oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

37 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Why are we being linked with every Newcastle player going?! We'll be asking if Steve Howey is left footed next 

According to Transfermarkt he is right footed so we can breathe a sigh of relief.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Why are we being linked with every Newcastle player going?! We'll be asking if Steve Howey is left footed next 

Which Geordie we getting now ?

45 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Lazy journalism, just like 95% of all transfer speculation.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:23 PM, Changing Times said:

I don't think they do have an embarrassment of riches, which I suppose is another point I'm making.  Bournemouth weren't that good this season, they rarely impressed me when I saw them, and didn't impress me much at all against us.

Mitrovic has had a fantastic season at this level, but he still might not be good enough for Newcastle, I'm not really sure what argument you're making there?  He scored 3 goals for Fulham in the Premier League last season.  Either side of that he's scored 26 and 40 in the Championship.  All that proves is that he's more than good enough for this level, which is lower than where Newcastle aimed to be when they sold him.

I am realistic about incomings, I'm also realistic about our current players.  Howson was the worst of the three midfielders last season, and needs to be replaced in the side.  It shouldn't cost much at all to bring in a better player than him, he's not even our best midfielder let alone one of the top midfielders in the Championship, so replacing him really shouldn't be difficult.  If the club can't replace a bloke that wasn't that good to begin with when we signed him then what chance have they got of improving the rest of the team adequately enough to win promotion?  A GK, a midfielder, two strikers, left sided player.  Those are our priorities, that's where we need to upgrade in my opinion.

to be fair when he's played in the championship he has had the benefit of playing for teams which were newly relegated and kept the best part of their squad, i think most premier league teams if they kept most of their premier league team would see strikers who dont do much in the prem play and get great goal tallys, not to take away from the amount of goals he scored this year which was great, but he has had unreal service and great amount of opportunities to convert them shots. Think he one them players that too good from championship but in the prem they have more discipline and perform better in defence and takes a lot more to get them consistent high tally of goals

It will be interesting to see how Mitrovic does. He was poor last time in the premier league but before that he scored 11 and his overall record in the prem is 1 in 4 in poor teams.

It’s often about being clinical in the prem. you don’t get as many chances or as many easy chances.

he is 27 now and looks to have improved his game. 

11 hours ago, Riverside94 said:

The cynical me wonders if Howsons improved performances may be due to him trying to get one last deal elsewhere  

I think you should tell the cynical you to keep quiet because those thoughts are nonsense. 

Didn't cynical you listen to any of Howson's interviews?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boksicdink said:

If there really is anything in the constant links we have with Newcastle and Sunderland players every year, it's probably the proximity. The players will already be based relatively nearby, the games will be easier for scouts/coaches to go watch, including reserves/U23s. I don't think it's entirely out of the question that there is a challenge in asking players to move from the south to the north (as much as it is sometimes overblown) but we maybe get linked with them as we may well watch them more just because they're close by.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

Lazy journalism, just like 95% of all transfer speculation.

Dunno if its laziness so much as there simply isn't much concrete info available this early in the close season. Clubs seem to like to stay tight-lipped these days, as long as possible, so other clubs don't gatecrash deals.

14 hours ago, mendieta420 said:

to be fair Wilder managed to change our style with a mostly Warnock squad

That's a fair point, but I wouldn't say mostly. Warnock had only been here one full season, and I don't know how much the squad were suited to his playing style either. Wilder's squad had signings from Monk, Pulis and Woodgate in too, whereas Kompany would be taking a squad of players entirely signed by Dyche. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the phrase lazy journalism is accurate.  The guys have an allocated space they have to fill every day.  There is currently no or at least very little football.  Hence they have to fill the space with something. 

They will probably have most of theri contacts off on holiday as the season is finished and will be restarting again in a week or twos time.  It is a huge problem for them.  Transfer speculation is one of the main ones that is useful but accurate speculation is  difficult as most of the main players are away on holiday.

As far as tight lipped is concerned it is indeed very likely.  The recruitment teams are operating in a competative environment, a market place if you like.  Why would you want to tell your competitors what you are thinking

Some of the stories may indeed be spoofs by clubs to put other clubs off the scent  of what they are really up to

• Like 1

Gibson aside, I have been quite underwhelmed with the names that have been linked upto now. 

I'm hoping that genuine targets are not in the public domain as of right now due to the fact that we are trying to go about our business quietly and securing some decent deals on free agents. 

I'll be really frustrated if after this new operating model has been discussed and implemented, kind of mirroring GMs in US sports, we end up with a similar shortlist of players as we would have done previously i.e. ex-players and or ex-Sunderland/Newcastle players....as we get linked to Ross Stewart in the Sunderland Echo this morning...

I would love it if we could get a handle on a league and just secure decent talent at a good rate e.g. Brentford with Denmark or Celtic with the J-League. 

• Like 2
On 5/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, RiversideRed said:

Backup GK fine. But not as a starter. I'm fed up of us trying to do the GK position on cheap or a loan.

Do it properly or don't bother.

You need a keeper that's here for years. A reliable one who's going to win you 8-10 extra points a season.

We've scrimped and saved in a position that's too important for years. A different keeper every season.

The amount of keepers we're going through is laughable and they'll all been rubbish.

who that is available would you say fit that bill though? Most clubs arnt going to sell solid first choice's, unless they going up leagues and can't stop them progressing.

16 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think it's loans that he made to the club, I believe it's loans that were taken out to fund the purchase of the club.  The money was borrowed from the good people at MSD, which is where a chunk of the Derby County money was also owed. Part of the agreement was that if Burnley were relegated then the balance would have to be paid immediately rather than interest payments only being required for the first few years.  Burnley apparently have £50m in cash reserves so they aren't struggling for money, they will inevitably sell some players I guess as well.  Unfortunately, you have a club in Burnley who have actually operated their business in the right way, and have been comfortable in terms of FFP, but they have issues because the person who purchased the club was able to do so with loans made against the business they were buying.  It shouldn't be allowed in football.

Smart business by them bringing the loan back in while they have the parachute payments, also takes away the risk if the club starts to run at a massive loss in championship. If the club owners give up funding the club then that loan would be the first negotiating point by anyone making a take over to save the club, so would be them taking the hit.

13 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

They also had £102m of debt apparently. When that needs repaying, I don’t know. They have already received the transfer fee for Chris Wood, by borrowing from the bank, so Newcastle owe the bank the second instalment of £12.5m and not Burnley. 
Don’t think they are in dire straits, but they are certainly not rolling in cash. They could sell Pope, Cornet and O’Neill, as their major assets, but they will definitely need a lot of new players over the summer. We had better get used to stories linking both us and Burnley to the same players.

most clubs do that with transfer instalments to draw down any money due so can spend it now.

When the press links us with the same players season after season no matter the manager and use phrases like 'have looked at' and 'could be interested in' then this is lazy and they are trying to create a story from nothing.

Personally I instantly dismiss any articles that are generally so vague as lazy and not worth the ink they are printed with.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?