oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

5 minutes ago, Will said:

I do look forward to not having to say it anymore.

It’s interesting that other than one journalist on Twitter it’s not anywhere else. 

Everything else points to next season.

I suspect he signed until next season and we have an option for a year on his deal. 

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Just now, GrimsbyBoro said:

It’s interesting that other than one journalist on Twitter it’s not anywhere else. 

Everything else points to next season.

I suspect he signed until next season and we have an option for a year on his deal. 

Craig Johns originally reported 2023 like everyone else and was then corrected by someone at the club, so I think we have taken up that option already.

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Craig Johns originally reported 2023 like everyone else and was then corrected by someone at the club, so I think we have taken up that option already.

Most likely but it’s unusual the club haven’t been public with it and probably why the question keeps coming up.

Just now, GrimsbyBoro said:

Most likely but it’s unusual the club haven’t been public with it and probably why the question keeps coming up.

They don’t need to be public about it to please the oneBoro community. The clubs mouthpiece has said it and they don’t say much without clearing it with the club first. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

I don't think a £10 million bid for Tav is far off his value to be honest, we already have his replacement at the club in McGree, now if we sell Tav to fund a £6 million move for a GK like Iversen that would be disappointing but if we reinvest the money across the team then anything north of £10 million could be a good bit of business. 

Mcgree is nowhere near as good as tavernier as a box to box midfielder that would be the downgrade that has been spoken about. Defensively in all aspects nowhere near. Work rate nowhere near. Pace and stamina nowhere near. They are massive assets to lose in our side with the way we play unless we stop the overlapping cbs. 

Mcgree is a decent midfielder on the ball and going forward don't get me wrong but he can't replace tav as things stand no chance imo. 

Tav is worth as much as we value him to be and I don't think we sell our best player to Bournemouth for 10mil and weaken ourselves. They would have to make it 15mil with clauses I reckon for us to listen.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

They don’t need to be public about it to please the oneBoro community. The clubs mouthpiece has said it and they don’t say much without clearing it with the club first. 

They don’t have to but the normative behaviour is that they do. The clubs mouthpiece has also not put in the propoganda machine but on a personal Twitter post.

1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

I don't think a £10 million bid for Tav is far off his value to be honest, we already have his replacement at the club in McGree, now if we sell Tav to fund a £6 million move for a GK like Iversen that would be disappointing but if we reinvest the money across the team then anything north of £10 million could be a good bit of business. 

I've seen little from McGree during his time here so far to suggest anything about him being a ready-made replacement for Tav. Besides the fact he's left-footed.

Don't get me wrong, mind, I really like the look of him but he looks a different kind of player to me so far. Think Tav is much higher energy, more of a grafter. Both players will try riskier passes at times but I'd put my money on Tav to give a much better go at winning the ball back.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

The main factors are that Spence was in a promoted side, is young, English, and was deemed the best player in his position in the Championship this season.

I don't think fans are overblowing the impact of the FA Cup coverage either, it's a major factor in the increase in his profile.

Tavernier has been our best midfielder this season, but he's been nowhere near the best midfielder in the division.

He definitely is one of the best in the division. Statistically and to the eye on the pitch he definitely stands out as one of the best central midfielders. Who do you think was better last season?

4 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I've seen little from McGree during his time here so far to suggest anything about him being a ready-made replacement for Tav. Besides the fact he's left-footed.

Don't get me wrong, mind, I really like the look of him but he looks a different kind of player to me so far. Think Tav is much higher energy, more of a grafter. Both players will try riskier passes at times but I'd put my money on Tav to give a much better go at winning the ball back.

Sums up my thoughts. Not trying to be down on McGree, I think he showed enough that he'll be a decent signing as a minimum, but he can't be a like for like replacement for Tav.

That's not a criticism, I've said before on here that I think Tav is quite unique as a footballer at least at this level. It's extremely rare that someone who works as hard and defends as well as he does is also top tier creator going the other way, that's part of the reason I'd place such a high price on his head.

• Like 1
Just now, RiversideRed said:

Alan Nixon will have a bit in the paper/patreon for Boro tomorrow.

What are we guessing will be his ground breaking news story?

We selling spence sign up to the patreon 😂

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

One of the strikers signing?

3 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

'Spurs have cooled their interest in Djed Spence to pursue other targets'

Meanwhile spurs Secretary calls the medical department to book in his medical

20 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I agree that they are different players, I've personally seen enough moments in home games from McGree that makes me think he could add things when we have the ball in attack that Tav doesn't bring but Tav's graft and energy would be a big miss whether a Wilder off-season and staying injury free for a long period could upgrade Mcgree's engine we'll have to wait and see. 

I think the few times Tav switched to LWB he looked exceptional, West Brom at home comes to mind, but I don't think Tav's figured out how to best influence games around the opposition box from that left centre mid spot, McGree always looks more dangerous with his movement and link up play around the box in my opinion. 

As others have said he may have been hampered offensively by having Neil Taylor on his side but if Tav could find the net more then I think you'd be talking about a £20-30 million midfielder, as it is we all think he can add more goals to make him a complete midfielder but he hasn't had the type of season Saville had at Millwall a few years ago where everything he poked at went in the goal. 

9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I think the few times Tav switched to LWB he looked exceptional, West Brom at home comes to mind, but I don't think Tav's figured out how to best influence games around the opposition box from that left centre mid spot, McGree always looks more dangerous with his movement and link up play around the box in my opinion. 

There were a couple of occasions, when chasing games, that Tav looked good at LWB. I mean, he's a good player, he's not gonna stop influencing games from a dodgy position, he played all across the midfield last season and he still give a good go of it one way or another.

But in my opinion, we lost significantly more than we gained when we moved him out there and when we did that towards the end of the season with him starting at LWB, we started games setting the tone that this was the best we could do and we couldn't alter the games the way we did against West Brom for example.

I know that may sound a bit daft but part of Wilder's gameplan seems to form around putting a solid, balanced base onto the pitch to start with and tinker by adding extra firepower later in the game if things aren't going to plan, not starting all-guns blazing. Tav starting at LWB meant there was nothing else we could really do to affect the game on that side of the pitch and we just lost something in the middle.

I also think it gave him too much responsibility of that side of the pitch and arguably some of his better moments as either wing-back this season were when he was coming infield and affecting the game in the middle of the pitch still. That's where he wanted to be and that's where he was at his best.

I think our poor performing LWBs did ultimately make him less effective, our best partnership of the season was on the opposite side and it was about a functioning pair of quality players who are very in sync and both have their own strong individual qualities. Taylor and Bola both had their moments but they were never as consistent as Jones was earlier in the season.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?