oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

I think the pro with Gibson is he is still in his prime age wise and generally not been injury prone. I think he is also logical in that it's an area we need cover for and he wants to come back. The difference for me with him compared to Woody and Downing is he will be suited to us rather than bringing in for the sake of it. Despite Downings great season at West Ham, his age and the fact he probably wasn't wanted by Karanka made him more of a disappointment. Woodgate was on paper a great signing for a championship club but we knew his limitations due to his injury record.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I think the pro with Gibson is he is still in his prime age wise and generally not been injury prone. I think he is also logical in that it's an area we need cover for and he wants to come back. The difference for me with him compared to Woody and Downing is he will be suited to us rather than bringing in for the sake of it. Despite Downings great season at West Ham, his age and the fact he probably wasn't wanted by Karanka made him more of a disappointment. Woodgate was on paper a great signing for a championship club but we knew his limitations due to his injury record.

He could be our new Sol Bamba! 😁

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Gibson would absolutely smash it if he came back here, there's no doubt about it.

It's not like the Downing situation where we knew we weren't getting the same player back. Gibson has proved he's a superb defender at this level.

I dunno...it would all depend on what his favourite crisps are... 🤔

Also, what is it about playing in a different system that some people are failing to grasp? He could end up being another Peltier. Just because he was good for us once is NO guarantee he would be any good now under a different manager in a different set-up.

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Also, what is it about playing in a different system that some people are failing to grasp? He could end up being another Peltier. Just because he was good for us once is NO guarantee he would be any good now under a different manager in a different set-up.

What do you mean another Peltier? It seems like you're stating that as a negative?
Peltier was more than capable time and again whenever called upon this year.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
26 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

No guarantees but I’d still take Ravanelli if he was in his prime. 

4 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's a misinterpretation of what he was saying though.

"We’ve already spoken to some good players about coming and there are some good targets that we’ve got too. We won't get them all, but I’ll do my best to attract some really good players - and players with good attitudes as well. Attitude over ability because the mentality of the group is key for me now. The culture of the football club is key for me now."

He's not saying he wants players with a good attitude, regardless of their ability.

He's clearly wanting quality brought in, but I presume he'd sooner have a good player with a good attitude than a great player with a bad attitude.

It wasn't a misinterpretation of what he said, and that quote there isn't what he said originally either.  That was the more measured version written later I believe.  Originally he says attitude over ability a couple of times in a row for emphasis, and he also mentioned people running through brick walls for the club, and wanting to die for the club.  I don't think those comments are easily misinterpreted as they are pretty clear in their meaning.  Of course he's going to be looking to bring in good players though but we'll see what he believes is a good player, that's if it's him calling the shots on transfers.

Personally echo the sentiments of a few others RE: Gibson. I’d have him back if we were cashing in on Fry as it would free up that spot in the middle of the three. Not sure he’s capable of playing the overlap on the left of the three but happy to be proven wrong.

I think there’s a difference between being able to bring the ball out of the defence and being able to effectively support the attack. Dijksteel for example is effective at bringing the ball out but can also be dangerous in the final third as seen with his link up play with Crooks / Jones.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bruce said:

A quick scan of transfermarkt indicates that the top money paid for a centre back by a Championship club was around £1.5m for Ben Wilmot. I can't imagine us being willing to pay three times that for Gibson. I doubt anyone in the Championship is willing and able to stump up more than around £2m for him and I can't imagine Norwich selling him for less than £5m. (Obviously I may have missed someone.)

Even if he has had a 25% wage cut that still puts him on £30k/week which is something like 10K more than anyone else in the squad. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors about player wages but he would definitely be earning significantly more than anyone we currently have and paying, say, £5m for him would be enough to have bought all three of the most expensive CBs last season.

I agree that he would improve us but I don't think he improves us *enough* for that kind of outlay. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him move here; I think Wilder is looking for experienced pros and Gibson fits the bill. 

We paid more for Flint and McNair though so whatever anyone else does is less relevant than what we might be prepared to do, isn't it?  In fact, didn't we pay more for Dijksteel?  Who we attempt to sign is going to be dictated by our outgoing business not by players other teams have signed last season.  If we sell Spence for a decent figure, and say sell Fry for a decent figure, we'll be prepared to spend more than £1.5m on a replacement defender.  We were prepared to pay more than that for a midfielder in January without any big offloads so it would be odd if we suddenly changed tack when we are bringing money into the club.

• Like 2

I wonder what he meant by "attitude" in his original quote. Is he simply talking about players who "work 'ard", or is it more about players who have the right mentality to deal with tough situations?

I think it's hard to argue that there were a few times last season where the team just sh!t the bed. Sheff utd away and of course Preston on the last day come to mind. Perhaps he's stressing the importance of signing players who don't just have the talent, they are also able to stand up and be counted when the heat is on?

Thst would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

I wonder what he meant by "attitude" in his original quote. Is he simply talking about players who "work 'ard", or is it more about players who have the right mentality to deal with tough situations?

I think it's hard to argue that there were a few times last season where the team just sh!t the bed. Sheff utd away and of course Preston on the last day come to mind. Perhaps he's stressing the importance of signing players who don't just have the talent, they are also able to stand up and be counted when the heat is on?

Thst would be my guess.

I dunno.  I said in the Preston thread that I thought he was just saying things for effect really, things that the fans would lap up on the back of a disappointing finish to the season.  If you remember at the same time as that stuff he also said that there will be some surprises, and so far we aren't seeing/hearing anything like that.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Also, what is it about playing in a different system that some people are failing to grasp?

i don't think anybody is failing to grasp it, i cant speak for everyone else but personally i just don't see it as the issue you're making it out to be.
I mean, nobody in the squad had played Wilders system before he arrived with overlapping center back and the like and we had come off the back off 3 managers with hugely different styles. but the squad by and large took to the change in style pretty quickly, no reason to think Gibson wouldn't be able to aswell.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I dunno.  I said in the Preston thread that I thought he was just saying things for effect really, things that the fans would lap up on the back of a disappointing finish to the season.  If you remember at the same time as that stuff he also said that there will be some surprises, and so far we aren't seeing/hearing anything like that.

Early days, windows not even open yet

As I recall there was talk on the forum that Gibson didn’t really want to go? That It was more about us and FFP, we needed him to go. Given the relationship with SG, I wonder if Ben was promised that once we were over that period, if there was an opportunity, we would try to get him back.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

As I recall there was talk on the forum that Gibson didn’t really want to go? That It was more about us and FFP, we needed him to go. Given the relationship with SG, I wonder if Ben was promised that once we were over that period, if there was an opportunity, we would try to get him back.

I heard something different but I'm not connected like others so it could be complete crap  He could have gone following relegation but we asked him to give us another year with the agreement that he could leave after that if we didn't go back up 🤷‍♂️ I don't think Burnley would have been his original choice of club however.

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?