oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

7 minutes ago, p_mards said:

I appreciate that optimism will be very difficult for you to understand so I'll try my best to explain mine for our recent signings. As one of Steve Gibson's biggest critics due to his complete lack of long-term vision, I'm delighted that he's brought in Scott to run things behind the scenes. I'm excited because of the long-term vision that's underpinning our recruitment, which I can see it in the signings so far this summer and even in the January permanent signing of McGree. Though, I was undoubtedly too optimistic in January regarding Balogun and Connolly as I thought they were exactly what we needed, but I got that very wrong.

My point is that signings who aren't exciting names such as McGoldrick as our 4th choice striker doesn't really warrant being met with such extreme negativity. He's been written off by a decent section of fans as a bad signing because he's not an exciting name; Without any regard to our system, squad role, budget available and what sorts of characters Wilder wants etc.

I think the signings are good additions and hopefully with a decent keeper to come and a full preseason with Wilder we should be a playoff calibre team next season. 

If we want to get promoted I think we'll need more goals and general quality in the final 3rd though. On paper our business looks decent so far but the real important signing(s) are still to come. 

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Darlow is without doubt an improvement, however i would have been keen on Iversen who may be more expensive but offers the better value long term (for me). Iversen will be a multi million pound sale to come, Darlow is the equivalent of  a good shot stopper who gaffs a bit more frequently unfortunately.

• Like 1

No doubt there are a lot of negotiations and permutations being worked out in the background right now. By "permutations" I don't mean tactics, I mean who we think we can afford and then what we actually get quoted and what we think we can agree on and what the associated costs would be. Then there's the £20M Spence money which may be £5M less or if Levy has his way more like £10M less.

If we brought Armstrong, Gyokeres and Gayle in I think most would see that as formidable at this level for next season. Armstrong's loan fee and wages will not be cheap for a Championship side but I'm guessing we knew that before talking to Southampton. Gyokeres likewise sounds like he isn't going to be a £6M signing on £12K a week and again we probably knew we would have to dig a bit deeper there. Gayle comes with a reputation but from a few years back and will likely be rusty but could be devastating at this level but seemingly it's going to cost us big on either a loan/transfer fee and wages or both. Reality is that we are probably a few quid short of what we would ideally like to spend for the three and maybe the anticipated Spence money has been revised downwards.

I can envisage a conversation along the lines of we can afford two but not all three Strikers without putting ourselves into a bit of a financial quandary bearing in mind that we still need a LCB and a good first choice Keeper. I think this is where McGoldrick fits in, cheap, proven at this level, knows the Manager and the system and will probably be more than adequate (certainly more than Connolly or Balogun were) leaving money for serious bids for Gyokeres and Armstrong with Gayle dropping out of the equation (or maybe Gyokeres if he is the £25M quoted Striker Wilder talked about).

A strong front two pairing with McGoldrick, Watmore and Coburn (or a.n.other if he is loaned out) as back ups is good enough. Having say Gayle as the third choice would be better (assuming he picks up where he left off some time ago) but if it means we then can't afford a Darlow or Iverson then something has to give. If McGoldrick is the plan "B" for getting £5M less for Spence then it makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like 3

Now brace yourselves for some really disappointing news but I have it on good authority, sadly can not reveal the source, but we are not looking at nor will we be signing any "Croatians" this transfer window.

I bring this up because previous seasons we have always reverted to mentioning "Croatians" therefore I wanted to put this to bed once and for all.

Terribly sorry about this guys

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

'Turkish giants Besiktas have made a £2.5 million bid for Reading’s Portuguese striker Lucas Joao.

Coach Valerien Ismael is a huge fan of the forward who is entering the last year of his deal with the Royals.

Besiktas are willing to gamble on Joao’s fitness after a first rating campaign, coming on the back of a super season with the Championship club.

However Reading are in difficulties with transfer restrictions and need more money for Joao - even if he can go for nothing in a year.

Besiktas will not wait and could demand an answer to their attractive offer by the end of this week.'

Fresh off the press for all the Joao fans who were hoping we would sign him.

• Haha 1

Apparently Payero was live on Instagram at 4am last night. Which suggests he was probably in a different time zone...

• Like 1

Payero is going back to Argentina because he's homesick and struggling to settle. The club wanted him to go out on loan in England but he's pushed to go home.

Sadly I don't think we'll see him in a Boro shirt again.

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Payero is going back to Argentina because he's homesick and struggling to settle. The club wanted him to go out on loan in England but he's pushed to go home.

Sadly I don't think we'll see him in a Boro shirt again.

Pretty sure his girlfriend / partner has also left him 

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, LBP said:

Who could we realistically replace Jones with 

Ethan Laird, Conor Roberts, Yan Valery?

Doubt there's many traditional right backs that could offer the same output as Jones, would probably have to look at wingers who could be converted 

Watmore do a job 😂

Spence

21 hours ago, LBP said:

https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-insider-confirms-unplayable-isaiah-jones-rumours/

Dont think I've seen this posted but seems there's genuine interest in Jones from West Ham, I think his head may be turned by a London club playing in Europe

Need someone asking that ex WHU employee guy on twitter 

He's staying put don't worry

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?