oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

20 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Do we need a plan B though? I can't think of any successful teams in world football that have a plan B that completely changes the way they play during a match. Teams put on more attacking players when they're losing or like for like replacements to keep energy levels high when they're not.

You don't necessarily need to change formation - though that can help. Sometimes its just about having players that offer something different in the same role, so you can change your style of play, e.g. switching from short passing to direct, or going wide instead of playing through the middle etc.

In our case specifically, its also about trying to play to the strengths of the players available, instead of being rigidly wedded to his preferred set-up. Also doesn't hurt to have a little flexibility if players get injured / aren't performing and your subs bench lends itself to a change of shape.

Even if Chris does get all the players he wants in order to play Wilder-ball properly, we'll have to be pretty damn good to be able to keep using those tactics when teams set up to counter them.

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Riverside94 said:

Is Nakhi Wells out of contract this summer? If so wouldn’t be surprised to see him in a boro shirt next season. Wasn’t there talk of us after him in Jan

We've got to be setting our bar higher than that

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Liverpool do, they'll switch to 4-2-4 sometimes for example.  I'd say that the better you are the less flexible you probably need to be however.  If you've got the best players in the world then you're going to win more often than not either way.  To me it's when you're striving to find extra from players that being adaptable becomes useful.  Alternatively you can just keep trying to do the same things, failing, and then blame the same players who played well in the exact same system a handful of games ago, questioning their attitude and professionalism.  I know what I think is more likely to work, and it's another reason why I have a fairly low opinion on most managers and coaches quite honestly.

I suppose Wilder's done something very similar in games, taking off Midfielders for Strikers and moving us into more of a 3-4-3. Trying to get players who are more adept in the oppositions box onto the pitch "trying" being the optimal word when it comes to our strikers. 🤠

4 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Is Nakhi Wells out of contract this summer? If so wouldn’t be surprised to see him in a boro shirt next season. Wasn’t there talk of us after him in Jan

If you're angling for a job at the club in our recruitment department then you're doing a great job of it with all of these suggestions 🙂

Just now, Changing Times said:

If you're angling for a job at the club in our recruitment department then you're doing a great job of it with all of these suggestions 🙂

If you throw enough crap eventually some of it will stick!

• Haha 1
Just now, Foogle said:

I suppose Wilder's done something very similar in games, taking off Midfielders for Strikers and moving us into more of a 3-4-3. Trying to get players who are more adept in the oppositions box onto the pitch "trying" being the optimal word when it comes to our strikers. 🤠

I don't think he has.  It's not exactly a great comparison to make like as Liverpool are Liverpool and we definitely aren't, but theirs seems like a deliberate plan.  I've never seen that with us, it's just desperation to me.  I wouldn't say we significantly change how we play at all, we just put more strikers on the pitch and hope that one of them gets on the end of something.  I could be being overly harsh on Wilder with that like to be fair. 

Just now, "KM" said:

Surprised we didn’t see Ameobi’s and Fisher’s name on that list. Are they still under contract? 

Another year for each, iirc.

1 minute ago, "KM" said:

Surprised we didn’t see Ameobi’s and Fisher’s name on that list. Are they still under contract? 

Think Ameobi was  2 year deal wasn't it? Fisher has another year left too I think. 

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?