oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

However, what does it say about our new recruitment model when we're into the 14th week of a 17-week transfer window, and our squad is so thin that we're having to rely on Neil Warnock's "number one target" - a player Wilder didn't even deem worthy of a squad number a fortnight ago?

That Top 6 is not looking good bruv, it's not looking good...

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He may have had a better chance with his left, but IIRC Dieng was basically on top of him by the time it got to him anyway, it was always going to be difficult and I don't think it's particularly fair to beat him with that stick.

Im not trying to use as a stick to beat him with, it was purely an observation which for me highlights a lack of predatory instinct that is required in front of goal.  He managed to get in front of the defender with his right foot when he was running onto a ball that came from his left, that resulted in a shot that went wide by quite a bit, regardless of the keepers position when the easier and correct option was to use his left. 
He looks to be great for link up play, but we cant rely on him to get many goals with that kind of decision making and I dont think the lack of preseason has much of a bearing on instinct.

3 minutes ago, DocMartin said:

They wont announce it till the work permit is obtained would be my guess.

Ah yes, I forgot about that 

We could really use a midfielder signed this week .. and a LCB 

If we had just spent £2-3m on Akpom and he made his debut against Marseille, we would be really excited by him and looking forwards to him getting up to full fitness and used to the system of play.

He may not be the best striker we've ever signed but he does look well suited to Wilderball. He also seems to have a habit of fading out after a good start but if he can keep this level of performance up and, ideally, improve then he's going to be a decent option for us.

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, TheJew said:

He is hopeless upfront. Movement rubbish and doesn't understand offside rule from a forward position.

An absolute waste of a position  playing Crooks up top.

My meaning probably distracted come across properly in this. I know I've said I see him more as a 2nd striker, but the main sentiment was in the "he needs three more midfielders". So in order for me to trust him we need to play 4 in midfield with him being the most advanced, meaning we only play 1 striker, which i don't like.

If he's coming over for a medical and to sign wouldn't the work permit already been sorted?  We could've applied for it while we were talking over the finer details of the deal.

About a month before we signed Rochemback there was somebody on FMTTM who said that a work permit application had been submitted from us for him.  Nobody believed them and took no notice until the club announced his signing and said that his permit had already been granted.

30 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I do think it's clear that Wilder is desperate for a physically imposing taller striker the way he tried to shoe horn Crooks in.

I’m amazed Uche is not with the group , even if it’s to get him fit 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

It's a good thing we made sure that Akpom wasn't with the squad for the whole of pre season. Well done Wilder👌 Some class man management going on this summer.

I was thinking this. But also wonder if the reaction from Akpom is a result of this. We will never know whether it was a bad decision or good decision. All we know is he's here now and if he carries on putting in the same effort then he is a really good option 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Hendrie_7 said:

If he's coming over for a medical and to sign wouldn't the work permit already been sorted?  We could've applied for it while we were talking over the finer details of the deal.

About a month before we signed Rochemback there was somebody on FMTTM who said that a work permit application had been submitted from us for him.  Nobody believed them and took no notice until the club announced his signing and said that his permit had already been granted.

Sadly I couldn't imagine the club being as forward thinking as that these days. The application for the permit is probably still sat in someone's outbox.

Feel proper grumpy with such little action following the "buzz" that was building early on in the summer. When do season tickets renew again ha ha?

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Bruce said:

If we had just spent £2-3m on Akpom and he made his debut against Marseille, we would be really excited by him and looking forwards to him getting up to full fitness and used to the system of play.

He may not be the best striker we've ever signed but he does look well suited to Wilderball. He also seems to have a habit of fading out after a good start but if he can keep this level of performance up and, ideally, improve then he's going to be a decent option for us.

Perfectly put 

• Like 3

The biggest thing from the Akpom side of things is that Wilder is obviously concerned about his fitness levels but also didn't want him as part of the group until the week of the Marseille game.

Maybe Akpom also didn't want to be part of the group and wanted a move elsewhere and it hasn't materialised but if Akpom has shown enough in 2 games as an unfit player that he has something to offer Wilder then it begs the question why Wilder didn't want him around before that. Did he not properly assess the qualities he had? I mean, it's still early days and 2 games doesn't change what has otherwise been a poor Boro career so far from Chuba but it's a little concerning if Wilder is willing to push on wanting to do deals without fully understanding the depth of the players contracted to the club.

What really matters now of course is if he does now see something of value in him that he doesn't double down and he does welcome him into the group. Things change all the time in football and that's okay. But Akpom's lack of match fitness seemingly lands on the manager's door so with the benefit of hindsight, it looks like a poor decision to have kept him out in the cold for so long. Fingers crossed we don't have any more situations like this and that Chuba goes from strength to strength.

• Like 2

no need to panic after one defeat. it was away at a play off pushing team. we went 3-0 down and still were not out of the game. we are a good side. once the team buck up their ideas and the new lads come in i expect lots of W's. 

• Like 5
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?