oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

When you think about it, Spence and Tav going to PL sides actually makes us more attractive to the likes of Strand Larsen. Young players wanting to get into the PL will see us as a real option to further their careers. We'll obviously be trying to keep them, but our outgoings so far give us more leverage in the minds of potential incomings. 

For the record I don't think we'd have had any different results so far with Tav in the team, just hoping the backroom lads can pull 5 good ones out of the bag before the window closes.

And you know what they say "when one window closes, a door opens. I have to get a new car".

• Like 5
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, HolgateHero said:

When you think about it, Spence and Tav going to PL sides actually makes us more attractive to the likes of Strand Larsen. Young players wanting to get into the PL will see us as a real option to further their careers.

This. It will pay to be seen as a club with a reputation of being fair and not standing in the way of young players progressing their careers.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Think we should have a OB day out at Rockliffe on deadline day.... gut feeling says its going to be a busy one 

but only still only communicate to each other via this forum

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
20 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Think we should have a OB day out at Rockliffe on deadline day.... gut feeling says its going to be a busy one 

It’d be a *** day out with our record on deadline day best pack the golf clubs 

2 hours ago, JTG said:

I wonder if we’d consider doing what we did we Uche, effectively tearing his contract up just to get his wages off the books.

It’s a big risk for any interested parties given his past injuries and I’m not sure I see many clubs lining up with decent offers because of that. We didn’t pay anything for him so we’re not exactly left out of pocket.

Watmore has been a great free transfer, we are now looking to upgrade him, and we have a club willing to buy him, so we will sell him when we get his replacement. We are not giving him away, that would make no sense. 

• Like 4

If it is Sunderland, we should hang on to him until late January as you can guarantee what would happen when they played us. Yes, he misses sitters, but he still scores more than Chuba and probably always will. If we have to retain one, would still take him but in common with everyone else, think he is best when thrown on after an hour. Personal opinion but when used properly still think he could be of use against "weaker" teams. 

35 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Watmore has been a great free transfer, we are now looking to upgrade him, and we have a club willing to buy him, so we will sell him when we get his replacement. We are not giving him away, that would make no sense. 

Perhaps I’m reading too much into it but I just feel like if I was an interested party I’d have some serious concerns about the comments from Wilder back end of last season and beginning of this season about having to manage his knee and playing on one leg etc.

It’s a shame because without all the baggage he’s easily worth 1 - 1.5m of anyone’s money but it’s a huge risk and like I said I just struggle to see anybody taking it.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Another rebuilding season?  We do more rebuilds here than Lego.

If this is a rebuild season then next season becomes another one we'd have to assume?  Steffen and Giles return to their parent clubs, Muniz too if we end up getting him on loan.  Howson packs in presumably.  We probably lose Fry if we haven't already sold him by that point, same goes for Jones if he has anything resembling his first season with us.  Akpom and Watmore are both out of contract so they leave, again assuming they haven't left beforehand.  McNair and Bola have a year left on their contracts at this point so we're either selling or extending, and at the moment I reckon selling is more likely than extending either.  Next season's squad is therefore something like Roberts, Dijksteel, Lenihan, Crooks, McGree, Forss, Hoppe, Coburn, plus any permanent signings we are still to make, and whoever we don't sell out of Fry, Jones, McNair, Bola. 

So then we've already spent the £20m we got this summer, and it's only got two years left for FFP purposes, we get the money from that summer's sales though, however we are having to bring in a goalkeeper, left wingback, right wingback, central defender(s), another midfielder, and a couple of strikers, and that's assuming that the players we've added this summer end up being decent.  I just don't think we are looking to bid big on the likes of Larsen and Greaves to undertake another rebuilding season.

People have spoken about the disadvantage of other club's parachute payments.  This is still going to be an issue unless they get stopped completely.  Two ways that you can counter that disadvantage is to sell players for big fees, giving you your own influx of funds, and to produce your own talent/find players elsewhere who can step up.  Arguably we have done both of those things - we've sold players for decent money, we've brought in the likes of Jones, Spence, even someone like Crooks, for very little really.  We've produced first team members like Tavernier and Fry, even Coburn, maybe Finch could be the next one, or Gibson perhaps.  I would say that we are now right in our promotion window.

Every well-run team is continuously planning on building over multiple transfer windows; The cycle never stops. Since relegation in 2017, Gibson has talked the talk about building something, but we simply haven't - in the end it was abundantly clear that it was merely PR and lacked any substance. Therefore, I completely understand the apprehension and scepticism towards the prospect of building a team over a few transfer windows. Ultimately we’re just going to have to leave Scott to it and hope he manages to build something effective over the next few transfer windows. It was never going to be a quick-fix of turning everything around this summer, so patience is going to be needed as we're not going to hit our top gear immediately. While many our competitors are doping on parachute payments, we're up against it to compete against them - especially before we've had the time to build the team up and implement Scott and Wilder's plans behind the scenes.

While I’m more on the spectrum of blind optimism over many things Boro related, I’ve conversely been one of Gibson’s biggest critics on here for his complete lack of long-term strategy and inability to hand over power to someone like Scott, so I’m incredibly happy that we seem to finally be on that path now, and happy to be patient over the short to medium term. We're at the start of a long-term project, so we’ll definitely still be building next season - we're never. However, the level of building that will be needed next season will be nowhere near the level of this first disruptive summer transfer window under Scott. I’m imagining the next two transfer windows will play out as follows:

2022/23:

Create solid foundations to build upon through a huge overhaul of clearing the deadwood and signing a good balance of quality players to fit the system, so that we have a well-balanced team – with the aim of signing as much value for money as possible within our budget. We’ve also had the unwelcomed curveball of selling a key player, Tavernier, just before the window starts, which makes it an especially difficult job in the short-term. So far this window we've made good progress on that with the summer signings, but there’s undoubtedly a lot of work still to be done in the final weeks of the transfer window – which is fortunately boosted by us sitting on a nice pot of money. The remaining key signings are a left-footed LCB, DM and two more strikers. We should be about 80% done.

2023/24:

Pretty much completed the squad build, with all the natural balance and depth issues resolved, improving quality first 11, more key players on permanent deals, and the permanent signings like McGree, Forss and Hoppe developing well. Then we shouldn't be in anywhere near the vulnerable position we're currently in during the period between the season starting and the transfer window closing.

In subsequent transfer windows we should just require the standard replenishment of looking for improvements on the current squad like most well run clubs are. The build phase would be over but the long-term project continues to keep planning for the future.

• Like 4

I can see someone taking him for a "nominal" fee. No clue what that ever means. Imagine him in league 2.......easily top scorer playing 60 mins per game. Does that get promotion? Or top 6? Worth 100-250k just for the promotion or chance to go to Wembley. I reckon top end league 1 though. Maybe a Derby type team 

Edited by Tudders80
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?