oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

14 minutes ago, WarnocksLoveChild said:

That's always the risk, but if we get this decision wrong then we are lumbered with an expensive mistake who could derail our ability to make required additions in Jan. What happens if we have a few injuries ie to the keeper, or diksteel, mowatt etc. I think it's far riskier to our season to pur our eggs in one basket imo. 

The hope is forss, hoppe and any loan signing with the right coaching will be able to give us more than last year (when we almost still got in the play offs). We are creating the chances and we will still be in the hunt with a minimal increase in goals converted. It wasn't long ago we were willing to pay 7 or 8 mill on muniz, surely he would have been the main man if he came last year, so surely nothing has changed in their opinion and scouting?. He won't want to come here to sit on our bench, he could do that at Fulham. I'm hoping forss will have a similar output as the Preston lad with minutes played. 

But then what's the guarantee we get it right in January? It would be even more expensive then also 

Would be criminal to go into the season with our current strikers because as you said its basically just hoping they come good with coaching

I've noticed a decent amount of people have blind faith in our current strikers who've never done 'it' before but criticise Riis, Gyokeres, etc for only doing 'it' for one season so far in their careers 

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Wonder if we've ever kept tabs on Tyler Burey, impressed for Hartlepool and looks a right handful so far for Millwall

Second coming of Henry their fans are saying 😄

2 hours ago, ElDaftardo said:

My dad died last week and one of the final conversations we had about our beloved Middlesbrough was, in football especially concerning Middlesbrough Football Club was the only opinion that matters should be our own view because we the fans have always had different opinions on who we should sign to be inside our team and we have always slated a footballer before they join but once they join we 1000% always get behind each and every signing until they become a boo boy then it's a different story 🤣🤣

Sorry for your loss

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, AllBoro10 said:

If we had a 23 year old striker who had just scored 20 goals in all competitions and was showing clear signs of improving and a divisional rival wanted him and we were quoting 8 million I would be very disappointed. I think there is a bargain to be had there personally. Don’t find it steep at all.

Has there been some kind of falling out there?

Just now, Changing Times said:

Has there been some kind of falling out there?

think its just new manager dont like him, probs wants the money to get his own man, does sound bit baffling though for preston, who ya would think probs wont have another striker knocking loads in again for a while 

maybe its down to the fact the lad comes across as full on poacher and if ya not on a scoring run ya gonna have people on ya back since thats all you do 

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'm leaning towards Larsen but it's not based on anything overly concrete apart from the fact Larsen has had two strong seasons in a row against arguably better opposition at 2 years younger. The YouTube videos also make him look like a better player all round (though not much can be put into that). Finally, he was on loan at Milan and has interest from serie A sides so multiple well regarded scouting systems have seen the potential in him whereas we seem to be the only ones interested in riis, his own manager included. 

It is a lot of money, though, the difference between the 2. Didn't you mention Assombalonga earlier? Perhaps for a different reason but that's what this potentially massive deal is presenting as to me, as well. an 8-figure sum on a striker at this level is a ballsy risk for anyone. And that money then doesn't go into areas we still need to improve, the LCB and the midfield. Is he a better player? Perhaps. Is he £4m better or whatever the difference is now? Is that money better spent on a single striker or spread across improving the squad as a whole? I think the squad still needs a fair bit of work, personally.

Me personally, I cannot see us signing both Larsen and Greaves for example, as I've said earlier. I could definitely see a way we could sign Riis and Greaves, though.

It's also worth bearing in mind that one man's trash could be another man's treasure. I agree wholeheartedly that Preston want rid, for what reason you'd want rid of a 16 goal striker I'm not sure and that concerns me a bit too. But Groningen are playing hard ball, they want to keep him and are making us work hard and spend a lot to bring him in as a result of how much they want to keep him. I think if Preston want rid we can work them down from the current price.

With Groningen, the price seems to keep going up and I'm pretty glad if we aren't willing to pay it, the same went for Gyokeres earlier in the window. Capitalising on Preston's willingness to sell could actually be a really smart thing for us to do and whilst you say the Eredivisie is a better division (which it is but I think there's 3 sides who basically dictate just how big the gap is overall) the output from both statistically is fairly similar, I'm not sure that difference in the quality of division again is worth putting the extra money in for, even added to anything else. I'm guessing Larsen himself isn't as convinced about the Eredivisie being better than the Championship either, as a stepping stone or not.

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

So far this season per game... 

Akpom had 1 unsuccessful touch - riis averaged 3 a game last season.

Akpom had 1.7 disposessions - riis averaged 1.8 last season. 

Akpom had 70.3% successful passes - riis averaged 60 last season. 

Although akpom is hardly a saviour or ball retention master, he has outperformed riis in all those categories, and thats compared to riis's best season last year. Better off just keeping akpom for that role than spending 8mil. 

Will you please *** off from my racket.

12 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I'm thinking the Dutch club will hopefully phone us up and say they accept the deal they rejected last week 🙏

I hope so cos I really want Larsen but he's he's 3 years left on his contract, don't see them budging 

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It is a lot of money, though, the difference between the 2. Didn't you mention Assombalonga earlier? Perhaps for a different reason but that's what this potentially massive deal is presenting as to me, as well. an 8-figure sum on a striker at this level is a ballsy risk for anyone. And that money then doesn't go into areas we still need to improve, the LCB and the midfield. Is he a better player? Perhaps. Is he £4m better or whatever the difference is now? Is that money better spent on a single striker or spread across improving the squad as a whole? I think the squad still needs a fair bit of work, personally.

Me personally, I cannot see us signing both Larsen and Greaves for example, as I've said earlier. I could definitely see a way we could sign Riis and Greaves, though.

It's also worth bearing in mind that one man's trash could be another man's treasure. I agree wholeheartedly that Preston want rid, for what reason you'd want rid of a 16 goal striker I'm not sure and that concerns me a bit too. But Groningen are playing hard ball, they want to keep him and are making us work hard and spend a lot to bring him in as a result of how much they want to keep him. I think if Preston want rid we can work them down from the current price.

With Groningen, the price seems to keep going up and I'm pretty glad if we aren't willing to pay it, the same went for Gyokeres earlier in the window. Capitalising on Preston's willingness to sell could actually be a really smart thing for us to do and whilst you say the Eredivisie is a better division (which it is but I think there's 3 sides who basically dictate just how big the gap is overall) the output from both statistically is fairly similar, I'm not sure that difference in the quality of division again is worth putting the extra money in for, even added to anything else. I'm guessing Larsen himself isn't as convinced about the Eredivisie being better than the Championship either, as a stepping stone or not.

Well although what you say is a good post and I agree with a lot of it. We already had bids in for Greaves and Larson which would suggest the money was already there.

We don't know the Groningen price is going up and up. It went up once as far has been reported.

Why are Preston so willing to sell such a diamond who has a long contract.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?