oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Just now, Joebis said:

Surely Graeme Bailey has got the wrong forward on there? No mention of Uche? Clearly Uche and Akpom are not wanted by Wilder.

He's a Boro fan, he'll know the difference.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Joebis said:

Surely Graeme Bailey has got the wrong forward on there? No mention of Uche? Clearly Uche and Akpom are not wanted by Wilder.

Can understand the error ,  Dunc and Uche are so similar in looks 🙂

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think you're right, but I also think it's understandable to a degree. The shadow of big money buys who have been unsuccessful is a long one, so we still find ourselves talking about Assombalonga and Gestede now. People are hoping we can be that club who get the best out of low(er) cost players and can then either sell them for a profit, or get their best years out of them.

Obviously, I know there is a middle ground between spending £15m on Britt and bringing in someone who has barely 20 starts to their name, but I think the way valuations are at the moment is muddying those waters. In previous years, someone like Gyokeres might have been £4m after one decent season. Now he's double that, because of the premium attached to strikers and players with Championship pedigree.

Yeah of course fees are a factor, and in the case of Gyokeres that might be reason we aren't in for him.  I'm not arsed either way about him personally, I wouldn't pay what they seem to want anyway.  It just fascinates me how people decide the signings they believe are good/bad.  We've had it quite a lot on here over the years, I mean I can remember having similar discussions about someone like Fischer for example, who I was told was a no risk signing cos he was cheap basically, but the problem was that he wasn't good enough.  Ikpeazu last summer was always going to be a bad signing because his record showed the player he was, which was someone who would get 7/8 goals at whatever level he played at.  Of course players can have better seasons out of nowhere, look at Weimann last season as a good example.

When I look at these two lads, I think Forss might be a decent Championship striker for us, it could go either way tbh but I'm more hopeful about him than I was about us signing Akpom.  However, I also see a player who Brentford have decided to get rid of, and they had him loaned out last season as well.  He was clearly viewed as an ok option from the bench for them while in the Championship but no more than that.  We, I think, are hoping he is more than that for us.  The Hoppe lad I see as a player who Schalke were happy to move on, in fact I think they were looking to cash in on him virtually as soon as he had started to make a name for himself, which is a little odd to me.  Given they were relegated you'd think they'd have viewed him as a player to rebuild around but obviously not.  If big figures are waved in front of your face then fair enough but he went for less than 3 million euros apparently, and he can't have been on big money with them.  He also didn't seem to play much for their youth sides, which again seems a bit odd to me.  Mallorca bought him so they saw something in him, however he barely played at all for them, in a season where they were struggling, and they are ready to move him already.  That's two clubs who have basically shipped him out at the first opportunity, and neither club are full of great players, so that also seems odd to me.  I haven't mentioned how much we pay for them though, cos to me that's irrelevant to what I think about the situation of us signing them.  We can just as easily spend nothing on a bad player, as spending a lot on a bad player, similarly for us signing a good player as well. 

12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah of course fees are a factor, and in the case of Gyokeres that might be reason we aren't in for him.  I'm not arsed either way about him personally, I wouldn't pay what they seem to want anyway.  It just fascinates me how people decide the signings they believe are good/bad.  We've had it quite a lot on here over the years, I mean I can remember having similar discussions about someone like Fischer for example, who I was told was a no risk signing cos he was cheap basically, but the problem was that he wasn't good enough.  Ikpeazu last summer was always going to be a bad signing because his record showed the player he was, which was someone who would get 7/8 goals at whatever level he played at.  Of course players can have better seasons out of nowhere, look at Weimann last season as a good example.

When I look at these two lads, I think Forss might be a decent Championship striker for us, it could go either way tbh but I'm more hopeful about him than I was about us signing Akpom.  However, I also see a player who Brentford have decided to get rid of, and they had him loaned out last season as well.  He was clearly viewed as an ok option from the bench for them while in the Championship but no more than that.  We, I think, are hoping he is more than that for us.  The Hoppe lad I see as a player who Schalke were happy to move on, in fact I think they were looking to cash in on him virtually as soon as he had started to make a name for himself, which is a little odd to me.  Given they were relegated you'd think they'd have viewed him as a player to rebuild around but obviously not.  If big figures are waved in front of your face then fair enough but he went for less than 3 million euros apparently, and he can't have been on big money with them.  He also didn't seem to play much for their youth sides, which again seems a bit odd to me.  Mallorca bought him so they saw something in him, however he barely played at all for them, in a season where they were struggling, and they are ready to move him already.  That's two clubs who have basically shipped him out at the first opportunity, and neither club are full of great players, so that also seems odd to me.  I haven't mentioned how much we pay for them though, cos to me that's irrelevant to what I think about the situation of us signing them.  We can just as easily spend nothing on a bad player, as spending a lot on a bad player, similarly for us signing a good player as well. 

Thanks, guess that’s your opinion and explains that your not a Boro scout! 

Edited by BelgianBoro
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Don’t be silly! Uche must be a good foot taller than Dunc?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

When I look at these two lads, I think Forss might be a decent Championship striker for us, it could go either way tbh but I'm more hopeful about him than I was about us signing Akpom.  However, I also see a player who Brentford have decided to get rid of, and they had him loaned out last season as well. 
He was clearly viewed as an ok option from the bench for them while in the Championship but no more than that.  We, I think, are hoping he is more than that for us.  

Good point about Forss. Brentford clearly won’t be developing him further.  Good for us I would say at this point. 

I also think it’s a case of Brentford looking the other way for better players that will take them to a different level - not developing them as they did to get to the prem. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Obviously 🙂 but seriously it doesn’t make sense, it would imply Uche is staying, why would GB not state all three forwards.

19 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Well we’ve only signed one striker who will now be ahead of him in the pecking order you would think. It looks like we’re only after another two strikers and even if they are ahead of Watmore in the pecking order he would still be fourth. Coburn 5th. 

That’s my point exactly, maybe he doesn’t want to spend all season being our 4th choice striker?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, BelgianBoro said:

Thanks, guess that’s your opinion and explains that your not a Boro scout! 

I don't think I claimed that I was.  Those same Boro scouts signed the crap from last summer as well, and the January loan signings.  

I'm sure Brentford are doing that yeah, that would make sense.  My point is more about did Brentford believe that Forss could do the same job for them as Toney, and help them to promotion, or was he never seen at that level?  That is what we are looking for, not someone who can't get further than the bench.  At least I assume we are because if it's felt that he can't do it in the Premier League, and he's nothing more than a sub at this level, then what would we be buying him for?  I do think that he can be more than that for us though.

13 minutes ago, Joebis said:

Obviously 🙂 but seriously it doesn’t make sense, it would imply Uche is staying, why would GB not state all three forwards.

Exactly..  he just isn't very good.  Wouldn't surprise me if he had forgotten all about him

9 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think I claimed that I was.  Those same Boro scouts signed the crap from last summer as well, and the January loan signings.  

I wasn’t claiming you had, just that your opinion is different from the professionals that the Boro pays to do this kind of thing. Rightly or wrongly that’s how they earn their living. 
We all have our own views on these things and it’s interesting to see how other peoples minds work - I’m going to reserve judgement until I’ve seen the lads play for us, maybe Wilder can bring out the best in them, I certainly hope so.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?