oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

2 minutes ago, JTG said:

I'm not asking the club to go and spend 20m on any one player, but I don't see the problem in the club taking a few calculated risks, e.g. Greaves at Hull.

Asking price is apparently £5-7m. Harry Darling went from MK Dons to Swansea for about £2m this window and although he was highly rated he's also right footed, a year older than Greaves, and never played at a level above league 1. Therefore in my mind, I don't think Hull's asking price is that far off the going rate for a young, left footed English CB and if we can do a bit of clever haggling over add-ons I think its a deal worth doing.

It's a sensible deal. 

£4m-£5m upfront with some add-ons for promotion it's a no brainer. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Yeah because everything else was great..

You responded to a quality striker post - now you want to include other areas of the pitch to back up your assertion that it is more than strikers at fault- right ok….

1 minute ago, Robin Johnson said:

You responded to a quality striker post - now you want to include other areas of the pitch to back up your assertion that it is more than strikers at fault- right ok….

I said we have been promoted once in 13 years, which is a fact in a time when we have spent tens of millions on strikers. This idea that throwing money on strikers gets you promoted is just false 

2 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I said we have been promoted once in 13 years, which is a fact in a time when we have spent tens of millions on strikers. This idea that throwing money on strikers gets you promoted is just false 

And haven’t I acknowledged our buying policy has been abysmal and lessons surely have been Leary? Cherry picking to try and prove a point - a point I have recognised. So what your point is Gawd knows.

Assombalonga wasn’t that bad for us.  He got 15 goals, then 14 goals, in effectively two thirds of a season each time.  The 14 goals came in a season when the whole team only scored 49, and our second top scorer managed 6.  Given a full season of minutes each time he’d have been in around 20 a season.  

I think it’s always worth trying to put things into a little context.  So for example, we often hear about Brentford and Norwich on here, and players like Maupay, Toney, Pukki etc.  They had the benefit of playing in far more attacking sides than Assombalonga.  He got about 2 shots per game in those two seasons.  Maupay, Pukki, Toney, all averaged over 3.  Armstrong averaged nearly 5 I think in his big season with Blackburn.  You can always blame or credit the player with not getting or getting chances of course but as a team we were usually behind those clubs in terms of shots per game.  I think in one season Brentford we’re having about 4 more shots per game than us! That’s 184 more than us over a season, it’s a lot. As another example of this, Brentford had 3 players with more shots per game than Assombalonga in the 2018/19 season.  

In actuality he was the 15th top scorer on the back of the 39th most shots at goal.  The previous season he was the 6th top scorer on the back of the 15th most shots at goal.  That’s not underperformance in my book.  What’s interesting to me is that when Armstrong’s shots per game came down to Assombalonga’s level, his goals came down to Assombalonga’s as well.  Sporar last season was at the same level of Assombalonga but only scored 8 goals as a comparison.  So don’t sign proven players because Assombalonga was rubbish maybe isn’t entirely accurate.  We as a team were poor in an attacking sense at least for the first few seasons.  His last season he was obviously a waste of space as he didn't want to be here and the feeling was mutual.

To bring this back to this window, one thing that makes me a little hopeful about Forss is the idea that he might not need so many shots to get his goals, if he is as good a finisher as claimed, or simply has the instincts to be in the right place at the right time more often than not.  Also, we should be a better attacking team overall than we were under say Pulis.  If we aren’t then something weird is going on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

And haven’t I acknowledged our buying policy has been abysmal and lessons surely have been Leary? Cherry picking to try and prove a point - a point I have recognised. So what your point is Gawd knows.

That this tedious ideal that we need to spend the earth to find a striker is naive and dangerous for a championship club. We must be the only non parachute payment recieving club who thinks this is a viable option 

1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

That this tedious ideal that we need to spend the earth to find a striker is naive and dangerous for a championship club. We must be the only non parachute payment recieving club who thinks this is a viable option 

No ones saying that though are they?

5 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Brentford spent a few quid without parachute payments…

7 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Leeds spent a few quid without parachute payments…

Hamza Choudhry not in Leicester squad for they pre season friendly. No suggestion of any injury. 

They have have a 12 man bench so you assume he would have been included as it appears the 1st team squad makes up todays matchday squad

• Like 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?