oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

36 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

If we go into the West Brom game with Coburn or Watmore leading the line I don't know where else you lay the blame other than those two and you've got the wrong guy if you think I'm calling for a spending spree. 

Personally I don't want the club to spend more than £4 million pounds on any one player, in this division I've never seen the value in putting a big investment into one player (see Saville, Bielik, Assombalonga, every Derby signing, Clucas etc). It's not a question of trying/not trying either it's whether they use the next week to find solutions to the issues. 

They've let their manager down if they don't bring a striker in for West Brom, we don't need every signing in for West Brom but they'd have let Wilder down if we see Watmore or Coburn leading the line. If you look around the league I don't think market conditions are an excuse for starting the season with on paper one of the weakest if not the weakest strikeforce in the league. 

I hope they pull it off and back him but I'm conscious that these are the same two executives who sanctioned a hefty seven figure loan fee for Hugill under Pulis and I'm not particularly confident in their negotiation skills and I don't underestimate their ability to make terrible financial decisions. 

OK fair enough it's just there seems to be a clamour from some fans for us to just go out and buy players as fast as possible for whatever it takes to get them. Obviously we have targets and it seems like we are only going to sign them if we can get them for a price we are happy with. Personally I think that's absolutely the right way to go and it's going to be a huge benefit for us moving forward as you pointed out we have been massively hindered paying out inflated fees on flops generally early in the window in the past. We look alot more sensible and considered in the transfer market this season.

I'm pretty sure Wilder understands that this season is not normal starting so early and I'm pretty sure he would prefer players he wants than just anyone that's available now to play the first game. If we were at the end of August and had missed out on some good players at good prices I'd be inclined to agree people have not been doing their jobs but as it stands we are doing the right thing imo in a market that isn't free flowing at the moment. Let's see how things pan out over the next week or so and in the worst case scenario we have two players who have proven to be good enough at this level who will get the chance to really put a marker down for the rest of the season and I'm quite confident by the end of the window we will have a couple more strikers in. 

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Would you rather sign Forss now as our main striker or play wba with Coburn up front if it meant getting Armstrong? 

in the grand scheme of things we will drop points here and there, we lost 9 games when we got promoted. It’s just not worth stressing over imo, better to get the right players than have to go all season with players like Sporar etc.

1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

If we go into the West Brom game with Coburn or Watmore leading the line I don't know where else you lay the blame other than those two and you've got the wrong guy if you think I'm calling for a spending spree. 

Personally I don't want the club to spend more than £4 million pounds on any one player, in this division I've never seen the value in putting a big investment into one player (see Saville, Bielik, Assombalonga, every Derby signing, Clucas etc). It's not a question of trying/not trying either it's whether they use the next week to find solutions to the issues. 

They've let their manager down if they don't bring a striker in for West Brom, we don't need every signing in for West Brom but they'd have let Wilder down if we see Watmore or Coburn leading the line. If you look around the league I don't think market conditions are an excuse for starting the season with on paper one of the weakest if not the weakest strikeforce in the league. 

I hope they pull it off and back him but I'm conscious that these are the same two executives who sanctioned a hefty seven figure loan fee for Hugill under Pulis and I'm not particularly confident in their negotiation skills and I don't underestimate their ability to make terrible financial decisions. 

Couldn’t agree more everyone was clamouring for a new model and buzzing with Kieran Scott joining, let the man do his job🤞

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Would you rather sign Forss now as our main striker or play wba with Coburn up front if it meant getting Armstrong? 

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. We need to bring three forwards in and it looks like at least one is going to be a perm. We can’t afford to wait until the end of August on all of them.

If we don’t sign at least one forward before the West Brom game then I think the club have to shoulder some of the responsibility as it comes down to poor planning. Out of our top five targets, there must be one of them that is available to go and get now.

I understand that we’ve been pretty much hamstrung while we’ve waited for the Spence deal to conclude, but whether it’s Forss, Gyokeres, Gayle, etc that we’re after, we should have been proactive in negotiating deals while we waited for a breakthrough with Spurs.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, JTG said:

I understand that we’ve been pretty much hamstrung while we’ve waited for the Spence deal to conclude, but whether it’s Forss, Gyokeres, Gayle, etc that we’re after, we should have been proactive in negotiating deals while we waited for a breakthrough with Spurs.

I am under the impression that is exactly what we have been doing and why Forss is so close to signing. Armstrong is hampered by the Saints getting in their targets. Gayle is seemingly costing way too much and has dropped off the radar unless Newcastle review how much they are going to have to swallow accepting that they have effectively both devalued and been overpaying him wage wise for another Club to take on that risk of an ageing asset with zero resale value.

Gyokeres is supposedly only available for "Spence" money which is too steep for a one season wonder. Clearly something was in discussion with McGoldrick but he didn't fancy uprooting his family. There will be discussions taking place with things being kept under wraps in case the likes of Celtic start sniffing around and of course the ITK's on here start squabbling.

• Like 3

You don’t know that we wernt ‘pro active’ though do you? It looks like we’re getting Forss so are you going to applaud the club for good planning? The news has came out pretty quickly after spence left so maybe they actually WERE proactive and negotiated in advance? 

Do you really believe they all just sat around doing nothing until spence left? Or maybe, just maybe they have been in touch with a ton of clubs negotiating. If we sort a deal for Armstrong and Southampton turn round and say we have to wait then what exactly can we do differently? 

If we sort a deal for a player and while waiting for spence to leave another club has came in with an offer and the player wants time to think, what exactly can we do differently? 

The facts are we are trying to fill a problem position that 90% of other teams are trying to fill, every team wants a good striker. The good strikers aren’t really in huge supply so we just have to accept that we have to wait and hope one of them accepts our offer. 

Surely by now with all the info out there about transfers and how many of these windows we’ve watched play out, we all should know that it’s largely out of our hands. All we can do is make an offer to the club and player, an offer that is accepted yesterday can be suddenly changed today and we’re back to square one.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Wilder basically confirming that Tavernier will be sold if the offer is good enough, though he'd rather not lose him.

Literally every footballer in the world will be sold if the offer is good enough... not sure there is any new news here

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Teacider said:

Literally every footballer in the world will be sold if the offer is good enough... not sure there is any new news here

It makes it clear that, from Wilder's understanding, we're not outright refusing all offers, and he seems to be hinting that Tavernier would probably like to go (understandably) but is acting completely professionally and getting on with his job.

Hopefully we don't sell him this summer, it would be a late blow, but I wouldn't blame Tavernier for taking the opportunity.

18 minutes ago, Teemo said:

I'd be happy to sell Tav for £15m

Or £12m + Lolley 

£3m worth of ice lollies? It must be really hot where you are 😀

• Haha 5
57 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

You don’t know that we wernt ‘pro active’ though do you? It looks like we’re getting Forss so are you going to applaud the club for good planning? The news has came out pretty quickly after spence left so maybe they actually WERE proactive and negotiated in advance? 

Do you really believe they all just sat around doing nothing until spence left? Or maybe, just maybe they have been in touch with a ton of clubs negotiating. If we sort a deal for Armstrong and Southampton turn round and say we have to wait then what exactly can we do differently? 

If we sort a deal for a player and while waiting for spence to leave another club has came in with an offer and the player wants time to think, what exactly can we do differently? 

The facts are we are trying to fill a problem position that 90% of other teams are trying to fill, every team wants a good striker. The good strikers aren’t really in huge supply so we just have to accept that we have to wait and hope one of them accepts our offer. 

Surely by now with all the info out there about transfers and how many of these windows we’ve watched play out, we all should know that it’s largely out of our hands. All we can do is make an offer to the club and player, an offer that is accepted yesterday can be suddenly changed today and we’re back to square one.

I’m not accusing the club of anything right now, I’m purely speaking in hypotheticals. If they bring in Forss before the West Brom game then fair play.

I know that these things can be complicated and it is not always the fault of the club, but eventually you’ve got to know when to change course. I’m not suggesting that now is the time to start going right down the list, but if we’ve made no progress in the next couple of weeks then realistically we need to start considering alternatives.

I accept that Armstrong is a marquee signing for pretty much any team in this division, he’s a proven goalscorer and a player worth waiting on. 

That still leaves two other forwards that need bringing in ASAP. I really don’t think we can afford to wait on more than one until the back end of the window. I don’t agree with people disregarding the start of the season. There’s 21 points to play for between now and 1st September.

• Like 1

Just listened to Wilder's interview with Drury.

I'd love to know what anyone who thinks he seemed pessimistic about signings coming in has heard. There was nothing in what he said that made me think at least a couple of players won't be in before West Brom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?