oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The biggest thing from the Akpom side of things is that Wilder is obviously concerned about his fitness levels but also didn't want him as part of the group until the week of the Marseille game.

Maybe Akpom also didn't want to be part of the group and wanted a move elsewhere and it hasn't materialised but if Akpom has shown enough in 2 games as an unfit player that he has something to offer Wilder then it begs the question why Wilder didn't want him around before that. Did he not properly assess the qualities he had? I mean, it's still early days and 2 games doesn't change what has otherwise been a poor Boro career so far from Chuba but it's a little concerning if Wilder is willing to push on wanting to do deals without fully understanding the depth of the players contracted to the club.

What really matters now of course is if he does now see something of value in him that he doesn't double down and he does welcome him into the group. Things change all the time in football and that's okay. But Akpom's lack of match fitness seemingly lands on the manager's door so with the benefit of hindsight, it looks like a poor decision to have kept him out in the cold for so long. Fingers crossed we don't have any more situations like this and that Chuba goes from strength to strength.

There are murmerings that akpom is on 20k plus a week. Maybe wilder was told that he is being let go regardless because that wage is unsustainable but the move hasn't materialised so he's been given the go ahead to use him. 

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

Realistically how many new signings do we expect this week. I’m saying just the 1, being Hoppe. Really hope I’m wrong, cause Sheffield united be really tough with the current squad.

• Like 1

With Akpom, maybe he wanted away after being trashed for past two years, and club were happy for him to leave but no offers have come in. Wilder has been told he can't replace him until his wages were off the balance sheet so has been pragmatic and decided to use him. I've read before he was on 26k/w which wouldn't surprise me with boro. He was signed as our star striker after all. 

3 minutes ago, Beep said:

With Akpom, maybe he wanted away after being trashed for past two years, and club were happy for him to leave but no offers have come in. Wilder has been told he can't replace him until his wages were off the balance sheet so has been pragmatic and decided to use him. I've read before he was on 26k/w which wouldn't surprise me with boro. He was signed as our star striker after all. 

he's not on that much. 

he was on similar to Hall according to a few, c16k/week

5 minutes ago, Guffie said:

Realistically how many new signings do we expect this week. I’m saying just the 1, being Hoppe. Really hope I’m wrong, cause Sheffield united be really tough with the current squad.

Based on absolutely nothing, I'm going to go:

Muniz - Wednesday

Hoppe - Thursday 

Hannibal - Friday 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

There are murmerings that akpom is on 20k plus a week. Maybe wilder was told that he is being let go regardless because that wage is unsustainable but the move hasn't materialised so he's been given the go ahead to use him. 

You can do that without making a player train on their own. It just smells like rank poor man management from Boro. It's the same with Uche. It doesn't paint the club in a pretty picture. They've done nothing wrong yet they are treated like lepers by Wilder and the club.

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, Guffie said:

Only Hoppe this week then the last 2 weeks of the window will be manic

• Like 1

We should use players on the squad whether we have plans for them or not. Especially in the first games. Akpom scores 2 in the cup, another on Saturday and maybe another in one of the next two games. Suddenly he looks prolific and causes teams to have a look at him. Sitting out of the squad and training on his own is never good if you want to move a guy on 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

he's not on that much. 

he was on similar to Hall according to a few, c16k/week

Fair enough. Cant remember where I read it, but it was definitely saying over 20. Probably just guessing like the rest ofus though. 

8 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You can do that without making a player train on their own. It just smells like rank poor man management from Boro. It's the same with Uche. It doesn't paint the club in a pretty picture. They've done nothing wrong yet they are treated like lepers by Wilder and the club.

I disagree. Part of the pre-season is to build the team bond. If you have people who aren't wanted, they most likely won't really be the happiest campers around the rest of the team. That makes them slightly toxic, I'd guess.

I would think that Akpom was very much hoping for a move, as were the club (big wages for a player who isn't in your plans). From Chuba's point of view, his only time playing here was for a manager who didn't play a game which suits him. If moves fell through, then maybe it started to make more sense to bring him in for a short while to build up numbers. After all, he's more likely to play than Uche.

Does seem like our recruitment was maybe more forward thinking in selecting him than we've been giving them credit for.

• Like 1

Prediction for the Week: Hoppe and a midfielder on loan.

Feel we need 6-7 signings to compete and have enough depth for January.

LCB, CDM, RCM, ST, ST, ST at a minimum.

Ideally another LCM and a creative wide player to rotate with Giles & Jones.

Personally, I'd move Bola & Watmore on if we get offers of 500k-£1m.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't know whether I'd be shocked or not to hear Akpom is on that much. Shocked because I'd be surprised we spent that much at that time on a single player's wages but also not that surprised because this club has wasted all kinds of money on wages.

I don't get the feeling Wilder would have taken one less player on his pre-season because he had higher wages, though, if he thought he was a good player, particularly given the striker shortage. I can't see the club being very bothered about one year of a £20k deal either (so much as to block Wilder from using him), it's entirely dependent on whether we could actually sign better for less than the £1m in wages we would have committed to that player and that £1m was unlikely to be recouped entirely because who else would pay £20k a week for him? We'd be paying some of that and it would likely have been another loan deal.

I very much believe Wilder didn't want him here and it's only as the window has continued to move at a snail's pace that he saw fit to bring him back into the fold. I don't think many Boro fans would have wanted Akpom to stay either so it's hardly a surprising situation that the manager wouldn't, it's just I'd expect the manager who is paid to get the best out of our squad not to dismiss a player he's ultimately never seen anything of in training, especially when he's under contract. Now it seems like he sees some value in him. Perhaps it's not his perfect striker but he's contracted at the club and at a time when we've struggled for forwards, a full pre-season could perhaps have helped us start the season better.

In a perfect world, Wilder would have had his other targets in and Akpom would be gone but you know, baby and bathwater and all that. Feel like that's one of my favourite phrases at this point.

• Like 2

I just don't think we can criticise the man management here without being privvy to the conversations behind the scenes. You don't know if those players have made the decision to not train with the side. It does now seem like an error not to have him involved earlier, but that's with hindsight and without the benefit of the full story. so... Just one of those things for me, no one should be getting particular criticism for it. 

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Guffie said:

A thumping from Sheffield United would really send the fanbase into meltdown 😬

• Haha 2
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?