oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, "KM" said:

I think we’ll end up signing Ben Gibson. Wouldn’t go anywhere near Clark after he turned us down in January. 

I’m glad he did. He’s horrific. 

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Ross Sykes was a CB we were linked with in March/April. I think that we might go for him now we're in the Championship next season.

According to WhoScored

image.png.ab964a7bab595a063aab1913735b7c90.png

He's had two red cards and 12 yellows last season so he'll be sharing a room with Crooks. Weak at passing and liking to play long balls sounds like the opposite of an attacking centre back though he does have 3 goals and 4 assists. Might be a reasonable understudy to Fry.

For interest sake, Ben Gibson

image.png.3e2ff187b02e585a9f8ee34e8802fa1b.png

If the site is to be believed, Gibson is weak defensively but is good at passing. Not sure we need yet another defender who can't tackle or head the ball.

• Like 1

It's a big No from me to Clark and Gibson. Clark is to defending what Connolly is to attacking. albeit without the off field pantomime. He is a liability and by October we would be sat with our heads in our hands watching him provide opponents with gilt edged chances. I'm astonished how at this stage of his career he is registered to a Premiership side, I'd put him at middling to poor League One level at the most.

Gibson has gone downhill rapidly since leaving. The Burnley farce with Dyche and Training Ground bust up set him back badly. Two of my workmates are Norwich season card holders and when I mooted that he might have been at the Riverside a few weeks back they pleaded to please keep him or at least slash his tyres, anything to stop him getting back to Carrow Road. Have to admit that the odd games that I have seen him play for Norwich this season he is a shadow of the CB that he was for us a few years back.

There is of course always the chance that Gibson could come back and rediscover his form but the reality is far more likely that the confident, shouty and demanding CB that we all knew and loved has lost his mojo and isn't going to suddenly rediscover it. Another key point and probably the less emotive and therefore more sobering one is that he was playing in a defensively minded Karanka team for us that had a defensive midfield shield in front of him. I suspect that Wilder's methodology will leave him horribly exposed and continue to be the Norwich version rather than the Karanka version of Gibson. If he wasn't an old boy we wouldn't remotely consider him as suitable.

On Darlow I'm a bit whatever. He isn't what I would hope for but he is better than Daniels and Lumley and if he doesn't cost too much then I'd rather we spent the money on outfield players. If we are to be a dominant winning side next season then the Keeper shouldn't have too much to do in any case. We have a huge shopping list, we need a LCB ,a LWB and three Strikers as a priority then a few tweaks for the midfield and back ups elsewhere in the squad which will be at least 50% possibly 60% turnover of Squad Players by the time we are finished, and that's not allowing for outgoings of preferred Players that we would like to keep but can't turn down serious offers for.

• Like 3

There seems to be a recurring issue on here of players being judged as not good enough because they've not produced in the premier league. Were not signing players for the premier league, we're signing them for the championship. Theyre actual worlds apart right now. 

Look at the fulham, Norwich, Watford teams who dominate down here then go up and get overrun. It's not a fair comparison. 

Gibson is easily a top 5 CB in the championship when they come back down, just like darlow is a top 5 keeper. 

• Like 14

And another thing - people should stop putting so much stock in what opposition fans are saying about their players. 

This time last year 75% of our fanbase were ready to drive Spence to any club - "packet of crisps" became synonymous with him. Tav would have been out the door in October if a lot of people on here had their way.

• Like 11
4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

There seems to be a recurring issue on here of players being judged as not good enough because they've not produced in the premier league. Were not signing players for the premier league, we're signing them for the championship. Theyre actual worlds apart right now. 

Agreed. Whoever we buy is going to be flawed because otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford them. They will either have failed at their last club or be untested at this level or are coming to the end of a contract and are looking for higher wages as we wouldn't be paying a transfer fee.  

To be honest, I find it hard to believe that we would be able to afford Gibson's likely wages. He is supposedly on £40k/week and is highly unlikely to take a pay cut to move. Ironically, if Norwich had stayed up, they might have looked to loan him out to recover some wages.

Darlow is supposed to be on £25k and we might just be able to persuade him to drop to £20k with a promotion bonus. I could see us doing a loan with obligation to buy deal for him where we pay half his wages for the season. Newcastle don't really need the money, they just need to scrape off the crud.

I do think that we will have a very unglamorous window. I don't see any Payero, Sporar or Lea Siliki style signings or attempts to bring the likes of Muniz in. I'm expecting a couple of Premier league loans, 2-3 experienced pros who have bounced between the Premier league and Championship, and 2-3 players with 1-2 good seasons in the championship or league 1 under their belts.

19 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

And another thing - people should stop putting so much stock in what opposition fans are saying about their players. 

This time last year 75% of our fanbase were ready to drive Spence to any club - "packet of crisps" became synonymous with him. Tav would have been out the door in October if a lot of people on here had their way.

Clark will be 33 at the start of this season, hardly comparable to Tav or Spence starting their senior careers unless he's a late bloomer? 

Fans who watch their team week in week out are far better informed than desperate fans watching YouTube clips or highlights with Lineker showing 5 minute snippets now and then. Tav has improved, so has Spence, even Conolly might improve somewhere at some future point, it doesn't make Brighton and Boro fans wrong right here right now.

Chris Brunt and James Morrison went on to have careers far better than MFC probably thought they would, likewise Traore and even the likes of Zenden resurrected their careers here but none were in the twilight of their careers. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

There’s been a change in transfer window rules for this year it’s not like previous windows.

you can sign anyone at any time, you just cant have them registered as a player until the window is opened. 

10 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I do think that we will have a very unglamorous window. I don't see any Payero, Sporar or Lea Siliki style signings or attempts to bring the likes of Muniz in. I'm expecting a couple of Premier league loans, 2-3 experienced pros who have bounced between the Premier league and Championship, and 2-3 players with 1-2 good seasons in the championship or league 1 under their belts.

Heaven forbid we have a repeat of that window and the January one!

Sporar only looked reasonable at his very best before being dumped for two even poorer players. JLS was beyond incredulous and Payero hadn't done anything other than being South American. I would think that if we bag "a couple of Premier league loans, 2-3 experienced pros who have bounced between the Premier league and Championship, and 2-3 players with 1-2 good seasons in the championship or league 1 under their belts" that would be a successful window.

• Like 3

All of the above @Neverbefore is why I want to see the players in a Boro shirt before I will ultimately judge them. The thing is, I know for a fact that I will never see or understand a player at anywhere near the level of context I judge Boro players but that is what we essentially need to be able to do to judge if they'll be a good player for Boro. And I'd suggest whilst we can judge general ability and talents, particularly in more experienced players who you see more often throughout a season, there's no guarantee your judgement of a player at one club will reflect how they are at another. There is some level of circumstance that is involved in that, just see every good player Man United have bought over the last 5-10 years or plenty of pretty average players Fergie signed before that!

I do get excited by transfer business one way or another, one of my favourite things about football and following a club is watching the squad and team develop and change constantly. Obviously I love the exciting signings and I hate to see good players leave but even just generally, transfer season really helps to cleanse and refresh the palette and give you something different to look forward to next season. It's rarely the same from one window to the next, there's always different things to praise and criticise.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Rob said:

you can sign anyone at any time, you just cant have them registered as a player until the window is opened. 

And they can now sign for anyone else without any problems.

We sign someone one 1st May they are free to sign with anyone else until the 10th June. No transfer fee no breach of contract.

I think we'll sign 10-12 players.

We'll sign some free agents, there's an abundance of them this summer. We'll sign some permanents from abroad as mentioned by Wilder we're looking at Germany & Netherlands. We'll sign some permanents from England, hopefully the Premier League & Championship but expecting 1-2 from lower leagues. Then we'll top it up with some Prem loans too.

McGree's his first permanent signing. It's hard to judge the January window as it's a difficult period and you're limited with what you can do. The summer was also difficult because we was trying to go in two different directions and Scott didn't really come in until September. We don't know how much, if any impact he had on that window. I know Warnock has said a few bits here and there but no one really knows. If he was involved he wouldn't have known who our next manager was going to be. I think it's unfair to judge Wilder or Scott on last summer or January. McGree is the first signing we can really judge them both on.

@Neverbefore took the words out of my mouth. When people are assessing players can you please remember “levels”. Being bang average to poor in PL does not mean you will not be good in championship. Please see likes of Randolph, Ayala, Leadbitter, Nugent etc.

The poster who claims Ciaran Clark is average to poor league 1 standard really needs to revisit his views. I am not advocating we sign Clark but the guy has been a professional footballer for 14 seasons. Of which 13 were in PL and 1 in the championship. That 1 in championship being a promotion winning season. Do you really think a guy who is “league 1 standard” would serve that long in PL if he has poor as you say.

Like I said at the start of my post. Just remember LEVELS. What level are you assessing the player on and then remember what level we are. Btw its the Championship where we are.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bruce said:

According to WhoScored

image.png.ab964a7bab595a063aab1913735b7c90.png

image.png.3e2ff187b02e585a9f8ee34e8802fa1b.png

I wouldn't trust those "strengths and weaknesses" things, aerial duels seems to be based on player height and players who play as sweepers always have "tackling" as a weakness like Van Dijk, Ruben Dias etc. Also those ratings are terrible at rating defenders as defending is all about positioning and work done off the ball it's incredibly difficult assess their values. Down to the point where they just add rating points to players with clean sheets which is a team effort rather than an individual rating. I trust Whoscored ratings for attackers but not for any other position.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?