oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

6 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Just makes being able to bring in the right players that much more essential

It's a risk letting him spend alot of money on players to play in this system tho. Look at the state of Lenihan who he's been chasing for years lol completely wrong for a team playing high up with overlapping cbs yet Wilder thinks he's great. Mcgree looks a poor fit. Them loans last season. 

I hope whoever we sign are players we also think can play well in other systems and styles of play otherwise I can see another monk style rebuild on the cards.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

I know that strikers have been the biggest topic of discussion this summer but, for me, the midfield has always been the biggest problem.

image.png.352dfe6697a18a582da31663425af12d.png

This one image sums up why. This is about 8 seconds before Chris Willock scores. We have 3 midfielders on the pitch, by the way.

Look at that massive hole in the middle of the park. That is where Jonny Howson should be, closing down Willock and preventing the goal. So where is he?

image.png.301911727c40f77cd9438ee840e96939.png

This is when Willock picks up possession. Howson is in an advanced wide area, jogging behind him, completely out of the game. Neither McGree nor Crooks have filled in his position, either.

It is actually a complete *** disgrace that this goal happens. It is a total comedy of errors starting with Jones' awful pass. The midfielders positioning + work rate to track back is laughable.

Until we replace Howson with a defensively competent, physically gifted defensive midfielder we are going to concede goals like this time and time again (spoiler: we already do, same thing happened versus West Brom).

• Like 16
1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

I know that strikers have been the biggest topic of discussion this summer but, for me, the midfield has always been the biggest problem.

image.png.352dfe6697a18a582da31663425af12d.png

This one image sums up why. This is about 8 seconds before Chris Willock scores. We have 3 midfielders on the pitch, by the way.

Look at that massive hole in the middle of the park. That is where Jonny Howson should be, closing down Willock and preventing the goal. So where is he?

image.png.301911727c40f77cd9438ee840e96939.png

This is when Willock picks up possession. Howson is in an advanced wide area, jogging behind him, completely out of the game. Neither McGree nor Crooks have filled in his position, either.

It is actually a complete *** disgrace that this goal happens. It is a total comedy of errors starting with Jones' awful pass. The midfielders positioning + work rate to track back is laughable.

Until we replace Howson with a defensively competent, physically gifted defensive midfielder we are going to concede goals like this time and time again (spoiler: we already do, same thing happened versus West Brom).

Thats what I saw from yesterday. Hopefully Wilder is showing him those clips today. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Duvel said:

Thats what I saw from yesterday. Hopefully Wilder is showing him those clips today. 

Nah, he's a "good pro" and a Yorkshire lad so will continue to be immune to criticism, somehow. He is shocking at that #6 role.

• Like 1

As a few people have said, its our midfield thats the real issue. Its just too weak. Howson is a decent tidy player but he isn't a dominant DCM, Crook has great hair but imo isn't the quality we need. Yes he has an eye for goal but isn't good enough overall, McGree still has a lot to prove. While i don't think Tav is irreplaceable his incredible work rate was obviously covering up some of the deficiencies last season. Without him it is showning up how lightweight we are. Id love the lad Hamza from Leicester but if true he has rejected us twice then we need to move tf on and pull some rabbits out the midfield hat ASAP. Forss, Hoppe, Muniz, Akpom/ Watmore would be ok but won't make an impact if we can't get the ball to them. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I looked at our Championship results since the January window closed. Played 20, 26 points, won 7, drawn 5, lost 8. That's really poor. Would be on target for 60 points over the year which is comfortably bottom half of the table. 

For me, the honeymoon from this initial matches and the cup run is over. He really does need to start proving his mettle as a manager between now and the world cup break. .

Yeah. We won 6 out of our first 10 league games when Wilder was appointed, going up to mid January. After that we only won another 8 games until the end of the season. A big chunk of that was down to our awful defence.

4 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

We have also been playing poorly as well as not getting the required results. If by ten games in to this season we are still in the same vein of form I think we should be seriously considering his position.

While I haven't been overly impressed with Wilder since the honeymoon period ended, I'd attach a couple of big caveats to that.

Firstly, we (apparently) have some sort of plan in place. Do we really want to disrupt that less than 2 years in? Chopping and changing managers every other season hasn't served us at all well.

Secondly, is there a better manager available, who can work to the aforementioned plan?

FWIW I'm starting to think Wilder was not the right candidate for the job at this time, but any major transformation takes time. Instead of expecting Boro to be pushing for promotion every season, perhaps its time we lowered our expectations and accept a season or two of averageness.

If this season pans out more or less like the last one, then I'd start to question both the plan and the manager.

If we have a poor / average first half of the season, but finish strongly in terms of both performances and results then thats acceptable. We have visible evidence the plan is working. If we just stumble through the season and look no better in May than we do now, then I'd agree questions need to be asked.

10 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

It's a risk letting him spend alot of money on players to play in this system tho. Look at the state of Lenihan who he's been chasing for years lol completely wrong for a team playing high up with overlapping cbs yet Wilder thinks he's great. Mcgree looks a poor fit. Them loans last season. 

I hope whoever we sign are players we also think can play well in other systems and styles of play otherwise I can see another monk style rebuild on the cards.

Thats why I said at the time that bringing in Wilder was a gamble that would depend heavily on getting the right players in. A manager who's that wedded to a system and only wants to line up one way, means building a squad that can play that way.

I'd be prepared to give him this season as well - at least we can say we've given him a fair crack. But as I said in another post, if we look no better by the end of the season, then questions should be asked.

• Like 1

Honestly the bedwetters in here man 😅 don’t understand the criticism of Lenihan. It just didn’t work yesterday and I think Wilder was to blame for team selection tbh. Jones and Dijskteel first half had their worst games for us and it cost us dearly

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not really understanding the intense criticism that Lenihan is coming in for right now.

Not saying he's played great in the first two games, but he wasn't close to our worst player yesterday.

• Like 4
50 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

Yeh he really got an extra 2% when we were 3 down and he forgot how to mark his man on a corner.

He’ll make more mistakes, as they all will or they wouldn’t be playing for us.
My point is he’s been brought in to try and fill a gap we’ve not had since Leadbitter left, a starter who makes demands of his teammates. We lack that vocal leadership and personalities who ensure the team is ‘at it’ from minute 1 and as such don’t spend 25% of games chasing our ***. 
Puyol was a great defender but an outstanding leader. Having that driving force on the pitch is key in all successful teams.

13 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink Army said:

I really think before deadline day Jorgen happens it’s one of them moves we use the media to say we’ve lost interest the player ends up wanting to go and they come back and maybe ask for a few more add ons

Either that or we start making serious enquiries about that Jizz Hornykamp fella. 😁

"I think we've been good in terms of injuries. We lost Paddy [McNair] but he was out for the one-game ban anyway"

That reads to me like McNair had an injury too.

So if that's the case both Fry and McNair were coming back from injury, that's not being dropped, it's their replacements keeping their places.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Riverside94 said:

What about Kante? Didn’t someone recommend him to our scouting team already 😂

We signed him, but due to an unfortunate phonetic error and the recruitment teams failure to put it in writing,  Bausor went on and tied down Conteh

• Haha 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?