oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

even if that is the plan thats not something that would instantly work to stop you needing loans as would take a few years to develop them players unless you got super lucky like we did with jones

My point was that I don't want more of Sporar, Connolly and Balogun coming in unless they are an immediate upgrade and result in an immediate uplift in our fortunes otherwise there is no point and we may as well develop our own. A Bamford or a Ramirez is fine but if they are someone else's projects then no thanks!

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I know what you're trying to say but it really isn't. Finish 20th and you probably need more of a rebuild than if you finish 7th. 

I still can't get my head around the theory that the majority of our players aren't good enough, I'd like to see Wilder spend time developing the likes of Jones and see how he performs with a second season under his belt. 

I think people are writing these players off far too quickly, we obviously need additions but I wouldn't do anything drastic yet.

yeah difference between finishing 7th and 20th is that he would have been dropped off personally by gibson to turfmoor if he was finishing 20th

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Donnyboro said:

We all have players we love and others that we don’t rate. I’m not sure any of the current squad should be classed as unsellable 

Lumley is unsellable. I beg we terminate his contract and let him go to league 2

5 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My point was that I don't want more of Sporar, Connolly and Balogun coming in unless they are an immediate upgrade and result in an immediate uplift in our fortunes otherwise there is no point and we may as well develop our own. A Bamford or a Ramirez is fine but if they are someone else's projects then no thanks!

As much as Bamford had shown some promise, he was very much somebody else's project and their asset to sell. We fought tooth and nail to try and bring him back the season after but Chelsea and Bamford himself seemingly wanted to be in the Prem as part of his development. We just so happened to be a good point along his journey.

He also wasn't an immediate upgrade, he was third choice for striker behind Kike and Vossen that season if I remember rightly. He had to prove he was good enough to lead the line for us amongst the two other strikers we'd signed. Remember how much Vossen was hyped due to the social media campaign to get him too.

Whilst Balogun hasn't got the same experience Bamford had, that is still the kind of player you may look at because their immediate potential could have a short-term effect on your team. I don't think we brought either of the 3 of those players in to do them or their clubs a favour, we did it because we thought they might improve ours.

12 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

As much as Bamford had shown some promise, he was very much somebody else's project and their asset to sell. We fought tooth and nail to try and bring him back the season after but Chelsea and Bamford himself seemingly wanted to be in the Prem as part of his development. We just so happened to be a good point along his journey.

He also wasn't an immediate upgrade, he was third choice for striker behind Kike and Vossen that season if I remember rightly. He had to prove he was good enough to lead the line for us amongst the two other strikers we'd signed. Remember how much Vossen was hyped due to the social media campaign to get him too.

Whilst Balogun hasn't got the same experience Bamford had, that is still the kind of player you may look at because their immediate potential could have a short-term effect on your team. I don't think we brought either of the 3 of those players in to do them or their clubs a favour, we did it because we thought they might improve ours.

You say Bamford wasn't an immediate upgrade but third choice Striker at the time because we had two better Strikers in Kike and Vossen. We brought Balogun and Connolly in to replace two better Strikers in Sporar and Watmore who were then unceremoniously dumped while they were started, that's my point. I'm not saying that Sporar and Watmore were class leading in the Championship but a blind man on a galloping horse could see Balogun wasn't ready and that Connolly was what he was (and that was before he came). I have no problem if we bring in a Balogun or similar as third choice or even fourth choice Striker but not as starters. It's even worse if Wilder was contractually obliged to play them!

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

Wilders comments to the press over the weekend have got me thinking. He says there will be surprises and some players have been in the side because there’s no other options. So the likes of Hall, TO, even Payero aren’t covered in that. They’re nowhere near the team anyway. He then name checks Fry, Paddy, Jones, Tav and McGree as players he wants to stay and get more from. So that only leaves Lumley, Djiksteel, Bola, Crooks and Watmore as regular starters who he might be referring to. 
Lumley won’t be a shock, Bola hasn’t played that many games (as an aside, I think we were much better with Taylor in the side, very solid on the left with the flair down the right). So Crooks, Djiksteel and Watmore could be the surprises. 

I’ll be absolutely gutted if Dijksteel goes. 

The ones he name-checked were those he thought under-performed this season. Judging by his actions I think he regards Howson and Dijksteel as having performed well. 

He has been critical of Crooks' disciplinary record and clearly has had issues with Bola's performances. He seems to have thought Watmore wasn't good enough to start but ran out of options when Connolly and Balogun didn't make the grade. He clearly likes Watmore but doesn't think he can rely on him fitness wise or due to his erratic finishing. 

I think we all know that Lumley, Daniels, Peltier, Bamba, Hall, Taylor, Coulson, Spence, Ikpeazu, Akpom, Olosunya and Stojanovic will be off-loaded one way or another if possible. Depending on who he can shift and who is coming in, one of the keepers may stay on as second choice and one of Bamba or Peltier might get offered a 1 year deal.

There are also all our other loaned out players plus the missing in action ones: Fisher and Ameobi. 

I suspect Payero's future is finely balanced. He actually looks a good fit for Wilder's system: he's a hard-pressing, attacking midfielder with a good range of passing. But if we could get our money back on him, I think Wilder would bank it for someone with a proven track record in the Championship or high league 1 potential.

Finally, there's all the senior year U23s and the only one of those who seems to have a chance is Joe Gibson and possibly Zach Hemming though Hemming might become the new Brynn and spend a season on the bench as a 3rd choice keeper who doesn't need to be registered: assuming he's still young enough. In theory, Wood is still young enough to make it but he would probably need to go out on loan.

Almost forgot Boyd-Munce who is too old for the U23s but shows no sign of breaking into the first team.

There is an awful lot of crud in the squad and very little sign of anyone other Gibson making a breakthrough from the U23s. There is a small core group of top 6 or thereabouts championship players: Dijksteel, Fry, McNair, Howson (for 1 last year), Tav, Crooks, McGree (maybe), Jones. Watmore is an decent option off the bench and for injury cover. I suspect Bola is too prone to injuries and loss of form to make it at this level. That's just 8-9 players but you need 16-18 players of that standard to realistically challenge for promotion/play-offs. Selling any of those 8-9 just makes it even harder because, magic beans aside, you can't generally sell a player and then buy a better one in the same position for less. 

I’ve seen some people mention we might be looking overseas (Germany) because of Kieran Scott. Which I don’t mind. But I think for this rebuild, it’s not going to be a small one. I think for now, if given the funds the bulk of the rebuild should be proven championship players. Should be smart with our investment. Don’t mind the odd loan signing here and there but we will need a settled squad to succeed

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I hadn't seen the full quote - no punches pulled!

“The issue I’ve had is I can’t come out and say what I really want to say because they’re still playing and giving everything.

“I don’t think, from a motivation point of view, the players would have taken too kindly to me saying, ‘give it a good go until the end of this season, but then I’m going to let a load of you go and there’s going to be a big rebuild’. But basically, now, there is going to be a big rebuild and I am going to let a load of you go, as you’ll see in the next couple of days.”

That’s some quote. Sounds like a massive rebuild. 

First proper summer with both Wilder and Scott, admittedly January didn’t set the world alight but… it’s January 🤷‍♂️ 

I’m excited to see what happens, I’d like to see the likes of Tav, Fry, Jones stay, but if have you sell them and make good money to invest, well then so be it. After a few years of feeling somewhat apathetic towards the team it’s just nice to have a genuine interest again and the games not feel like a chore to go to.

I have (probably blindly) good faith in what the club is working towards and just here to enjoy the ride once again.

• Like 1

Who I think will be told they not part of long term plans:

CONTRACT WONT BE RENEWED / END OF LOAN

1. Peltier

2. Taylor

3. JLS

4. Flo

5. Connolly

TOLD TO FIND NEW CLUB

1. Lumley

2. Daniels

3. Spence

4. Hall

5. Coulson

6. Bola

7. Olusanya

8. Ameobi

9. Uche

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Who I think will be told they not part of long term plans:

CONTRACT WONT BE RENEWED / END OF LOAN

1. Peltier

2. Taylor

3. JLS

4. Flo

5. Connolly

TOLD TO FIND NEW CLUB

1. Lumley

2. Daniels

3. Spence

4. Hall

5. Coulson

6. Bola

7. Olusanya

8. Ameobi

9. Uche

Not really a single name on that list that will be overly missed on the pitch, can’t help but like Taylor and Pelts, but just not what we need if we are wanting a big push at promotion.

I honestly don't think Pelts was that bad and would probably keep him on another year as back up. Plus he always looked like he was enjoying himself

• Like 2

Whoever we bring in they must have the mental strength and”will to win” to play in the Championship. Too many times this season I have seen us panic and fold when games got tough, we need a couple of leaders to dig in and take back the initiative and I don’t mean just kick the opposition like Crooks tends to do

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?