oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

For me a rebuild means that a promotion challenge might be a two year project. If we're changing the majority of the team then its probably going to take half of next season to get the team gelled. Is everyone happy with that and will Wilder get time and patience if we start next season slowly? 

Also, do you think Gibson and Scott will have a long term plan for when Wilder does eventually move on? If we are letting Wilder change most of the first team, will the long term plan keep with the Wilder philosophy so we don't need another rebuild in a couple of years time? Or is Gibson not looking beyond Wilder? 

I suspect the latter is probably the case which is how we've always operated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

For me a rebuild means that a promotion challenge might be a two year project. If we're changing the majority of the team then its probably going to take half of next season to get the team gelled. Is everyone happy with that and will Wilder get time and patience if we start next season slowly? 

Also, do you think Gibson and Scott will have a long term plan for when Wilder does eventually move on? If we are letting Wilder change most of the first team, will the long term plan keep with the Wilder philosophy so we don't need another rebuild in a couple of years time? Or is Gibson not looking beyond Wilder? 

I suspect the latter is probably the case which is how we've always operated.

Just do the AK project. 2.5 years then see if we implode in the premier league again 😂

5 minutes ago, pikerman said:

Whoever we bring in they must have the mental strength and”will to win” to play in the Championship. Too many times this season I have seen us panic and fold when games got tough, we need a couple of leaders to dig in and take back the initiative and I don’t mean just kick the opposition like Crooks tends to do

Nail on the head, Happened so often under Warnock & Wilder, We seem to go into panic mode & lose the heads completely.

Like us to go for likes of rothwell, Wallace, Laurent. Players like that, all like the ball on the deck and are all available on a free. Obviously know the league already aswell

Think it's a rebuild of the squad rather than the starting 11. It's clear that we started flagging with the sheer amount of games we played with the same 8 players in defence and midfield and Wilder didn't seem to trust anyone on the bench. I suspect we'll see those 7/8 starters stay largely the same with the strike-force and keeper changing but expecting a big overhaul to the options on the bench.

• Like 5

What do people think about McNair potentially playing the Howson role next season rather than us finding someone else to play that role?

In terms of outgoings, surely a Spence sale would mean that we wouldnt have to sell one of Fry, Tav or Jones? 

The club has set quite a high bar for themselves by saying a few times "best free agents market" so they could be heavily scrutinised if we don't pick up some good players. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

What do people think about McNair potentially playing the Howson role next season rather than us finding someone else to play that role?

In terms of outgoings, surely a Spence sale would mean that we wouldnt have to sell one of Fry, Tav or Jones? 

The club has set quite a high bar for themselves by saying a few times "best free agents market" so they could be heavily scrutinised if we don't pick up some good players. 

I don’t mind McNair trying to play the Howson role. The only issue i I have (could be just me) I think he tends to be indecisive at times. Holds on the ball abit too long and then tries to dribble it past the player last second and gets tackled. He will have to speed his thought process up for me if he was to fill in that role. But we certainly need a left footed centre back.

• Like 2

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chris-wilder-middlesbrough-players-keep-23900255

Wilder name checked certain players he wishes to keep: Jones, Paddy, Fry, McGree, Howson and Tav. 

Them 6 obviously not only ones he wishes to keep but should put to bed any idea floated on here over weekend that likes of Jones, Paddy, Fry or Tav might not be part of his long term plans. 

Does not mean they wont go if a good bid comes in.

Surprised he did not name check Dijksteel or Crooks mind.

He already spoken about the excellent attitude of likes of Bamba and Watmore so imagine them two along with Coburn will form part of the back up.

7 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chris-wilder-middlesbrough-players-keep-23900255

Wilder name checked certain players he wishes to keep: Jones, Paddy, Fry, McGree, Howson and Tav. 

Them 6 obviously not only ones he wishes to keep but should put to bed any idea floated on here over weekend that likes of Jones, Paddy, Fry or Tav might not be part of his long term plans. 

Does not mean they wont go if a good bid comes in.

Surprised he did not name check Dijksteel or Crooks mind.

He already spoken about the excellent attitude of likes of Bamba and Watmore so imagine them two along with Coburn will form part of the back up.

I think, as someone else has pointed out in the thread, these 6 are players who he both wants to keep and he thinks haven't been as good as they could've been. He's been very complimentary about Dijksteel in particular, so it would massively surprise me if he wasn't part of our long term plans, especially with him being almost built for Wilder's system.

1 minute ago, Will said:

I think, as someone else has pointed out in the thread, these 6 are players who he both wants to keep and he thinks haven't been as good as they could've been. He's been very complimentary about Dijksteel in particular, so it would massively surprise me if he wasn't part of our long term plans, especially with him being almost built for Wilder's system.

I hope so.

12 hours ago, Blanco said:

I find it bizarre that people think we can get 15m for Spence and only 8m for Tav. I think that Spence is a decent player but he is nowhere near as good as Tav. If Spence is 15m then Tav is 20m+ 

I would be beyond disappointed if Tav was to go for less money than Spence 

Spence is light years ahead of Tav. Tav is 7m-10m tops imo. If Tav wasn’t from the Boro academy, I’m not sure people would look at him the same. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A big problem we’ve had aswell when playing dijksteel, McNair and fry is they offer zero threat from set pieces. Alan knill is known in football circles as a master of them and he can’t even make us a threat 

I would be worried and surprised if we sold Dijksteele. He is for me our player of the year. So comfortable and safe when defending. I’d rather have him on the right hand side as he offers protection for jones when he’s going forward and I don’t think I can think of a better and realistic player for us right now to replace him with. 

If we were to keep hold of Tav, I’d like to see him play as a LWB and make that position his own. He can defend, he can put a cross in and I don’t think you’re as reliant on him in attack to make moments of magic. I could see him forging a great partnership with McGree. 

??

dijksteele Fry ?? 
Jones ?? McNair McGree Tav 

?? ?? 

For me that is a good core of the squad as starters. I think Howson should have a new role in shutting games out for next year personally. 

2 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

A big problem we’ve had aswell when playing dijksteel, McNair and fry is they offer zero threat from set pieces. Alan knill is known in football circles as a master of them and he can’t even make us a threat 

This is a major frustration for me we look weak in both boxes from set pieces. Crooks seems to be our only threat and he's not even a particularly good header. If you're playing possession football you're going to get a large number of set pieces. City and Liverpool are the top of the set piece scoring charts, they get the most opportunities and make the most of them.

I remember the Huddersfield game we seemed to have about 20 corners and free kicks and didn't come close to threatening, they had far fewer and looked dangerous from each of them.

At minimum we need a striker or 2 that can help us out in both boxes and a LCB who is dominant in the air. Fry is decent enough defending balls in but can't seem to get on the end of them in the oppositions box.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?