly difficult to replace. However is energy and workrate certainly will be. 

• Like 1

We already have McGree as a ready-made replacement for Tavernier at LCM, so while it would be a blow to lose Tavernier, we're pretty well prepared to lose him. Then we'd just need to sign a back-up LCM, assuming Caolon Boyd-Munce isn't ready yet. We don't have anyone ready to step in for Fry so we'd need to sign both a replacement and a back-up CB. Ideally it will be one experienced leader such as the current captains of their clubs like Sean Morrison from Cardiff or Darragh Lenihan from Blackburn to add leadership and aggression to the team - both of whom are out of contract, and one for the future like Harry Darling from MK Dons or Ross Sykes from Accrington. I really like the look of Darling in particular. For a 22 year old CB he's very mature and composed on the ball.

MK Dons have some serious talents, particularly the very unique Scott Twine who we should be all over. He naturally plays the dropping off striker role when we're in a 3-5-2 and I'm sure he could play as a #10 behind two strikers in a 5-2-1-2 like how Nottingham Forest generally play with Brennan Johnson linking things up from the #10 role. At times this season we've changed to that 5-2-1-2 formation when chasing a game, usually with Watmore awkwardly playing the #10 role, so that will surely interest Wilder and Scott in Twine.

Previously we've been awful at deciding when to buy and sell players, and this is a key barometer of what I'll measure Scott's success against in his time here. I'm more than happy for us to be brave with selling currently key players like Fry and Tavernier, with the aim being to reinvest the money wisely across many areas of the team as I think we have some good foundations in place to build from. We need a hell of a lot of new players in key areas, especially strikers which are usually expensive, so I understand why we'd want to sell players to raise funds. Spence being sold should raise around £15 million, which will be a massive boost to our budget. Throw in selling Tavernier (£8 million?) and/or Fry (£10 million?) then we're going to have a huge amount of budget to build a team with, albeit with even more work to do. There's tough decisions to be made.

• Like 1

Signing McGree points to the potential sale of Tavernier as he is a like for like replacement. In fact when Bola was left out it was Tav who dropped into LWB while McGree was favoured in the midfield role. It fits the Brentford model, signing players for relatively low fees and then selling established players at a premium with the replacement already in place. 

• Like 3

I find it bizarre that people think we can get 15m for Spence and only 8m for Tav. I think that Spence is a decent player but he is nowhere near as good as Tav. If Spence is 15m then Tav is 20m+ 

I would be beyond disappointed if Tav was to go for less money than Spence 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I find it bizarre that people think we can get 15m for Spence and only 8m for Tav. I think that Spence is a decent player but he is nowhere near as good as Tav. If Spence is 15m then Tav is 20m+ 

Spence genuinely looked excellent for Forest this season, I don't think it would be too much of a slight against Tav if he went for less money than Spence.

Losing Tav would be a massive blow though he is a top player and will do brilliantly for someone if he does go. 

37 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m still adamant that the Forest-Arsenal game added about 5-7mill at least onto Spence’s price tag. He went from being worth what maybe a few mill (?) to £15mill literally over night. It’s amazing what a big game on the TV can do. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I’m still adamant that the Forest-Arsenal game added about 5-7mill at least onto Spence’s price tag. He went from being worth what maybe a few mill (?) to £15mill literally over night. It’s amazing what a big game on the TV can do. 

It appears to have gotten Howson a new contract here.

If you remember when Spence broke through there was talk of £10m interest so it's not down to one game. As soon as he went to Forest he was playing well.  Look at their message boards and he was their best player as far as they were concerned pretty much from the start.  Clubs are always watching players, they'll have known that Warnock wasn't using him properly, anyone with a brain could see that.  To me it's pretty simple, he must be 6ft tall at least, he's very quick, good engine, so immediately you've got the physical requirements wanted by a lot of clubs.  He's young enough that they'll believe he can still develop/improve a fair bit as well. 

Look at it this way, Man Utd paid £50m for Wan-Bissaka, who was also 21 at the time I think, but actually had fewer career games, albeit they were at Premier League level in fairness. Would you rather spend £12-£15m or £50m on a prospect?  Matty Cash is a good comparison, ideal really, even from the same club.  His last season at Forest he got 3 goals and 5 assists from 3,600 mins of football.  Spence has 2 goals and 5 assists from 3,400 mins.  Matty Cash went for £14m and I think was a year older than Spence.  You take the shot now in the hope that he develops further, and you've saved yourself however much.  If you're a big club you can afford to take those risks I guess.

Edited by Changing Times
2 hours ago, CrazyL said:

Signing McGree points to the potential sale of Tavernier as he is a like for like replacement. In fact when Bola was left out it was Tav who dropped into LWB while McGree was favoured in the midfield role. It fits the Brentford model, signing players for relatively low fees and then selling established players at a premium with the replacement already in place. 

Is he a like for like replacement?  To me they appear to be completely different types of player.  You're not the first person who has said this but other than both being left footed they seem quite far apart as players, don't you think?  For example, Tavernier makes a lot more tackles than McGree, whilst McGree seems tidier on the ball to my mind.  I would say Tavernier is more energetic/dynamic than McGree, and a bit quicker over the ground as well, but McGree might be more composed on the ball, although I need to see a bit more cos a lot of passes seem to be fairly safe choices that don't really get us anywhere.  

I reckon Tavernier was moved to wingback because Wilder thought he could manage it rather than because McGree is his replacement.  McGree has so far had, let's say, three periods in separate games I can think of where he's actually looked decent, otherwise he's done very little really, tidy passing aside.  He has 5 goals and 2 assists in his Championship career so far, which is promising I guess but not necessarily something we can bank on.  It's also worth mentioning that Tavernier makes more key passes than McGree.  I just assumed it would be because of set pieces but having had a look, it's not, it's just in general play as well.  He actually makes more than anyone in the side, which needs to be replaced if we're selling him.

I get what you're saying about bringing in players and having them ready to go when you're selling established players, and it would be nice if we were that organised 🙂  But specifically regarding McGree, I'd ask are we a better team with him in it?  I think we're still some way from being able to answer that question with a yes.  I think if we're going to sell Tavernier then we should be looking to bring in someone else in midfield to replace him.  Maybe we could part replace Tavernier by upgrading on Howson though, which I suppose is something to consider.  I really hope we don't start next season with Crooks-Howson-McGree as our midfield three though.

• Like 5

I'm thinking , Sol, Peltier , Lumley, Payero, two loanies , Hall, Ukhie , Agpom  gone.

Available for a good fee, McNair (our best player) , Fry , Tav , Jones 

The team is too inconsistent and unreliable , and needs an injection of strength , quality and character , 

Finishing seventh is the same as finishing twentieth.

2 hours ago, kentucky said:

Finishing seventh is the same as finishing twentieth.

I know what you're trying to say but it really isn't. Finish 20th and you probably need more of a rebuild than if you finish 7th. 

I still can't get my head around the theory that the majority of our players aren't good enough, I'd like to see Wilder spend time developing the likes of Jones and see how he performs with a second season under his belt. 

I think people are writing these players off far too quickly, we obviously need additions but I wouldn't do anything drastic yet.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

We all have players we love and others that we don’t rate. I’m not sure any of the current squad should be classed as unsellable 

Of course they're not and that's probably the case for 99% of the players in the world. Taking good bids for a couple of players is one thing, selling most of your team is another. 

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?