oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Riverside94 said:

Wasn’t one of them Victor Moses in the end? 

I think he might have been the Afro-Caribbean. 😂

Regarding Connolly and Balogun, I know I've certainly been critical of both in the time they were here as for the most part they simply didn't play well enough, and well, why change the habit of the lifetime?  But my actual view on both hasn't really changed from what it was when we were linked with them in the first place, which is that we were asking a lot for them to step up into first team football at this level, and then also be productive. 

I also made the point that if either of them were our players, with the record they had in the Under 23 stuff, I'd be desperate to see them given a chance.  Our issue wasn't so much with signing them as signing them when the existing squad members were also not doing well enough in the hope that one of them would immediately find his feet and help us out.  To me, Connolly and Balogun would be your third or even fourth choice strikers - players you don't need to rely upon because you already have better/more established players - but who could push themselves into first choice if they fulfil their potential.  We were asking them to be first choice when they hadn't proven themselves at all though.

I wouldn't be too harsh on either of them really as neither of them should have been pushed into being regular players straight away.  The fault is more ours than theirs.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Regarding Connolly and Balogun, I know I've certainly been critical of both in the time they were here as for the most part they simply didn't play well enough, and well, why change the habit of the lifetime?  But my actual view on both hasn't really changed from what it was when we were linked with them in the first place, which is that we were asking a lot for them to step up into first team football at this level, and then also be productive. 

I also made the point that if either of them were our players, with the record they had in the Under 23 stuff, I'd be desperate to see them given a chance.  Our issue wasn't so much with signing them as signing them when the existing squad members were also not doing well enough in the hope that one of them would immediately find his feet and help us out.  To me, Connolly and Balogun would be your third or even fourth choice strikers - players you don't need to rely upon because you already have better/more established players - but who could push themselves into first choice if they fulfil their potential.  We were asking them to be first choice when they hadn't proven themselves at all though.

I wouldn't be too harsh on either of them really as neither of them should have been pushed into being regular players straight away.  The fault is more ours than theirs.

agreed, hugely optimistic to expect two youngsters to come in and tear it up in a side that's been historically short on goals for a few seasons now.
I may be alone in saying this, but wouldn't mind Balogun coming back and seeing what he could do now that hes had 6 months to learn what the championship is all about and i think he might peform better with a full pre-season under his belt
And...dare i say it.....wouldnt be against connelly back as 4th choice...defo alone on that view 😅😅

Edited by tmcc
  • Wow 1
34 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

There's nothing Afro-Caribbean about him ya daft bugger.  He's Nigerian!

I think he is referred to as “Nigebbean”

• Haha 1

I'd possibly consider Balogun if we weren't having to pay his daft wages. Connolly... no thanks, really didn't offer anything - he'd be 4th choice and I'd rather have a youngster in there. He'd be as effective.

We're gonna need to bring in 2 really good strikers this summer... then have Watmore and Coburn as backups.

should be easy enough....!

Footballers have a relatively short career compared to us mere mortals. As professional athletes they need to be fully focussed in terms of training, dedication to their art and lifestyle. There are of course as with everything in life some notable exceptions like George Best or Gazza but even then their fire burns out far quicker than it should do.

My beef with Connolly was that the opinions and stories from Brighton fans was that he was no Gazza or Best but he thought he was bigger and better than he was. Not unusual with many young lads generally who won't or don't want to listen but if I'm shopping for a Footballer it's something I'd steer well clear off as it's more likely to end in disappointment than exceed expectations. Arguably from a Boro perspective you could cite Souness as a troubled lad who did turn things around and perhaps now Spence could fall into that category. 

That I thought Connolly would be poor wasn't a surprise but that he was even worse than I feared did surprise even me. That Wilder/Scott or whoever couldn't see what to me was obvious before he came worries me. That Wilder kept playing him was of more concern in that he kept picking him but clearly expected a different outcome in a "doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results" madness.

The lad came and bombed as many predicted but booing him was out of order but you have to ask how that situation arose and I have to point towards the dugout.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tmcc said:

agreed, hugely optimistic to expect two youngsters to come in and tear it up in a side that's been historically short on goals for a few seasons now.
I may be alone in saying this, but wouldn't mind Balogun coming back and seeing what he could do now that hes had 6 months to learn what the championship is all about and i think he might peform better with a full pre-season under his belt
And...dare i say it.....wouldnt be against connelly back as 4th choice...defo alone on that view 😅😅

Was it the deflection or the own goal that impressed you enough to bring him back? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Leesider said:

Was it the deflection or the own goal that impressed you enough to bring him back? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

i think its been so long since iv seen a decent striker iv forgotton what they look like 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, tmcc said:

I think part of the problem with bringing either back would be the wages.  Obviously we don't know what we were paying them but I'm guessing it was more than they were worth to us.  My preference would be for Watmore to be the fourth choice striker i.e. we bring in three better ones than him but I know that's probably not realistic.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Sporar statistically the 2nd worst striker in the league, behind Hugill. Lol

What is the graph actually showing?  Does that mean Sporar should have scored 4 more goals based on whatever they are looking at? 

7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What is the graph actually showing?  Does that mean Sporar should have scored 4 more goals based on whatever they are looking at? 

I think so. Although not 100% sure. Basically he’s having lots of shots and missing them all 😂

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?