oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Probably before your time, but always thought Charlie George was going to be world class but after his first few years seemed to just phone it in a lot of the time

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Franny Jeffers maybe?  He was seen as a bit of a boy wonder at Everton then got his big move to Arsenal and just did nowt, I don't even know where he ended up after them.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Regarding Dele Alli, can anyone think of another player who has declined so much at a relatively young age? You see players decline cos of age, and sometimes injuries do for them, but he’s 26 and as far as I’m aware he hasn’t been knackered with injury.  He’s basically gone from being a very good player who potentially could have played for anyone to a shadow of himself. I was trying to think of other examples but I’m struggling.

Won't say I'd heard of him, because I wasn't born, but Robin Friday.

Saw a bunch of Reading fans discussing him on Twitter recently, saying he was one of their best ever players, and he only play 4 years of league football before going off the rails because of his attitude.

Obviously it's hard to judge how good he was because it was lower division, but that was the first player that popped in to my head.

Just now, Hendrie_7 said:

Franny Jeffers maybe?  He was seen as a bit of a boy wonder at Everton then got his big move to Arsenal and just did nowt, I don't even know where he ended up after them.

I don’t know whether he’d got to the level Alli had though.  I don’t even remember him being that good really, just did a bit as a youngster and then got a big move.  Did arsenal sign Richard Wright about the same time and his career nosedived as well?

4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Won't say I'd heard of him, because I wasn't born, but Robin Friday.

Saw a bunch of Reading fans discussing him on Twitter recently, saying he was one of their best ever players, and he only play 4 years of league football before going off the rails because of his attitude.

Obviously it's hard to judge how good he was because it was lower division, but that was the first player that popped in to my head.

I read a book about him years back.  Interesting character 🙂

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Perhaps Stephen Bell..  amazing player but got no help from club when his partner's health deteriorated and was more or less done by the age of twenty 

I thought he was a victim of the booze?

in the end , yes but he was all about confidence and when he needed an arm around his shoulder, it wasn't there . his mates were a dodgy bunch and took a lend of his inability to see through them. Wouldn't have put it past them to pull things on him "for a laugh", Always saddened me that he had Allison for a manager..  Rioch might have saved him. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, samboro said:

What about Joe Hart. Was top keeper and Englands number one and then found himself 3rd choice at Burnley.

Yeah I suppose his career did seem to fall away quite quickly.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Regarding Dele Alli, can anyone think of another player who has declined so much at a relatively young age? You see players decline cos of age, and sometimes injuries do for them, but he’s 26 and as far as I’m aware he hasn’t been knackered with injury.  He’s basically gone from being a very good player who potentially could have played for anyone to a shadow of himself. I was trying to think of other examples but I’m struggling.

He's definitely dropped off massively and a lot of that's on him, but he's not entirely to blame. He played an insane amount of football from a young age so his peak probably isn't the same age range as the average footballer.

A good graphic from louorns on twitter, makes Sterling's career look even more impressive:

image.thumb.png.2edbe336d69b7bb65d627dbf83d04282.png

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

His last good season was in 17/18, he had had 2 good seasons before that. He's had 4 rubbish ones since that. Class isn't always permanent, not when you've had more bad seasons than good in your career, and none of the good ones have been in the last 4 years. 

last good season was 17/18? he got 5 goals and 3 assists in 25 games in 18/19 and  he got 8 goal  with 4 assists in 25 games in 19/20.  8 in 25 is pretty decent by any midfield standard.

So realistically he's had two bad seasons, i just don't see how that forces him into the championship so soon.Especially when he only went on loan 6 months with a transfer fee added of 40 million.  No championship side could afford him even he was willing to move down.

Also, he's only 26 and had 37 caps for England. Those facts coupled with his early career ability will probs lead to plenty of clubs well above championship level to be willing to take a punt on him.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I think David Bentley runs him close.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Weasel said:

He's definitely dropped off massively and a lot of that's on him, but he's not entirely to blame. He played an insane amount of football from a young age so his peak probably isn't the same age range as the average footballer.

A good graphic from louorns on twitter, makes Sterling's career look even more impressive:

image.thumb.png.2edbe336d69b7bb65d627dbf83d04282.png

I suppose but if his decline started say 2 years ago then you’re talking about him being finished at 24.  None of the others on that list have that issue? Interesting though.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?