oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

My worry with Hoppe signing if he was identified last season prior to Wilder. This means he clearly isn’t a Wilder signing. Does he fit in with his style of play? Or is he just on a list from the recruitment team?

Is this list matching up with our style of play currently? 

This is where we go wrong. It’s not that we buy ‘bad’ strikers, we just get players in who don’t fit the style of play at the time.

I really Want him to succeed but I have reservations as to if they will slot in. 

I really don't see Wilder not signing off on any first team signings.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

My worry with Hoppe signing if he was identified last season prior to Wilder. This means he clearly isn’t a Wilder signing. Does he fit in with his style of play? Or is he just on a list from the recruitment team?

This is where we go wrong. It’s not that we buy ‘bad’ strikers, we just get players in who don’t fit the style of play at the time.

I really Want him to succeed but I have reservations as to if they will slot in. 

This is purely my opinion but I watch Bundesliga where I can and what I remember of Hoppe is tirelessly working, harrying defenders, technically decent and a cool finisher. That seems like a Wilder player to me

Failing at Mallorca is a worry and we don't have a lot of games to go off but most championship players are failed top flight players or else they wouldn't come here.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Wilder said he has a specific list of attributes that he wants in his players. Doubt he'd give it his approval if he didn't fit.

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

This is purely my opinion but I watch Bundesliga where I can and what I remember of Hoppe is tirelessly working, harrying defenders, technically decent and a cool finisher. That seems like a Wilder player to me

Failing at Mallorca is a worry and we don't have a lot of games to go off but most championship players are failed top flight players or else they wouldn't come here.

Language barrier, minor injury and then a loan Striker who Mallorca have now signed on a permanent made game time difficult.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Hopefully it’s different from now on. Whole point in a DoF is that you sign players to suit your style and same for the managers you hire. I’d like to think from now on if our manager leaves then we bring in a new manager that plays the same style of play as previous managers so that we don’t need a massive overhaul like we have been used to over the last decade. 

• Like 3

The translation in that Spanish article had me 🤣 ... a ringing endorsement for the lad, for sure.

Have to say if we end the window and our only 'upgrades' up front are Forss and Hoppe, my confidence in the team finishing top-six is dwindling ..

Hoppe is still very young so that is the only reason I feel we may be in luck and he comes good under Wilder and co's stewardship but really, underwhelming is putting it mildly. I think most of us are and were expecting better following the Spence sale, then the blow of losing Tav but at least getting a decent fee, I thought put us in an even better position to attract the talent we need .. 

I know we can't attract proper 'proven' strikers at the moment like a couple were discussing a few pages back .. we're not talking elite PL-level proven, but I don't believe there aren't better players out there we can bring in other than the likes of Hoppe and Forss. I dunno, we still might. But this window has been a drag and 'meh' is how I see it shutting if where we are at minute is anything to go by .. 

Losing Tav I think is a blow and I think there's a lack of urgency re; how much of a hole he has left to fill. I aren't so sure about McGree, we're putting our hopes in him and still don't know if he can really deliver.. it's a lot of pressure to be under and should he be injured, God forbid, wer're looking thin! We have lost him and Spence but at least received decent money and I aren't confident we're looking at spending 8-10 million on a player who would at least get tails wagging 

It doesn't feel like anything has really improved for us, if anything it's a downgrade where it matters. Which is a shame given that Steffen is a superb signing and watching Giles the other day along with Jones had me really excited to see what we could do if we sign a couple who are really going to get on the end of the work and chances they create. I like the look of Lenihan, too. They're all great signings. 

As others have said about the incomings so far up-front, I hope I am wrong but I just don't feel that encouraged and that much has really changed. We're taking a chance on two players I know nothing about tbh and good luck to them but really, I wouldn't get your 'Hoppes' up if that's about as much as we'll manage 🤣

17 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

He wasn’t identified last season mate, it’s the usual crap that clubs come out with to make it seem like every signing is some well thought out move.  No bugger knew or cared about the lad less than 2 years ago, he wasn’t even playing much for Schalke’s reserve teams.  They were terrible, and either they had injuries or just decided to roll the dice with him.  He played a game for them, then went back to the bench for a few, then came back in, scored a hat trick in Schalke’s only good performance of the season, then scored in the following game, and the one after. Wow! Where did this guy come from?  Suddenly everyone knows about him, and everyone cares about him, he is very much on the radar, and you can bet that Norwich would have been aware.  Now he has a reputation, he’s a fantastic young prospect that everyone is looking at but then he doesn’t score any more goals for lots of games, and only gets one more in total.  

The end of the season comes and Schalke realise they can cash in, during the season they were talking about fees up to 8/9 million for him.  In the event, he moves for about 3 million to Mallorca because really there weren’t lots of teams looking at him, or rather, they looked and decided not to bother.  He goes to Mallorca, isn’t good enough for them, and now he makes his way here because the strikers we would like to sign we can’t get done so we will take a chance on this lad in the hope that the glimpses he showed in a few games with Schalke, can become more than just glimpses here.

Edited by Changing Times
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, Aphex_Boro said:

He didn't even bother last season did he

Just took the year off

I’m pretty sure that his medical showed up quite a serious long term injury that needed sorted before he could play again for anybody?

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Not bad considering schalke we’re called the worst side in bundesliga history 

Yeh, they were awful and he was also only 19 years old in his first senior season playing at a high level European League. We can only get behind the lad and see how he develops

• Like 3
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?