oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

I may be nuts but here we go....

On the dcm role....mcnair for me. He's a decent ball carrier, knows defensive duties and is happy to simply pass the ball to better players. 3 at the back of fry, lenihan and dijk (I know none are left centre halves really). Two wingbacks that can bomb on. Mcnwir can drop in to cover. 

He offers more solidity to allow mcgree to do his thing (BTW, I think he's a rolls Royce on the ball. Not a  Rillington carrier bit makes some lovely runs and can really pick a pass).

This leaves one midfielder role if we play 1 up top. Crooks I guess. Don't expect mich defensively in open play. But good for set pieces and happy to gake a booking to stop play (too many, I know). Is there enough creativity there to create chances and goals? I reckon so. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

I’m hoping we go back in for Larsen personally 

I'm hoping we don't  I'm hoping g they come back to us. But yes, I want him. For no more than we have offered 

3 minutes ago, Tudders80 said:

On the dcm role....mcnair for me. He's a decent ball carrier, knows defensive duties and is happy to simply pass the ball to better players. 3 at the back of fry, lenihan and dijk (I know none are left centre halves really). Two wingbacks that can bomb on. Mcnwir can drop in to cover. 

He offers more solidity to allow mcgree to do his thing (BTW, I think he's a rolls Royce on the ball. Not a  Rillington carrier bit makes some lovely runs and can really pick a pass).

This leaves one midfielder role if we play 1 up top. Crooks I guess. Don't expect mich defensively in open play. But good for set pieces and happy to gake a booking to stop play (too many, I know). Is there enough creativity there to create chances and goals? I reckon so. 

Don't disagree with McNair in DM but who are these better players he is to pass the ball to?

1 minute ago, Tudders80 said:

I think McNair would be terrible as the DM if I'm honest. He ball watches far to much, takes too many touches and doesn't have the technical ability to get away from someone pressing him. I think he could work in Crooks role where it's a little more laid back. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I think that's a fair point, I'm suddenly struggling to see how without a LCB we can get the balance right. We won't get Greaves either so I hope we have a few other names up our sleeves 

I think it was more to do with having Taylor and Bola at LWB that was killing our balance last season. Don't think it's a huge deal for McNair to carry on in LCB. We'd have better balance anyways now Giles is in.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

People are talking about him to replace Tav so surely goals and assists are important in this case? Tav is the same age and almost matched those figures within one season.

I watched videos of styles a few days ago and I liked how he plays but maybe he just lacks much end product?

Nope, we need an engine and workrate in midfield. He's not as developed as Tavernier. He's been playing with a worse team and worse players. He's recently broke into the Hungary international team. He'd be a great option for squad depth.

I'd sign him for LCM and LWB cover then bring in a starting CDM and RCM.

24 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I think that's a fair point, I'm suddenly struggling to see how without a LCB we can get the balance right. We won't get Greaves either so I hope we have a few other names up our sleeves 

We have LCB's it's just that they aren't left footed, or they are really a left back being squeezed into the role.  McNair played the season there just gone, our defensive record was the 8th best in the division.  The best record in the division was only 11 goals better than us.  I know people bang on about us being poor defensively but we really haven't been that bad at all.  We were spoiled a bit by the defensive records under Karanka I think - 2015/16 was exceptional, the best record by any Championship club in the past 15 years, and the third best this century - Preston bettered us by one goal, West Brom by two, both in the early 2000's.  Even 2014/15 was very good.  We're clearly not at that level but we're also clearly not as defensive as those teams.  The Pulis teams were a bit better than this current one but not by much.  Basically we are looking to concede between 6-10 fewer goals, any more than that would be fantastic and might well have us as the best in the division again.

But forgetting all of that for a moment, I don't believe that the back three have been our biggest problem when it comes to conceding goals.  The midfield doesn't do enough, and last season our goalkeeping wasn't great, something that has cost us again today.  Our inability to score also caused us problems because goals change games, and we don't get enough of them, meaning we rarely get comfortable in games (in terms of the score).

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

I’m hoping we go back in for Larsen personally 

After thinking about it I don’t think we’ve pulled out and Hoppe isn’t his alternative. All that’s happened is standard games clubs seem to pull, we see it time and time again from the info we get on here and I don’t see it as a reason we would stop the deal. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see it suddenly back on again in a few days. From what digger said the player was keen and annoyed at what Groningen did, just give that a bit of time to fester.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I keep seeing Callum Styles name pop up so went to have a look on Barnsley forums.

Maybe we haven't looked at him because he's just a bit poo? 

https://barnsleyfc.org.uk/threads/styles.315607/

So he’s a converted wing back, slow, arrogant, lightweight and doesn’t really do anything according to the Barnsley fans. Sounds like a miniature version of Adam Hammil.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Because it was asked earlier, Ben Gibson is not coming back.

Muniz will sign next week.

I really really really hope it’s not Muniz and Hoppe. Far too many “projects”. 

1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

Give Lenihan time. He's made two league appearances. Granted, he's not shown any of the form he had at Blackburn, but he's a better player than we've seen so far.

One positive from today. Forss. I love him already. Pro-Forss Clique impending. 

A lot on here seem to assume that he was amazing at Blackburn. Have a little look at Blackburn message boards… they never really rated him and weren’t very bothered that he was leaving. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

We have LCB's it's just that they aren't left footed, or they are really a left back being squeezed into the role.  McNair played the season there just gone, our defensive record was the 8th best in the division.  The best record in the division was only 11 goals better than us.  I know people bang on about us being poor defensively but we really haven't been that bad at all.  We were spoiled a bit by the defensive records under Karanka I think - 2015/16 was exceptional, the best record by any Championship club in the past 15 years, and the third best this century - Preston bettered us by one goal, West Brom by two, both in the early 2000's.  Even 2014/15 was very good.  We're clearly not at that level but we're also clearly not as defensive as those teams.  The Pulis teams were a bit better than this current one but not by much.  Basically we are looking to concede between 6-10 fewer goals, any more than that would be fantastic and might well have us as the best in the division again.

But forgetting all of that for a moment, I don't believe that the back three have been our biggest problem when it comes to conceding goals.  The midfield doesn't do enough, and last season our goalkeeping wasn't great, something that has cost us again today.  Our inability to score also caused us problems because goals change games, and we don't get enough of them, meaning we rarely get comfortable in games (in terms of the score).

I would still get someone in as although I didn't mind McNair there and as you say defensively we weren't bad but we need to stop with this Bola at CB experiment. We definitely need a DM too, as taking into account the end of last season we have had a few defensive collapses

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?