oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

21 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Is it being quoted as that?  Has anyone other than people trying to make silly points about Boro fans used marquee strikers?  I thought I've only seen marquee signings being used but perhaps you're right, I dunno. 

As we haven't signed any big name players or marquee signings, it doesn't really matter either way does it?  At this point in time, what he expected to happen, hasn't happened, so it's weird that there are people trying to suggest that Boro fans have gotten it wrong.  Also, as we're clearly being pedantic, he didn't say he was 'hoping to sign big name players', he said 'There will be some big names that will come'.  If we're going to have dumb discussions like this we may as well be accurate while we're doing it.

Accurate: “When we’re bringing players in there will be some big-name players in there *that we hope* and I believe we can attract to this football club".

Dumb: Directly quoting Wilder as saying there would be marquee signings.

Pedantic: A word often used as a defence mechanism by people shown to have been inaccurate, to downplay their error.

Of course the window has been disappointing, but not because we have failed to make a marquee signing.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Just now, PsychFur said:

Who is having a pop at fellow fans? Those words are not quoted in the EG article so for all intents and purposes CW did not say those words. 

I post infrequently here and tend to lurk hoping to pick up transfer information. 

One thing I have learned is that some posters such as yourself seem to 'rule the roost' and what you say goes. 

It's not healthy. 

The people who are trying to pretend that Wilder didn't say something that he did say in order to make out that our fans are being unrealistic or unreasonable. 

They are quoted.  It's at the beginning of the article unless you are saying that 'big name, marquee' was made up by the Gazette, and also put into quote marks like that?  If you are then fair enough, as I said earlier, it wouldn't exactly surprise me.  It just seems like an odd thing to make up when we know that Wilder did say big names.  It was mentioned on here that marquee might have been taken from a radio interview as well for what it's worth.

If what I say went on here then the forum would be a very different place 😉  And the week's ban I had a little while ago would suggest otherwise anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

As we've already bid and they've turned it down, aren't you saying just pay a bit more for Greaves,?  What's the difference between paying more for him and paying more for Larsen?

Because Greaves has championship experience and should fit right in… Larsen is an unknown and more money

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

As we've already bid and they've turned it down, aren't you saying just pay a bit more for Greaves,?  What's the difference between paying more for him and paying more for Larsen?

Doesn’t it depend on how much we have already offered as against how much we think the maximum the player is worth. We may have offered the maximum Larsen is worth in our opinion in order to meet Groningens asking price. That means when they moved the goalposts (if that is what has happened) we will be unwilling to offer more. With Greaves we may have offered a lower price than our maximum, which would be sensible in opening bids. Therefore we may have some leeway in price yet.

Just now, Bosco's Tuft said:

Accurate: “When we’re bringing players in there will be some big-name players in there *that we hope* and I believe we can attract to this football club".

Dumb: Directly quoting Wilder as saying there would be marquee signings.

Pedantic: A word often used as a defence mechanism by people shown to have been inaccurate, to downplay their error.

Of course the window has been disappointing, but not because we have failed to make a marquee signing.

Who said it had been disappointing because we failed to make a marquee signing?  Has anyone actually said that?  Seriously, I'm asking cos I haven't seen it.

It's not dumb to directly quote something that he said.  The idea that if he said it then it must be included in the handful of quotes in an article however is pretty dumb.  If it's not there then he didn't say it, yeah nice one.  But in any case, let's pretend that big names and marquee mean something completely different in an effort to have a go at Boro fans.  And that's where the pedantry is, nothing to do with inaccuracy, the idea that they mean something different when you know, I know, and every other bugger knows, that it means the same thing.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ScarBoro said:

Doesn’t it depend on how much we have already offered as against how much we think the maximum the player is worth. We may have offered the maximum Larsen is worth in our opinion in order to meet Groningens asking price. That means when they moved the goalposts (if that is what has happened) we will be unwilling to offer more. With Greaves we may have offered a lower price than our maximum, which would be sensible in opening bids. Therefore we may have some leeway in price yet.

How do we know whether we've offered the maximum for Larsen?  Maybe we offered a lower price than our maximum for him?  Maybe we already offered our maximum for Greaves?  We've got people on here saying we can't bid more for one player cos that's not how we should do things whilst talking about bidding more for another player.  It makes no difference to me but either you're open to it or you aren't.  

4 minutes ago, DocMartin said:

Will some of you calm down please, the parents are trying to sleep.

And children should have been asleep long ago 🤣

Edit: that sounds like I'm calling DocMartin a child, which wasn't what I meant at all...

• Haha 1

It is of course relative to our stature when he says marquee also.

For me, a marquee signing for Boro currently, is someone that would make other clubs say "I'm surprised he's gone to them".

Dropping down a division is a factor, but only probably for players who could maybe secure a loan or transfer to remain in the prem.

Hannibal and Choudhury would both be considered great coups, because I'm sure they would be sought after, but I wouldn't put them in the 'marquee' category.

Of all the name's linked, personally, I'd say the ones considered marquee would be only Armstrong and maybe Gyokeres because of how good he was last season and admittedly one game in, seems to have continued in the same vein of form.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, White Band said:

And children should have been asleep long ago 🤣

Edit: that sounds like I'm calling DocMartin a child, which wasn't what I meant at all...

Come on, be honest, that is what you meant 😉

Just listened to a few interviews from earlier in the summer from Wilder and now I refuse to believe our strike force will be Hoppe, Forss, Muniz, Akpom and Watmore

There will for sure be another Larsen type if not Larsen himself, Wilder be walking if we give him those 5 and say get us top 6 

14 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

Because Greaves has championship experience and should fit right in… Larsen is an unknown and more money

The only thing that puts me off about greaves is according to their fans he’s a ‘hull lad’ and wants to stay there, reminds me of Gibson and fry. Hopefully his heart will still be in it if he is sold apparently against his will.

I'd really like to think that from the outside, young talents are looking at Spence and Tav and thinking they can come here and really make a name for themselves, especially players like Larsen coming in from Holland etc. 

But if I'm being honest I'm slightly overwhelmed with how much business we need to do. LCB, 2 striker and you could easily make a case for 2-3 midfielders. It's still early but irrespective of the time, that feels like a lot of bodies for any single transfer window

• Like 1

GK: Steffan - Loan

GK: Roberts - Free

LCB: Greaves - £7m

CCB: Lenihan - Free

LM: Giles - Loan

CDM:

LCM:

RCM: 

RM: Smith - Free

ST: Larsen - £10m

ST: Forss - £3m

ST: Hoppe - £2.5m

ST: Muniz - Loan

Total Cost of £22.5M

Sold;

Spence: £12.5m rising to £20m with add-ons.

Tavernier: £10m hahahahaha rising to 12.5m with add-ons. We're *** Jokers!!! 🤣

£3m compensation from Derby we got this summer too.

25.5m in sales and compensation, with the potential of 10m in addons rising it to £35.5m in sales.

Although the add-ons won't come until at least next summer so not including that in this summers transfer funds.

I'd assume we could maybe invest a few million from without sales if needs be too so lets say £4.5m investment from Gibson. Some of the money from last seasons cup run to United, Tottenham and Chelsea perhaps. Giving us £30m total.

That would leave us anywhere between £3m-£7m to invest in DM, LCM and RCM. We would also have two loan spaces.

Any ideas for realistic CM options? I'd loan at least one midfield option, possible two depending on funds left.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?