oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Hoppe feels like a bit of a punt and a project. I know next to nothing about him so can't have a firm opinion on him either way. I'm sure a lot of research will have gone into the signing behind the scenes, but he feels a risky signing compared to someone more proven in the Championship like Forss.

Going by Hoppe's profile: 6 foot 3, hard working and technically decent on the ball, he has a similar base to Gyokeres for us to build from. Obviously there's going to be an adjustment period and isn't at his level, but he feels like a "project" Gyokeres for us to try to develop our own. We really need a battering ram type of striker like that so I can see the logic in that element of it. We've made changes behind the scenes with a new auditorium for player feedback and Wilder has recently spoken about him being prepared to teach players, so it sounds like the environment behind the scenes is starting to improve for players to develop in. Hopefully that proves to be the case anyway and isn't just PR fluff and another false dawn.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 2
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Hoyte for Luke Young was the worst of the lot. 

Yak was desperate to go and we offered Viduka far too much. 

Completely echo this.

Justin hoyte came with so much potential but never delivered. I was soo disapointed! 

Spence will be the new Hoyte imo

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, mendieta420 said:

Alves did well until we sold his playmaker and friend (Rochemback) and replaced him with the crock Digard.

I wouldn't say well but he looked like he could grow into a decent player in a few games at the end of his first season and the start of the next but he then went into his shell and looked pretty awful

Granted the side wasn't great but he looked like a player who needed to be the big fish in a small pond and reportedly was more interested in chasing skirt in Yarm

I'm just glad that we seem to be laying some foundations for longer term success rather than going all in on expensive loan packages and putting massive pressure on ourselves to have to go up this season otherwise we've wasted the Tav and Spence money. We seem to be identifying the right kind of players at a good age who can develop with us.

Garry Monk deciding we needed to blow ~£30m of our parachute money on Assombalonga,Fletcher and Braithwaite. Even though we already had Bamford, Traore, Downing, Rhodes, Gestede etc is right up there in transfer disasters.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

At what stage do these guys stop being considered "projects" by people. They are already being written off as "the future", "needing time to settle" and "project gyokeres". 

It may well be that we have found our strikers. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an Armstrong or a larsen or a guaranteed goals (BTW, there is no such thing), but most of our goal scoring issues of recent years have come from lack of chances created. 

From what I've seen (presumably no where near as much as the scouting team etc) these two are both cool in front of goal, work hard and know how to get on the end of through balls and crosses. 

I firmly believe that if we create the chances then these two can score a lot of goals. 

We have signed two full international strikers. I hope we are all thinking at Christmas "I'm glad we didn't waste x amount of millions on (insert name)" given we are 6 points clear at the top and have two strikers both scoring for fun.

I'll grab my tin hat now for all those that can't live without a 6million + striker in the side.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

We did get a decent fee for Alves when we sold him. 7 m? Got nothing from Gestede though. 

Okay - £5m loss on Alves and a £6m loss on Gestede - still pretty equal there.

2 minutes ago, Tudders80 said:

At what stage do these guys stop being considered "projects" by people. They are already being written off as "the future", "needing time to settle" and "project gyokeres". 

It may well be that we have found our strikers. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an Armstrong or a larsen or a guaranteed goals (BTW, there is no such thing", but most of our goal scoring issues of recent years have come from lack of chances created. 

From what I've seen (presumably no where near as much as the scouting team etc) these two are both cool in front of goal, work hard and know how to get on the end of through balls and crosses. 

I firmly believe that if we create the chances then these two can score a lot of goals. 

We have signed two full international strikers. I hope we are all thinking at Christmas "I'm glad we didn't waste x amount of millions on (insert name)" given we are 6npoints clear against the top and have two strikers both scoring for fun.

I'll grab my tin hat now for all those that can't live without a 6million + striker in the side.

Not sure how goal scoring woes is due to lack of chances being created. It's the opposite to be fair. We create a lot and don't put them away. Wilder spoke about it early in pre-season.

1 hour ago, mendieta420 said:

Alves did well until we sold his playmaker and friend (Rochemback) and replaced him with the crock Digard.

Absolutely this. We sold the midfield supply. Alves would have scored more for us had we not done that, you just have to look at the goals he scored for us and particularly he got v Man U to see the service he wanted / thrived on - running through on goal - we sold all that type of service and he struggled as a result. He also scored free kicks. I think he gets a bad press because he cost £13m, not his fault we stupidly overpaid. If we’d paid what we should have (about £6-7m) he would be remembered more fondly.

I thought Digard was a very decent player but was made of glass sadly and never recovered from Cattermole shattering him into pieces.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2
23 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Completely echo this.

Justin hoyte came with so much potential but never delivered. I was soo disapointed! 

Spence will be the new Hoyte imo

House had a lot of hype but had a poor loan spell with Sunderland before he signed for us.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Is Fisher still on our books?

Seem to be clueless about him so thought I would ask

Yes, he's still injured, they don't expect him to be fit until December or beyond.

6 minutes ago, TheHolgate said:

Not sure how goal scoring woes is due to lack of chances being created. It's the opposite to be fair. We create a lot and don't put them away. Wilder spoke about it early in pre-season.

Going back to last season, we could only create chances down the right hand side. We were decent with the ball up to the final third but didn't create loads of clear cut chances compared to other teams.

I reckon we create a lot more with Giles as an outlet, which in turn creates more space for Jones, this season.

I'd say the likes of Balogun and Connolly would even get 8+ goals each this season, purely based on the different way the opposition will have to play to contain our wide attacking threat now.

Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Yes, he's still injured, they don't expect him to be fit until December or beyond.

Thanks seems as if he is seeing out his contract by never playing for us again

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?