oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

1 minute ago, PayeroAndParty said:

I’m sure it was Howson on that first goal is saying to Leninan exactly that, telling him to come out to block/put pressure on willock for his shot.

Yeah you're right but I'm talking way before then, our positioning when we lost the ball was really poor as a team. That space (50 yards) between Howson and Lenihan was too big. 

For the shot Lenihan and McGree didn't do enough to pressure Willock. 

To be honest the 2nd and 3rd goals are just as bad but the 1st is worrying for the way we were so easily opened up on the break. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Good shout Duvel, the three centre backs stayed deep all the first half, leaving acres of space for QPR to exploit in front of them. I cannot believe that Wilder asked them to do this as we just don’t have the legs in the team to get back, so can only presume that the three of them just did not do as instructed. It was noticeable that this changed second half and for a while we looked a compact unit. Having thought about it overnight and calmed down a bit, my only conclusion is that we don’t have the players for this system. Oh for a Claude Makelele or Ngolo Kante  in that central defensive position , then Wilders system would work

Is that Lenihan and Bola not being comfortable enough in the system yet? 

No Hanibal for Man Utd today but dont think he would have made squad anyway.

And no Hamza for Leicester which is more interesting as usual he would make the squad of 20

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Shame he doesn't want to come to us 

Very weird that we haven’t looked at alternative players during the summer if it’s true that he has turned us down twice. Should have been moving on to a different player after he turned us down the first time. He’s got no future at Leicester and still doesn’t want to come. Says it all really. Move on and get another. There is a whole world of DM’s out there. Why keep trying for someone that doesn’t want to play for us. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, macapes said:

Not a great surprise that he'd want to try to stay in the PL

If he doesn’t want to come that’s ok and we move on. The fact we have tried for him would suggest that the manager thinks we do need that type of player.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Is that Lenihan and Bola not being comfortable enough in the system yet? 

I think so as at times they were looking around like lost souls as they tried to keep a straight line, so much so that they ignored the gaps in front of them. If that is the case it begs the question as to what we have been doing all pre season !

• Like 3

It was similar when we played QPR at home at the start of last season. Players looking at each other, positioning by numbers, ignoring the opposition as they strolled to the 18-yard box unopposed.

I find it a bit bizarre that people are looking at those pictures and coming to the conclusion that it must be because Wilder has told them all to be massively out of position.

Yes, we do sometimes press high (and I stress sometimes because it is really only under certain triggers), but football is about balance, rotation, and movement. A press in modern football is not just "everybody run at the ball whenever they see it". If Howson is the one pressing high, somebody should drop into his position to cover him. My criticism of this goal is aimed at Crooks and McGree as well as Howson. You do not play 3 central midfielders and instruct them all to press the opposition box for 90 minutes. Especially in our system where we encourage our LCB and RCB to advance and join the attack.

I'd encourage people to watch the way that Man City counter-press under Guardiola (as Barcelona did before) and see how advanced Rodri/Fernandinho play (as Busquets used to) compared to the #8s. It's just basic football; you have a midfield pivot to play around who anchors the centre of the park. If we aren't going to use a defensive midfielder, then in a 3 at the back system it needs to be the central defender stepping up and occupying the space.

It is criminal for any football team to leave the centre of the pitch infront of their defenders unoccupied.

The only time Howson should be near the opponent's box is if we are camped outside it and trying to break them down. In this situation, we were in fact building possession through the midfield, close to our own half. He has no reason to be so advanced, which leads me to my next point...

Yes, it is a "counter attack" but if you are suffering from counter attacks that allow the opposition's best player to essentially carry the ball from the midway point of their half through to the edge of your box without a single midfielder challenging them, then you are fundamentally playing a brand of football that is defensively unsustainable.

It's not like we were throwing bodies forward to try and score a late goal and were leaving gaps. This was the 13th minute of the game.

TL;DR Wilder definitely does not instruct all 3 midfielders to get into the opposition's box all at once, and our midfielders haven't got the defensive discipline, athleticism, or work rate to control the centre of the park. We need a new #6.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Do any of the ITK people know if we are actively looking for a CM replacement for Tav or a CDM? Or are we just looking at attacking options? 

thanks in advance

It’s been mentioned numerous times that we’ve tried for Chudhoury😁

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?