oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Weird stats with Kilkenny. Twice in the season he's just disappeared out of the squad and it doesn't look like he was injured. Played quite a few games from the start in the first half of the season and was then out of the squad from february and then played 90 mins in the last game.

Didn't Bournemouth receive a massive influx of loan and permanent signings in January? I remember wondering at the time how they could fit them all into a matchday squad let alone a starting 11. I assume it means that they view Kilkenny as a raw project as he only got a start in the last fixture after promotion was guaranteed.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Just now, Foogle said:

Didn't Bournemouth receive a massive influx of loan and permanent signings in January? I remember wondering at the time how they could fit them all into a matchday squad let alone a starting 11. I assume it means that they view Kilkenny as a raw project as he only got a start in the last fixture after promotion was guaranteed.

Yeah you could be right about that.

If we are aiming for promotion, and Bournemouth feel he wasn't up to that for them, then why would he be up to it for us?  If it's a case of we think Bournemouth don't realise what they have there, and they are underrating him then fair enough I suppose.  But we don't need raw projects, we need people who are going to come in and be better than what we currently have.  We're trying to improve on a 7th place finish, not to make our way up from 17th.  I completely understand the need for squad depth but we seem to keep doing it from the bottom up rather than from the top down i.e. you replace current starters with better, and those players become your depth.  We buy less than we already have, and it ultimately that doesn't work.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If we are aiming for promotion, and Bournemouth feel he wasn't up to that for them, then why would he be up to it for us?  If it's a case of we think Bournemouth don't realise what they have there, and they are underrating him then fair enough I suppose.  But we don't need raw projects, we need people who are going to come in and be better than what we currently have.  We're trying to improve on a 7th place finish, not to make our way up from 17th.  I completely understand the need for squad depth but we seem to keep doing it from the bottom up rather than from the top down i.e. you replace current starters with better, and those players become your depth.  We buy less than we already have, and it ultimately that doesn't work.

Completely agree with all of the above. We need to get 5-6 priority signings in first. The squad can then be built around the nucleus of the first team probables 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

100%. We don't need other teams' projects, unless they're kids for the U23. 

IMO there are a handful of players in our squad it would be hard to improve on without spending significant money (Tav and Jones... maybe couple of others on a good day). Serious competition for anyone else in our squad can be found in the free agent market or abroad without breaking the bank. 

3 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Thats like judging a fish on it's abillity to climb trees ...

Moves quicker than some of our players. definitely worth scouting 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
44 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

IMO there are a handful of players in our squad it would be hard to improve on without spending significant money (Tav and Jones... maybe couple of others on a good day). Serious competition for anyone else in our squad can be found in the free agent market or abroad without breaking the bank. 

That’s exactly what we’ve talked about doing tho. Picking up projects, improving them and selling them on at a profit 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I remember us picking up some lad that got let go by Fulham, took a while to find his feet but we sent him out on loan, he had a really good season and we sold him for almost £15m

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too many comments to reply to individually regarding Tav 🥲 It’s an interesting difference of opinions of how some people view and see players differently isn’t it?

I hope he proves me wrong for this next season FWIW and he helps us get promotion to the promised land 👆🏼

Again, I’m not saying he’s bad, just he is capable of more in my opinion and I’d like to see him do that more often 😝

49 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

That’s exactly what we’ve talked about doing tho. Picking up projects, improving them and selling them on at a profit 

Never said we can't or shouldn't do that too. But our first team wasn't good enough for the top 6, so it needs improving with players that can come in and immediately fight for a first team spot. 

2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I agree with what you’ve said there. It often seems we aren’t buying players to improve our first 11. Rather just players for depth/competition. I want players that are signing to 100% improve our starting 11. This sounds obvious but a lot of our recent signings seem to just be ‘he’s a good player to have in our squad over the season’…’he will do a job when we get a few injuries’.

To answer your first question, just because it hasn’t worked out (?) for him a Bmouth, doesn’t mean he could be a good signing for us. I haven’t actually seen him play so I have no idea how good he is, but it could be a case like Spence. One club doesn’t rate him, gets rid, and then said player flourishes at the new club. 

40 minutes ago, notjade said:

I remember us picking up some lad that got let go by Fulham, took a while to find his feet but we sent him out on loan, he had a really good season and we sold him for almost £15m

As a kid for the U23s - like I said. And that's been a great success. But he didn't come in and improve the first team did he?

We need a balance this summer. Four to five signings need to make the first team better if we're being serious about a promotion challenge. 

14 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I agree with what you’ve said there. It often seems we aren’t buying players to improve our first 11. Rather just players for depth/competition. I want players that are signing to 100% improve our starting 11. This sounds obvious but a lot of our recent signings seem to just be ‘he’s a good player to have in our squad over the season’…’he will do a job when we get a few injuries’.

To answer your first question, just because it hasn’t worked out (?) for him a Bmouth, doesn’t mean he could be a good signing for us. I haven’t actually seen him play so I have no idea how good he is, but it could be a case like Spence. One club doesn’t rate him, gets rid, and then said player flourishes at the new club. 

This is it. Look at last summer, only crooks you can say came in and definitely improved our starting 11. Everyone else was a bit part player or no better than what we had last season. 

We need at least 4 players who are definitely better than what we had this season - gk, 2 strikers and a lwb. At that point you can be looking at squad players and or other areas that we could improve in (namely midfield and lcb). But the majority of our budget has to go on those 4 imo. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Absolutely spot on with this @Changing Times

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?