oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

I'd not be too concerned with £8m, I just hope we've done more than just watch him in the games against us to judge whether he's good or not. £15m might not even be a ludicrous asking price for Coventry all things considered but it'd be ludicrous for us to pay it.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'd not be too concerned with £8m, I just hope we've done more than just watch him in the games against us to judge whether he's good or not.

To be fair it doesn't sound like a one off. Cov fans funnily enough seem to think that his finishing is actually his biggest weakness and that his overall game and contribution to the team is excellent.

20 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Remember when fans of other teams hated us for ‘buying the league’ cos strachan spent £9m that summer lol, crazy how far the championship has come since then. I don’t think £8m is that crazy a fee, specially when players like waghorn have gone for £6m.

I’m not that up to date anymore with football, just never got back into the habit after warnock and pulis and then covid killed a lot of my interest so I’m not sure what kind of striker Gyokeres is. But from what I remember Gayle and Armstrong seem similar in style, so I’d imagine it would be gyokeres plus Armstrong with Gayle on the bench.

As for mcgoldrick I’ve always kind of liked him, I wanted him when he left Ipswich but he was dismissed as too old then and he went on to have a great season. Not expecting him to repeat that, but he’s an intelligent player, he can score and create and I think he’s decent at set pieces aswell iirc. Don’t see the issue getting him in as a cheap back up who won’t be demanding starts etc.

" I don’t think £8m is that crazy a fee, specially when players like waghorn have gone for £6m." 

See Waghorn had a much better season than Gyokeres, with 16 goals and 11 assists and went for 6m... Then he was a pretty disappointing signing after that. Goes to show there's still a massive risk. Would be apprehensive at 8m...

Was just reading as well that apparently Hamer is in London for talks with Fulham. Could potentially make striking a deal for Gyokeres more difficult as presumably they'll be very reluctant to lose two of their star players.

2 minutes ago, Foogle said:

" I don’t think £8m is that crazy a fee, specially when players like waghorn have gone for £6m." 

See Waghorn had a much better season than Gyokeres, with 16 goals and 11 assists and went for 6m... Then he was a pretty disappointing signing after that. Goes to show there's still a massive risk. Would be apprehensive at 8m...

Gyokeres is a decent striker but he has been hyped to hell. Don't think he is much better than Godden tbh alebit younger

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Waghorn had also spent years as a totally average journeyman and suddenly popped up with one good season, it was obvious it was a blip rather than his true ability.

gyokeres has a decent record at all levels for Sweden and finished last season for Coventry with 17 goals and 5 assists so I don’t see how waghorn had a ‘much better season’?

The most well rounded striker in the Champ for me and £8m is a fair price, feel he's capable of making the step up to the prem as well

He reminds me of Armando Broja 

36 minutes ago, JTG said:

Was just reading as well that apparently Hamer is in London for talks with Fulham. Could potentially make striking a deal for Gyokeres more difficult as presumably they'll be very reluctant to lose two of their star players.

I wonder if they're being hindered by the lack of money they're getting in, presumably down to the Spence deal not going through. So they're looking elsewhere for funds and yeah, may well be more justified in sitting on a higher price for Gyokeres as a result.

If last year we were offered a striker who scored 17 goals + £7m for Spence we would have laughed! Cov will want  17 goal striker price and be aware we have a history of not being afraid to spend big whilst also be about to get 10-20m for 1 player.

FWIW all I have seen of Gyokeres is his goals comp on youtube and IMO he lucked lucky rather than lethal. But if he is Wilders first choice, 8m in todays market seems about right.

20 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Waghorn had also spent years as a totally average journeyman and suddenly popped up with one good season, it was obvious it was a blip rather than his true ability.

gyokeres has a decent record at all levels for Sweden and finished last season for Coventry with 17 goals and 5 assists so I don’t see how waghorn had a ‘much better season’?

For the record I do think Gyokeres is a better prospect for his overall play. But there are unnerving parallels, I'd expect his overall goal contributions to decrease next season just because last season was above his average performances thus far. I'd expect about 10 goals and a few assists from him and I'd take that for 6-8m because of his overall play. 

55 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Gyokeres is a decent striker but he has been hyped to hell. Don't think he is much better than Godden tbh alebit younger

Best striker I saw ay Boro last year. He was outstanding aganst us. Ran the defence ragged.

• Like 3
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?