oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

When Kieran Scott was appointed as Head of Recruitment it was stated by the club that “he brings a wealth of experience and knowledge”.  I presumed, perhaps wrongly, that he would bring with him his little black book of contacts and hidden gems just waiting to be unearthed and polished. Perhaps it is me, but I don’t see much evidence of this change of recruitment policy as yet, the ones we have brought in so far are on frees and loans, and the ones we are allegedly looking at are further big money loans from other clubs. If Coventry can unearth Gykores, for whom we would be willing to pay big for, why can’t we do the same? Very happy with the players we have got so far but slightly worried that there is no sign yet of this much vaunted change of policy that we all hoped was coming

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

Parrott has always been a far more clinical finisher than Connolly @Dynamo Kev. The last few Ireland games Parrott looked like he has really matured in his play. I think he will come good this coming season especially in a team that plays two up top as he likes to drop in and get involved in the build up play. I’ve watched him since he was around 13 and have always been impressed with his general play

seen him once for spurs a few years back. didnt get involved. bit like balogun, to raw at the time. that was a few years ago and hes done okay on his loans. probably be able to compete and not look out of place in the team. hopefully if he did come hes be able to make it a successful time here.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pikerman said:

When Kieran Scott was appointed as Head of Recruitment it was stated by the club that “he brings a wealth of experience and knowledge”.  I presumed, perhaps wrongly, that he would bring with him his little black book of contacts and hidden gems just waiting to be unearthed and polished. Perhaps it is me, but I don’t see much evidence of this change of recruitment policy as yet, the ones we have brought in so far are on frees and loans, and the ones we are allegedly looking at are further big money loans from other clubs. If Coventry can unearth Gykores, for whom we would be willing to pay big for, why can’t we do the same? Very happy with the players we have got so far but slightly worried that there is no sign yet of this much vaunted change of policy that we all hoped was coming

I imagine it is Wilder demanding immediate quality & promotion.

Let's be clear, he hasn't come here to slowly build a team over a number of years. He wants to go up; he says it all the time. He sees himself as a Premier League manager, and a part of me thinks he feels a bit hard done-by to have had to drop back down to this level.

I don't think he wants any unknowns or "projects".

• Like 2

It’s not going to be the popular thing, but I’m thinking that Akpom is going to be our stop gap striker till we get a resolution on any premier loan/buys towards the end of the window.

so many deals and moves will have been agreed, but all or most dependent upon others in the chain acting first. With less than a week till our opening match, any striker signed this week would have to be match fit and have the ability to gel with the rest of the squad with only 2-3 training sessions. Akpom will want to show everyone what he can do, shop window displays or proving that he has both the skillswanted and a desire to play and win at Boro. 

• Like 3
Just now, Smokedsalmon said:

Let's be clear, he hasn't come here to slowly build a team over a number of years. He wants to go up; he says it all the time. He sees himself as a Premier League manager, and a part of me thinks he feels a bit hard done-by to have had to drop back down to this level.

My read on Wilder is that he is NOT a manager who develops young players or projects. He has no obvious interest in it and shows no signs of doing it. He seems really good at getting players who are already good enough to play above themselves. If a young player is already capable of playing at the current level then Wilder simply plays him: Jones being the classic example. 

Players like Coburn or Balogun who could possibly develop quite quickly with the right coaching are his weak spot. He'll play them if he has to but will drop them the minute he can get someone better in their position. I think he decided quite quickly that Balogun would be out of the team the minute Watmore and Sporar returned to fitness. Connolly at first he thought was simply lacking match practice. After 2 months it was clear that match practice wasn't the issue; he simply wasn't good enough and he was dropped once Watmore and Sporar could play more than 60 minutes.

Wilder is ruthless and focused. He has zero interest in any player who can't play a role right now. He'll leave a few young players hanging around just in case he has to deal with a massive injury crisis but that's it. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Who's to say Forss couldn't be that for us? Gyokeres was hardly unknown, he played for a Premier League club and had already had a loan to the Championship. Last season was his first good goalscoring year.

I guarantee if we signed Gyokeres last summer people would have moaned... 'Premier League benhwarmer' 'unproven' 'couldn't score at this level for Swansea' 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I’m not knocking projects, but I think most championship clubs are looking for young players to hit the first team running, projects are good but if your buying a player as a project and they are young then it’s the U21/23 squads they will be a project for not the 1st team.

19 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

26 minutes ago, pikerman said:

He’s more here to steer the club in the right direction, ensuring the clubs pathway to first team is clear, when you sign bilongo let’s say, you make sure you don’t block his pathway in, by signing a young back up lcb for example. Also signing Mcgree in January, leaving us in better position now to sell tavernier.  If wilder was to leave tomo you sign a coach  that uses 5 at the back to ensure you don’t have to go buy a new squad for the manager 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bruce said:

My read on Wilder is that he is NOT a manager who develops young players or projects. He has no obvious interest in it and shows no signs of doing it. He seems really good at getting players who are already good enough to play above themselves. If a young player is already capable of playing at the current level then Wilder simply plays him: Jones being the classic example. 

Players like Coburn or Balogun who could possibly develop quite quickly with the right coaching are his weak spot. He'll play them if he has to but will drop them the minute he can get someone better in their position. I think he decided quite quickly that Balogun would be out of the team the minute Watmore and Sporar returned to fitness. Connolly at first he thought was simply lacking match practice. After 2 months it was clear that match practice wasn't the issue; he simply wasn't good enough and he was dropped once Watmore and Sporar could play more than 60 minutes.

Wilder is ruthless and focused. He has zero interest in any player who can't play a role right now. He'll leave a few young players hanging around just in case he has to deal with a massive injury crisis but that's it. 

I think Wilder is a coach/manager who is focussed on the first team and is a realist who understands a project might come good but depending on circumstances he might be gone, therefore projects are for the development teams and their coaches to do. Taking a gamble on a loan player for the first team is the only project he would be interested in and that would be a very short term one.

I think generally Gibson himself likes to go for the proven players. Let’s not forget at this level we are in a position where we don’t HAVE to take the risk on unearthing the next Gyokeres, generally we can just go out and buy the finished article.

While signing the next Gyokeres wouldn’t be much of a financial risk, it would be a footballing risk. Like we would be putting our hopes of promotion on some random danish striker (for example).

If we did that any he ended up like Sporar and we finished 9th bc we struggled to score goals what would people be saying? ‘Oh we cheaped out again’, ‘oh surely we could have got someone proven?’ ‘Time forngibsonntonsell up?’ Etc etc etc.

Gibson and wilder obviously want promotion and therefore Gibson is clearly more favourable of taking the financial risk over the footballing risk. Yea yea proven players can flop but every signing is a risk at the end of the day.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Why can’t WBA, Fulham, Forest, Bournemouth or almost any team? Because it’s near on impossible to find a cheap, unknown striker and turn them into a top championship goal scorer. It takes a lot of luck and patience from fans and expectations. If it was that easy everyone could do it. Would you be happy signing some unknown youngster from a smaller Prem club to lead our line next season hoping he could be the next Piroe or Gyokeres? As a club we expect a bit more succes than Coventry and Swansea. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

Saw someone earlier say it’s all but complete but wondering if that’s a guess

On here? I must have missed that post.

2 hours ago, NorwichBoro said:

Hopefully we’ve had a conversation at club saying we aren’t gonna spend loads on strikers this summer cos last thing I want is to be lumbered with a load of average strikers for next few years on permanents. Gykores will have 1 year left next summer, 18 months left in Jan, semenyo will be out of contract next summer. A parrot muniz (loans) and Forss on permanent gives us enough depth up top for this season and gives us a great chance of going for play offs without breaking the bank even if we sell tavernier and replace him accordingly, Tav and Spence money could fund us to go for promotion for next few years without selling more key men.

My worry is that if we let it drag on to the free agent stage then a prem club will come in and offer more wages than us, and we miss out. 

We have to make sure that our recruitment is right. If they’re the right person and money is there, I don’t see why we wouldn’t?

5 hours ago, northern boro said:

Cameron Park was released by Whitby Town in 2016 he had a trial in 2018 with Whitby Town again, and hasn't played since

I played youth youth football with Cam Park, his attitude was always shocking at that level, not quite sure how he made it to the level he did. 

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?