oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

One kid I'd be quite happy to bring in on loan for one of the midfield spots is tyrese francois from fulham. He hasn't played a great deal but did play against us last year and did well. 

Not a big lad but positional sense is good, breaks up play, decent passer and is Australian so may already have a mate here (mcgree, I have no clue if they even know each other to be fair). 

Seems the kind of player we need. And is left footed. Shouldn't cost a lot in loan fee if available. Just a thought. 

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't know whether I'd be shocked or not to hear Akpom is on that much. Shocked because I'd be surprised we spent that much at that time on a single player's wages but also not that surprised because this club has wasted all kinds of money on wages.

I don't get the feeling Wilder would have taken one less player on his pre-season because he had higher wages, though, if he thought he was a good player, particularly given the striker shortage. I can't see the club being very bothered about one year of a £20k deal either (so much as to block Wilder from using him), it's entirely dependent on whether we could actually sign better for less than the £1m in wages we would have committed to that player and that £1m was unlikely to be recouped entirely because who else would pay £20k a week for him? We'd be paying some of that and it would likely have been another loan deal.

I very much believe Wilder didn't want him here and it's only as the window has continued to move at a snail's pace that he saw fit to bring him back into the fold. I don't think many Boro fans would have wanted Akpom to stay either so it's hardly a surprising situation that the manager wouldn't, it's just I'd expect the manager who is paid to get the best out of our squad not to dismiss a player he's ultimately never seen anything of in training, especially when he's under contract. Now it seems like he sees some value in him. Perhaps it's not his perfect striker but he's contracted at the club and at a time when we've struggled for forwards, a full pre-season could perhaps have helped us start the season better.

In a perfect world, Wilder would have had his other targets in and Akpom would be gone but you know, baby and bathwater and all that. Feel like that's one of my favourite phrases at this point.

It could be a club policy. Player’s we have wanted out in the past have been made to train on their own regardless of who the manager is

7 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

A thumping from Sheffield United would really send the fanbase into meltdown 😬

I think it'd still be roughly a 50/50 split.

Half going into total meltdown and half saying it was another tough game against promotion rivals. 

Or maybe a 66/33 split, if the matchday poll is anything to go by... 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I just don't think we can criticise the man management here without being privvy to the conversations behind the scenes. You don't know if those players have made the decision to not train with the side. It does now seem like an error not to have him involved earlier, but that's with hindsight and without the benefit of the full story. so... Just one of those things for me, no one should be getting particular criticism for it. 

We aren't ever privy to enough information to make clear-cut judgements, we're presented perspectives and judge based on what we know, what we hear and see. What we know is Akpom wasn't involved in the full pre-season and what we see now is that he's here, playing for the first team after only one pre-season outing. What we hear is Akpom was out in the cold, the manager himself has said that. And what we see and hear now is a player is seemingly a decent fit for us was already at the club and was only brought into pre-season at a later date and now the manager is talking about his lack of fitness in his interviews. So naturally, everyone is going to ask the question why he wasn't involved sooner if that's a problem the manager is presenting.

The problem is the player isn't fit and he wasn't involved in pre-season to get fit. The idea the manager has nothing to do with pre-emptively solving that seems fanciful to me and it will to a lot of other people too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't know whether I'd be shocked or not to hear Akpom is on that much. Shocked because I'd be surprised we spent that much at that time on a single player's wages but also not that surprised because this club has wasted all kinds of money on wages.

I don't get the feeling Wilder would have taken one less player on his pre-season because he had higher wages, though, if he thought he was a good player, particularly given the striker shortage. I can't see the club being very bothered about one year of a £20k deal either (so much as to block Wilder from using him), it's entirely dependent on whether we could actually sign better for less than the £1m in wages we would have committed to that player and that £1m was unlikely to be recouped entirely because who else would pay £20k a week for him? We'd be paying some of that and it would likely have been another loan deal.

I very much believe Wilder didn't want him here and it's only as the window has continued to move at a snail's pace that he saw fit to bring him back into the fold. I don't think many Boro fans would have wanted Akpom to stay either so it's hardly a surprising situation that the manager wouldn't, it's just I'd expect the manager who is paid to get the best out of our squad not to dismiss a player he's ultimately never seen anything of in training, especially when he's under contract. Now it seems like he sees some value in him. Perhaps it's not his perfect striker but he's contracted at the club and at a time when we've struggled for forwards, a full pre-season could perhaps have helped us start the season better.

In a perfect world, Wilder would have had his other targets in and Akpom would be gone but you know, baby and bathwater and all that. Feel like that's one of my favourite phrases at this point.

yeah I think though if he keeping akpom whats the odds he has to get rid of watmore in his place, I think this maybe why the watmore out rumours have been starting up around the same time

Out of genuine curiosity, why is everybody so hung up on Greaves this window?

I've never seen the lad play and have no idea how good he is. I've seen he's had 1 full season in the Championship playing with Hull. Is he really that good? Some of the numbers being thrown around for his name seem very, very steep.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Pork Slops said:
5 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Source?

Think he's just holding talks...?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/20607576.middlesbrough-hull-holding-new-contract-talks-jacob-greaves/

But he's had contract offers on the table most of the summer. The fact that this is news suggests that there is a reasonable shout that he'll sign this one.

Just now, Tom said:

But he's had contract offers on the table most of the summer. The fact that this is news suggests that there is a reasonable shout that he'll sign this one.

Not really, they're just new comments from the coach that they are reporting, doesn't mean anything has actually changed.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?