oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

There is no such thing in this league as "guaranteed goals", and we know this from spending over 20m on Assombalonga and Rhodes, two players who were labelled as "guaranteed goals" and ended up stinking our gaff out for years on big money.

As a football team we have rarely been set up to get the best out of our strikers. It has been hit and hope football for years. Asking players to just run the channels and get on the end of low % chances and create something for themselves. I genuinely believe no striker in world football would have broken 20 goals in any of our previous 6 seasons of football.

Forss and Hoppe are 2 young, hungry international footballers who both A) Have a point to prove B) Come at relatively low cost C) Could easily develop and become 15+ goal strikers in this league. I remind everybody; Ivan Toney was signed from Peterborough in League 1 and broke the goal scoring record.

Most importantly however is that our system now is set up to get our strikers to score goals. We have 2 wide men providing very good delivery and we (try our best) to play through the midfield whenever possible. You do not need to spend 30m on a pair of strikers to get out of this league. Pukki was free, struggled horribly at his last club, and absolutely blitzed it.

As a fanbase we need to collectively get over this deep-seated belief that unless a player comes with a massive price tag and whips his shirt over his head like Ravanelli that he is a poor deal. Welcome to modern football my friends.

• Like 31
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Boro Badger said:

Can’t see anything to suggest Hoppe is a better prospect than Coburn, but in Boro we trust

Set me wondering, with all the talk of the likely fee for Hoppe, how much would we expect if we put Coburn up for sale? Obviously his fee would be based on his potential, not experience to date. His goal against Spurs would show him in a good light and Wilder is talking his prospects up. 

So how much is he worth as a prospect?

34 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Wouldn't worry too much you have to remember that any striker we sign always regresses in ability once they play for us though hopefully that trend will go in the opposite direction one day😉

My problem is I worry far too much. I spend absolute fortunes travelling to watch the Boro at home and away.  I learned to moderate my expectations and hope over the last 14 yrs. Wilder’s comments and the hope and expectation that came with the change in structure made me let my guard down. The signings of Giles, Lenihan et al were a great start and the sale of Spence pleasing. 

However, since we have been concentrating on strikers, the early season talk of Archer, Muniz, Riis, Gyokeres, Armstrong had me filled with joy. The reality since has me feeling like I have lost a £50 note and found a 5p. The sale of Tav hasn’t helped. My early season hope and expectation has faded to worse than the 2 season seasons we brought in the likes of Jason Euell, Dong Gook Lee, Mido and Aliadiere etc. I am hoping beyond hope my fears come to nought, but I have had too many false dawns. 

Creativity from the flanks is great, but we have created opportunities regularly since 2017/18 but the quality to finish has been lacking. The club and several managers have talked of the need for clinical strikers. My biggest worry is the group of 22/23 does not as yet offer promise that the drought is likely to end.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Set me wondering, with all the talk of the likely fee for Hoppe, how much would we expect if we put Coburn up for sale? Obviously his fee would be based on his potential, not experience to date. His goal against Spurs would show him in a good light and Wilder is talking his prospects up. 

So how much is he worth as a prospect?

For me? Not much tbh…. We’ve seen glimpses and some decent goals but he’s yet to have a run of games. I mean he’s not even gone out on loan yet, he needs to be tested at a decent level before we can judge him properly

• Like 2

Watching the video Hoppe looks like he could well be the perfect foil for Forss, good feet, composed and can lay the ball off under pressure. Can't wait until they're up to speed.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I'm hoping we've bought our backup strikers and there's some money left for a goal scorer with more of a proven record. 

I'm hoping for this more than believing it. Seems like we went for Hoppe immediately after the Larsen deal went cold. If we loan Muniz that could be us done for forwards. We need our funds to spread for a LCB and two midfielders as well.

I still think we'll gamble on loaning Armstrong if the opportunity arises but its not looking likely. 

• Sad 1
28 minutes ago, Boro Badger said:

Can’t see anything to suggest Hoppe is a better prospect than Coburn, but in Boro we trust

Hey good to see you posting Paul are you at the match later on?

20 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

As a fanbase we need to collectively get over this deep-seated belief that unless a player comes with a massive price tag and whips his shirt over his head like Ravanelli that he is a poor deal. Welcome to modern football my friends.

I don't think anyone is asking the club to spend a ridiculously high fee on a player. I'm not against the signings we've made they are exactly what people have been calling out for for years, young players with potential to develop.

However, while its good to have players for the future we also need to have players who can come in and hit the ground running, if we want to get promoted we need at least one striker who can lead the line and take chances. 

When I look at Hoppe's career so far it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he'll be a prolific goalscorer, both him and Forss seem to me to be low risk gambles. I'm not calling for us to spend 25m on Gyokeres because that would be reckless but I'm still hoping for something in the middle of those two extremes. 

The signings we've made so far are good but I think we need someone with a bit more pedigree, I know that's not easy for the club but I'm not sure that we're much more further on than last season in the striking department. 

Quite excited about Hoppe, to be honest. Definitely has something to prove after last year, hopefully he does well enough for us to go off to the WC.

His time in Spain seems to completely mirror Payero’s time with us. Young lad, doesn’t speak the language, injures, two managers who overlook him because of high-performing people in the same position and being hindered by the language barrier. Even down to Mallorca *almost* getting their money back after they pack him off after a year to a club in a country where they speak his language nativity. 

Edited by KeithLambsFaxMachine
  • Like 4
14 hours ago, chickenlunch said:

Wow I'd forgotten all about Lee Dong-Gook!! selective memory loss perhaps. He was so comically bad... I felt sorry for him in the end.

I was a little young for Dibble but he definitely sticks out in my mind for us getting a 4-0 drubbing against Forest in the 97-98 season

My brain keeps erasing Andy Dibble from my memory! I only ever remember him when other people mention him.

14 hours ago, Mr_Maz said:

At least no one's mentioned Neil Bausor... 

I don't think Bausor was ever signed. Gibson just found him curled up by the front door one morning, took pity on him and let him in. Just hasn't had the heart to get rid of him since.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?