oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

12 hours ago, Foogle said:

But we can always tell Forest that if they won't match what the other teams are then he sits on our bench for a year whilst they fight to stay in the Prem. Don't think they have much leverage. 

You and I know that Wilder needs the Spence money to rebuild Boro team. If we know it, then Forest certainly do. It would become a game of bluff and counter bluff and all the while it dragged on, we could be missing out on potential signings who went elsewhere. They would miss Spence sure, but it is only one position for them to fill ( and for his fee they could probably find someone else perfectly adequate. For us it could mean 2 or 3 mainstays of next years team being much weaker , or not having to accept offers for someone. Just as one example, if there is a bidding war for Gyrokes the Spence money could make the difference between being able to offer both Coventry and him enough.

I really can’t see why they don’t have a good deal of leverage. I just  hope that the lure of the top teams attracts him more.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

It probably is best case for us if he stays at Forest. We can probably squeeze more money out of them if they’re desperate to skip the queue ahead of some of the bigger clubs.

Plus I think it works to our benefit as he can potentially make another step up to Arsenal/Spurs level in a few years time and we can capitalise on a healthy sell on %.

If he makes the Arsenal/Spurs move now, what are the odds of him ending up being world class and making yet another step up.

4 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

You and I know that Wilder needs the Spence money to rebuild Boro team. If we know it, then Forest certainly do. It would become a game of bluff and counter bluff and all the while it dragged on, we could be missing out on potential signings who went elsewhere. They would miss Spence sure, but it is only one position for them to fill ( and for his fee they could probably find someone else perfectly adequate. For us it could mean 2 or 3 mainstays of next years team being much weaker , or not having to accept offers for someone. Just as one example, if there is a bidding war for Gyrokes the Spence money could make the difference between being able to offer both Coventry and him enough.

I really can’t see why they don’t have a good deal of leverage. I just  hope that the lure of the top teams attracts him more.

I don't know. Wilder came in and presumably was offered some reasonable funds to rebuild his team, and that was in November, so before Spence really started making himself valuable. We also spent money on McGree in the winter, a player that we didn't even really need for the first team, and that again was before Spence was making big waves. I think regardless of selling Spence, we'll have a bit of cash to spend. 

16 minutes ago, Will said:

A bit of both on Spence, fundamentally I don't like losing good players. And make no mistake Spence is one of the better fullbacks in the league, even if I think we'll be keeping the better of our two RWBs. Even more so it annoys me losing players who we didn't actually see the best of, but I've accepted that the best thing for everyone involved is for him to move on. I just hope we can maximise what we get for him. 

I don't think he should go to a top 6 team, a Forest or a Brentford is the perfect move. I think he can get to that level with work, but he needs to play. Hopefully he's learnt that for himself and won't get blinded by the dollar signs that the likes of Spurs could give him.

Yeah that's brilliant assessment 👍

5 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Could have sworn it was Bausor handing out the medals yesterday too so I’m sure there was a positive interaction with Spence there too 

Yeah, he's on the EFL board now.

21 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You said Nottingham which is about 2.5 hours from London, its hardly a quick trip for a night out. I don't think Midlands clubs have an extra pull for location like London clubs do. 

The reason Spence wanted to leave was for football reasons, I'm sure he'd happily go to Newcastle or Leeds if they make a bid for him. 

I can see the London pull for some players but then we've just got to make sure we are a club challenging for promotion and then thats less of an issue. Things might be different if we got promoted but thats not an issue at the moment. 

Look at clubs who might have beaten us to signings over the last few years, they are generally clubs who have more money from parachute payments. At this level I think we are pretty attractive club to play for. 

you've just said that we have to be pushing for promotion to compete with close to London, that's my whole point, when the playing field is level we struggle. Iv never said that we can't overcome it, I just stated that we have to pay more to get players to come up here. Which historically has been true. Its commonly reported by our local papers and that of Newcastle that we face a bigger struggle to get players to come to the northeast.

I can't speak to how many times we've lost out to Nottingham to players as sadly im not privy to all our transfer dealings. But as i mentioned previously, it has been historically mentioned by people who are that its more difficult to get players to come up to the north east.

finally, on the points of distance, its only an hour and a half on the train to London for Nottingham, half the time is taken from Middlesbrough. Also, Nottingham is only 50 miles from Birmingham and 100 ish from London, the two biggest UK cities. I don't think its controversial to say that young players would rather move closer to the big cities instead of coming all the way up to Middlesbrough,  a small northern town that is geographically isolated in a historically deprived part of the UK. Especially if you are one of the 28 million (60% of the English population) people who live in the geographical south who probably hold the stereotype that it's "grim up north".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rob said:

Warnock didnt play wingbacks thought so was never going to use him so sending him out on loan was best option at the time

Didn't play them until a week or two after sending him out on loan. Then he decided to play players out of position. Horrific decision.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Foogle said:

But we can always tell Forest that if they won't match what the other teams are then he sits on our bench for a year whilst they fight to stay in the Prem. Don't think they have much leverage. 

There's absolutely zero chance he wouldn't get in our team unless he went AWOL.

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Apart from being a better team on the pitch for the last couple of months I don't think there's anything in their recent history that have made them more attractive than us as a place to live or work. 

I'm glad that you have such pride for the town, but sadly it's not a view held by anyone who isnt from Middlesbrough.
if you gave most people in England the option of moving to Middlesbrough or Nottingham, overwhelming i believe people would pick Nottingham. And I'm not happy about that, but I'm able to remove my own feelings about Middlesbrough and view the area objectively, and there really isn't much to attract people here:

The northeast has the highest rates of unemployment in the country.

I believe Stockton has the highest crime rate

and Middlesbrough is often close if not top of the list for the most deprived areas in England.

You only have to look at our cheap house prices to realize that we're not a place where most people want to live ( almost half the average price of a home in Nottingham).

And again, I'm not trying to criticize or put down the area, i  love Middlesbrough, I was born and raised here, I'm just stating things that are objectively true.

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, tmcc said:

I'm glad that you have such pride for the town, but sadly it's not a view held by anyone who doesn't live in Middlesbrough.
if you gave most people in England the option of moving to Middlesbrough or Nottingham, overwhelming i believe people would pick Nottingham. And I'm not happy about that, but I'm able to remove my own feelings about Middlesbrough and view the area objectively, and there really isn't much to attract people here:

The northeast has the highest rates of unemployment in the country.

I believe Stockton has the highest crime rate

and Middlesbrough is often close if not top of the list for the most deprived areas in England.

You only have to look at our cheap house prices to realize that we're not a place where most people want to live ( almost half the average price of a home in Nottingham).

And again, I'm not trying to criticize or put down the area, i  love Middlesbrough, I was born and raised here, I'm just stating things that are objectively true.

I think what you've said is true for the average person. But we're talking about professional footballers. If Reading and Middlesbrough offered a Championship player the same package, I'd still be confident of them heading north. 

7 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar Colin said:

There's absolutely zero chance he wouldn't get in our team unless he went AWOL.

Doesn’t get ahead of Jones for me. Perhaps we’d try and accommodate both though by putting Jones out at LWB. 
Spence is more suited in Forests formation as he has a Johnson ahead of him most of the time. There’s no where near as much onus on him to provide a threat down the wing. On the other hand, Jones is the sole threat down that side for us. I don’t think Spence is close to Jones in terms of creativity or taking on a man.

Just now, BoroSmoggie said:

Doesn’t get ahead of Jones for me. Perhaps we’d try and accommodate both though by putting Jones out at LWB. 
Spence is more suited in Forests formation as he has a Johnson ahead of him most of the time. There’s no where near as much onus on him to provide a threat down the wing. On the other hand, Jones is the sole threat down that side for us. I don’t think Spence is close to Jones in terms of creativity or taking on a man.

In another world we could have had Spence RWB and Jones RW in a 3-4-3. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think what you've said is true for the average person. But we're talking about professional footballers. If Reading and Middlesbrough offered a Championship player the same package, I'd still be confident of them heading north. 

at the moment id agree most likely, mainly because we're pushing from promotion, and they're fighting relegation.
I still think that players will pick a promotion side over relegation side, but if were both in the playoff race and both offered the same wage, i think most players would pick reading...

5 minutes ago, tmcc said:

at the moment id agree most likely, mainly because we're pushing from promotion, and they're fighting relegation.
I still think that players will pick a promotion side over relegation side, but if were both in the playoff race and both offered the same wage, i think most players would pick reading...

Maybe you should move to Reading then I'm sure its a lovely place 🤷‍♂️😂

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?