oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Just now, GrimsbyBoro said:

Well Crooks > Payero/JLS.

They may not have been great players but better than what we got.

True but he also signed Olusanya, Ikpeazu, the two goalkeepers.  It could be worth pointing out that Warnock's intentions for Crooks appeared to be different to where he eventually played his best football as well.  What Warnock saw in him isn't necessarily what he eventually became for us.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

True but he also signed Olusanya, Ikpeazu, the two goalkeepers.  It could be worth pointing out that Warnock's intentions for Crooks appeared to be different to where he eventually played his best football as well.  What Warnock saw in him isn't necessarily what he eventually became for us.

He did but of those one was for the under23’s and one was meant to be 3rd of 4th choice striker.

We probably won’t ever know how much or even if he was hamstrung by the club trying to spend money elsewhere. 

The simple best solution was they should have got rid of him before the window opened. The two opposing strategies was ridiculous.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

He did but of those one was for the under23’s and one was meant to be 3rd of 4th choice striker.

We probably won’t ever know how much or even if he was hamstrung by the club trying to spend money elsewhere. 

The simple best solution was they should have got rid of him before the window opened. The two opposing strategies was ridiculous.

He was meant to be a 3rd or 4th choice striker later on though so I'm not sure how much stock I place in that.  Given the strikers we had been linked with (Smith, Ikpeazu), and given how Warnocks teams often set up, I think he was meant to play a lot more than a 4th choice striker would do.  I do agree it was nonsense though both to lumber him with players he wasn't really interested in, and for us to be buying players we'd potentially be looking to offload in a year's time.  It did me  wonder a little if those early links to wingers that we've seen were just nonsense or if we haven't quite moved away from what we were doing last summer.

7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He was meant to be a 3rd or 4th choice striker later on though so I'm not sure how much stock I place in that.  Given the strikers we had been linked with (Smith, Ikpeazu), and given how Warnocks teams often set up, I think he was meant to play a lot more than a 4th choice striker would do.  I do agree it was nonsense though both to lumber him with players he wasn't really interested in, and for us to be buying players we'd potentially be looking to offload in a year's time.  It did me  wonder a little if those early links to wingers that we've seen were just nonsense or if we haven't quite moved away from what we were doing last summer.

I think the entire thing just seems a bit of a mess at this point. Seems pretty clear to me that wilder wasn’t the manager Kieran Scott was planning to get. They just got Wilder because they saw an opportunity or they believed things were going too badly with Warnock 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Lumping managers with players they don’t want seems to be a repeated pattern at Boro.

My only though on the winger links is that is may be easier to convert a winger to wing back than an full back.

It’s probably straw clutching but this window will be interesting

22 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Lumping managers with players they don’t want seems to be a repeated pattern at Boro.

My only though on the winger links is that is may be easier to convert a winger to wing back than an full back.

It’s probably straw clutching but this window will be interesting

Yeah, I had considered that as well to be fair, and maybe if there is any truth to those links then that's what it's about.

I think it could potentially make sense for a short term loan deal given that the Argentinian league is still going on and he was just coming back to fitness. Rather than have 6 or so weeks off having not being able to play for months prior. There's also the world cup mid season so he would be able to get his break there prior to the season resuming after the world cup.

6 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I cant help but thinking that the people who still talk about Warnock and still want him as a manager, all have grandfather issues!

Their grandfathers also wore a bum bag, that type of thing?

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Not having a go but how do you actually know?  I think I saw all of his first team action for us, I didn't see anything that massively stood out.  He had a couple of decent moments, a nice enough finish for a goal, some bits and pieces of nice play here and there, but I don't think we saw anything that should lead to us being devastated if he left.  I think it would be a shame if he wasn't give a proper chance to establish himself here, and I don't think he had that this year.  Not sure I'd be devastated about him leaving however.

I disagree, I think he added a little bit of energy to a ponderous midfield. He had a good eye for a forward pass which our side ways midfield liked. He looked like he could think of attacking first, rather than safety first. In a team coached by defensive managers I think he stood out more because he was more of what we need, rather than the same bland of before. 

I would be devastated to lose him after one season, as like I said, that game against Cardiff showed that he can compete at this level in the championship. 

A consistent run in the team and he would adapt no end. Then you’ve got a bit of flair to your midfield to build on. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I disagree, I think he added a little bit of energy to a ponderous midfield. He had a good eye for a forward pass which our side ways midfield liked. He looked like he could think of attacking first, rather than safety first. In a team coached by defensive managers I think he stood out more because he was more of what we need, rather than the same bland of before. 

I would be devastated to lose him after one season, as like I said, that game against Cardiff showed that he can compete at this level in the championship. 

A consistent run in the team and he would adapt no end. Then you’ve got a bit of flair to your midfield to build on. 

You could well be right mate, I'm certainly not writing the lad off.  More that the hype seems to outweigh what we've seen so far. But of course there was hype as soon as we signed him, and he's played so little that there's no reason for the hype not to still be there I suppose.

3 hours ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Tav to Leeds, Payaro going, Wilder to Burnley shall I start one? Leo the new kit man

Surely Tav will be off to a prem team 😀

That’s the trouble with football nowadays. If you are not an immediate success then you are rubbish. Even Juninho was not brilliant his first season and he was fit. Payero has had injuries and has tried to settle in to a new Country while the pandemic has been going on. Hopefully he will be given a chance with us next year.

• Like 6
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?