oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

53 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

This whole "marquee" signing pressure was brought onto the club by Wilder when it wasn't needed. Combine that with some large sales and now you've got an expectant fan base. 

Did Wilder actually use that word? Or did the EG use it in response to Wilder saying something along the line of fans being pleasantly surprised by the quality of striker the club were trying to bring in.

I honestly can't remember. It just feels a bit like the new 'smash the league'.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

Did Wilder actually use that word? Or did the EG use it in response to Wilder saying something along the line of fans being pleasantly surprised by the quality of striker the club were trying to bring in.

“When we’re bringing players in there will be some big-name players in there that we hope and I believe we can attract to this football club.  

“We had the well-publicised good cup run and we had the league campaign from where we were to where we got to and how close we were. It makes it a really attractive club to come and join. And it always has been with the facilities that it has got and the history it has. Hopefully we can pull some good players to this football club.

“There will be some big names that will come and people will go, ‘wow, that’s a really good signing’, and there’s going to be some other signings that you might call under the radar who we feel will make the group stronger. Liam [Roberts] is definitely one of those.

Those are the actual quotes the EG posted with the marquee signing article.

So I don't believe he used the word 'marquee' and in fairness if we sign him, Jørgen Strand Larsen is a pretty big name, 3 six letter words, bleeding heck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Simplest way to judge a club's recruitment team and it's success is have they put the manager in the best possible position to attain the club's objectives from game 1.

Or.....

The simplest way to judge a club's recruitment team and it's success is have they put the manager in the best possible position to attain the club's objectives by the end of the transfer window?

1 minute ago, Pork Slops said:

“When we’re bringing players in there will be some big-name players in there that we hope and I believe we can attract to this football club.  

“We had the well-publicised good cup run and we had the league campaign from where we were to where we got to and how close we were. It makes it a really attractive club to come and join. And it always has been with the facilities that it has got and the history it has. Hopefully we can pull some good players to this football club.

“There will be some big names that will come and people will go, ‘wow, that’s a really good signing’, and there’s going to be some other signings that you might call under the radar who we feel will make the group stronger. Liam [Roberts] is definitely one of those.

So Wilder didn't say we would be making a marquee striker signing? As those words are being attributed to him.

3 minutes ago, Pork Slops said:

So I don't believe he used the word 'marquee' and in fairness if we sign him, Jørgen Strand Larsen is a pretty big name, 3 six letter words, bleeding heck.

And here's the Gazette article to back you up.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/wilder-middlesbrough-transfers-big-name-24296619

41 minutes ago, Pork Slops said:

I think he got 90 minutes once in the championship last season and scored 2 goals, can you tell I'm optimistic about him 😂

I think with a solid run of games he will be a good addition and will get 12-14 goals.

Agree, I made a post saying exactly this which of course got ignored. If you convert minutes played into games then muniz got 5 in 5 and Forrs got 8 in 13.

I realise it’s not that simple and it won’t translate over a full season if they played every game. However it shows they can get goals from limited opportunity’s and you could argue it’s hard for a player to come on from the cold and still perform.

Their stats are decent imo and I think it shows decent thinking from the club to go for the players who have performed under the radar. Personally I think Muniz and Forrs would be a good partnership and surprise a few fans by the looks of it. I’d have no doubt they would get 10-15 goals each at least. If you watch Hoppes videos it’s noticeable a lot of his highlights are of him playing between halfway and penalty box and running into the box. Suggests to me he’s being brought in for link up play and assists rather than pure goals and would be part of the reason his goal return isn’t great.

With the addition of Hoppe I think that’s 3 strikers who all offer something different. Forrs being the pure finisher and hard worker, Muniz looks powerful and dominant and Hoppe plays deeper and looks like he has good awareness and touch of the ball.

That said I think Larsen will be ours by the end of the window aswell. I’m more concerned about the midfield than strikers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

Could it be that part of the clubs sales pitch to wilder was marquee signings and he’s put the pressure on to them to deliver?

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Right yeah I see.  My way of looking at it, certainly with strikers, is that I'd like us to sign at least one with some track record of scoring goals.  One of the reasons that I thought Ikpeazu was a waste of time last summer was because his record at every level was pretty similar - he got about 8 goals per season I think.  Unless you're happy signing a player to do that then it seemed pointless signing him to me. 

It is different with younger players of course cos you don't have the career history to go on so almost everything is about potential, and what they might do.  The problem with that I suppose is just because someone might do something, that doesn't mean that they will.  It's not the best example but we spent a lot on Fletcher on the back of him scoring 5 goals in League One, and a few goals in Under 21 football.  Mental really however you want to look at it.

In terms of Larsen, I like that he got 14 goals last season, and that was in only 26 starts.  But that was also most of their games last season cos they only play 34 I think in Holland.  That's proof to me that he can do it in a way that I haven't seen from Hoppe by way of a comparison. I also like that he tended to play 90 mins more often than not - he played 2,300 mins out of the 2,800 mins he was in the squad for.  That's pretty good going.  So, personally, I think he could end up being really good, and he'd be the player I was signing.  However, if it's true that we agreed a deal at 8/9 million, and they turned around and tried to get us up to 12 or whatever, then you would have to ask yourself if it's worth it.  On the one hand the club are clearly willing to spend a lot of money on him so they do rate him but it can't just be an open ended bid where we go up to whatever they ask for.  At some point you have to say no.

Agree with all of that to be honest, I'd like to get Larsen for similar reasons and I think he could be great but you have to be cautious with just throwing cash about because then everyone adds 10% onto their demands

31 minutes ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

So Wilder didn't say we would be making a marquee striker signing? As those words are being attributed to him.

Big name signings then, it's the same deal.  We haven't made any big name signings either.

Actually he is quoted right at the start:

Chris Wilder says Middlesbrough are working hard to strengthen their squad this summer and has hinted that the club will sign some 'big-name, marquee' players this summer

Unless the Gazette are making that up of course.

5 minutes ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

Backs what up? Where does Wilder actually use the phrase 'marquee signings'? It looks to me like that is an EG phrase now being used to hit Wilder with.

Erm, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's an EG quote, not one from CW.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?