oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

1 minute ago, Dynamo Kev said:

these days a 10 is the attacking midfielder. its open to interpretation. i was just thinking that wilder wouldnt refer a 10 as in the modern 10. because we play 2 up front. so his 10 would be a second striker or target man type for his system.

looking at our squad numbers in use what do you think a 4, 5, 9, 10, 11's are in his lineup?

2 jones 

3 giles

4 CB

5 CDM

6 FRY

7 CM

8 MCGREE

9 STRIKER (MUNIZ)

10 TARGET MAN, (STRAND LARSON)

11 FORWARD? 

In the U21 game yesterday the numbers were

2-5-3

4-8-6-7-11

9-10

I presume that's the normal first 11 number positions for 3-5-2. 

20220812_182206.jpg.a4f50c1753ae917551632790bdf2f2d0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Yeah Mowatt is very similar to McGree in his play style. He won’t bring the energy or athleticism that we miss from Tav. 

We don't need to replicate Tav though, I do get why people think we should go like for like but potentially we benefit from more ball playing midfielders as what Tav gave us energy wise he lacked in retention. Equally I couldn't tell you a player who we could get who does the same role, hence why Bournemouth paid the money they did for him.

I do think we desperately need a strong defensive midfielder though and have done for a while

• Like 4

I find the claims he's no better or too similar to McGree pretty strange, McGree is yet to even nail down a place for us beyond looking promising at number 10 where as Mowatt was in the team of the year the season before last and has consistently scored and assisted.

Mowatt is much more combative and used to pressing football too

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JonnyMFC said:

More excited than that time that woman brushed past you in the queue in Morrisons?

You mean Rocking Horse Wendy?...if you don't know who she is Google her...She had quite a following in the 70's that queue on the stairs was horrendous...it nearly broke me...but I was very young and eager

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

We don't need to replicate Tav though, I do get why people think we should go like for like but potentially we benefit from more ball playing midfielders as what Tav gave us energy wise he lacked in retention. Equally I couldn't tell you a player who we could get who does the same role, hence why Bournemouth paid the money they did for him.

I do think we desperately need a strong defensive midfielder though and have done for a while

I agree with you regarding like for like with Tav. But we've kinda gone to an extreme with Mcgree/Howson/Crooks. It must be the slowest midfield in the league. We need to improve that side of things. 

Mowatt has a great left peg, great dribbler and he tries to make things happen for those in front of him - I think it's a great signing so long as we haven't paid an extortionate loan fee!

You don't need pace to be effective from midfield in this league, his style reminds me a lot of Bradley Johnson when he was younger he'll give us effort in getting around the pitch but he's really there to get on the ball and make things happen going forward. 

46 minutes ago, pikerman said:

A lot of people within WBA, not just the fans, are not very happy with our signing of Mowatt, he was very highly thought of within the dressing room and coaching set up. He never seemed to click with Bruce but kept his head down regained his fitness but was then cold shouldered, very strange as they are not brimming over with midfielders. Their loss is our gain, a very solid midfielder at this level who will replace Howson I guess. I understand that we are paying his wages for the season but with no loan fee, no idea about recall options, my source doesn’t have that answer

Lets hope he gets on better with Wilder.

In any case I guess we shouldn't get too used to seeing him in a Boro shirt...unless WBA eventually decide they don't mind selling him to us for a price we can afford.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dynamo Kev said:

wilder said we are bringing in a 4, 5, 9, 10 and 11. 4 being a cb and 5 being a cdm. well with wilder being a 90's player guessing thats what a no5 means. 

probably just means wilder is looking to sign 5 more senior first team players so hoppe will have to use a squad number. 2 being strikers 2 midfielders and a cb. one down 4 to go then. great signing mowatt.

For me, No. 5 should always be a centre back (Boam), and No. 4 a midfielder (Souness).

• Like 4

“We could have done ten deals by now, but we’d have overpaid," he said blunty. "Some clubs do overpay, and then they have to deal with the consequences down the line. We could be sat here where there wouldn’t have to be questions about recruitment because it would have all been done."

"But what would have been done would have been overpaying and putting ourselves in a poor financial position and gambling massively our long-term future for immediate gain. We could quite easily do that, break rules and then do this and do that to work your way around it. Dodge bullets here and cut corners there.

"You can’t do it, or you shouldn’t do it. We could have easily done it and the manager would be sat here saying, ‘brilliant, I’m alright. I’ve got what I want’. But, as we know, what happens - the consequences and the knock-on effect of the big gamble - has to be picked up by an owner, and at this club the owner doesn’t want to do it that way. Alternatively, somebody else picks it up or deals with the slack down the line, and I don’t think that’s how a football club should be run."

“I’ve felt it before. People lose their jobs - people who have been working at the football club for 30-35 years. Local contractors don’t get paid and go out of business. People get shafted. The football club then loses points, slides, relegation… Bang! Bang! Bang!

"I understand it. Supporters are happy at the time, and it’s maybe a slight criticism of how certain supporters sometimes think. They’re quite happy for everybody to spend and live in the moment."

"I remember the Portsmouth situation where they lived in that moment of winning the FA Cup and being in the UEFA Cup and having about 15 guys on £100 grand a week, in a ground that holds about 14-15,000 fans. That’s 14-15,000 really passionate supporters. But all of a sudden a bomb goes off beneath it and all of a sudden they’re in League Two trying to get out of it.”

from the Gazette article on Wilders latest press conference.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

“We could have done ten deals by now, but we’d have overpaid," he said blunty. "Some clubs do overpay, and then they have to deal with the consequences down the line. We could be sat here where there wouldn’t have to be questions about recruitment because it would have all been done."

"But what would have been done would have been overpaying and putting ourselves in a poor financial position and gambling massively our long-term future for immediate gain. We could quite easily do that, break rules and then do this and do that to work your way around it. Dodge bullets here and cut corners there.

"You can’t do it, or you shouldn’t do it. We could have easily done it and the manager would be sat here saying, ‘brilliant, I’m alright. I’ve got what I want’. But, as we know, what happens - the consequences and the knock-on effect of the big gamble - has to be picked up by an owner, and at this club the owner doesn’t want to do it that way. Alternatively, somebody else picks it up or deals with the slack down the line, and I don’t think that’s how a football club should be run."

“I’ve felt it before. People lose their jobs - people who have been working at the football club for 30-35 years. Local contractors don’t get paid and go out of business. People get shafted. The football club then loses points, slides, relegation… Bang! Bang! Bang!

"I understand it. Supporters are happy at the time, and it’s maybe a slight criticism of how certain supporters sometimes think. They’re quite happy for everybody to spend and live in the moment."

"I remember the Portsmouth situation where they lived in that moment of winning the FA Cup and being in the UEFA Cup and having about 15 guys on £100 grand a week, in a ground that holds about 14-15,000 fans. That’s 14-15,000 really passionate supporters. But all of a sudden a bomb goes off beneath it and all of a sudden they’re in League Two trying to get out of it.”

from the Gazette article on Wilders latest press conference.

Sounds like he's entirely bought into Gibson and Scott's strategy. He won't be going anywhere any time soon. Excellent interview. 

• Like 5
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?