oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

True... History doesn't exactly point to us having an incredible window. But that's never stopped me hoping before!  

This has probably been one of our less disastrous couple of windows at this level - certainly not one of the most wasteful, anyway. At least most of the above are cheap or loans. 

Yeah they are but the way I look at it, if you have £50m to spend and you waste £50m, it's not really any different to having £5m to spend and wasting that.  You're still wasting your money.  The critical thing is making better use of whatever you have.  To me we haven't done that this season so it's another failure.  That doesn't mean that the next window will be a failure but we need some improvement with all of this or we'll be having the same conversation in a year's time, just as we did last year, and the year before etc.  We need to break the cycle, and start of having more hits than misses.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It would be bad business, albeit the injuries are clearly mitigation cos he's never got going.  I think/hope he'll be here next season but then I wonder if that might be it.  We'll see I guess.

I think he's shown enough signs that he COULD be an asset. Not that he WILL be an asset. But could be. When you compare him to JLS who has just looked hopeless in his limited minutes and the writing was on the wall that he wouldn't be any good here very early on. 

53 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think he's shown enough signs that he COULD be an asset. Not that he WILL be an asset. But could be. When you compare him to JLS who has just looked hopeless in his limited minutes and the writing was on the wall that he wouldn't be any good here very early on. 

Honestly, in the warm-ups, JLS is probably the best or most consistent striker of the ball that I've paid attention to. But he's just shown himself to be pretty bloody useless at everything else.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, macapes said:

In that he was signed before Scott joined us?

He was recommended by Scott. Warnock did an interview saying how Scott brought JLS and Hernandez in. 

Warnock knew nothing a loud him and had to ask someone about him.

11 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

He was recommended by Scott. Warnock did an interview saying how Scott brought JLS and Hernandez in. 

Warnock knew nothing a loud him and had to ask someone about him.

He will probably go somewhere next year and be top class tho I have a feeling we have an obligation to buy? 

4 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

He will probably go somewhere next year and be top class tho I have a feeling we have an obligation to buy? 

I think so as well. No other reason he would periodically appear in the squad.

13 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think so as well. No other reason he would periodically appear in the squad.

Apart from the fact he's the only other first-team centre-mid we had available. Next one down would be Boyd-Munce, who has featured on the bench a few times himself. Payero is back and JLS is nowhere to be seen. I think it's as simple as that to be honest. I hope so based on what we've seen, anyway.

4 hours ago, Riverside94 said:

We had a quasi-obligation to buy. It is an option that turns mandatory upon hitting some targets that were meant to be very easy. 

Hopefully he hasn't actually hit any of them.

@GrimsbyBoro that is not what NW said from what I recall. NW said a contact of his france recommended JLS and he ran it past Scott to see if he knew him and had any views of him. Scott gave his approval but I imagine that was on basis it was late in the window and we either got JLS or nobody.

Insofar as Onel is concerned I am sure Scott played a part given his Norwich links. However Onel was not a bad player for us and in a system that plays wingers I think he would have certainly contributed. Wilder used Onel as a striker in his system and he did a lot better as a striker than Connolly has.  

2 hours ago, Brunners said:

We had a quasi-obligation to buy. It is an option that turns mandatory upon hitting some targets that were meant to be very easy. 

Hopefully he hasn't actually hit any of them.

Maybe one of the targets is having any player hit double figures for us, and we've been doing our best not to get there all season long.

• Haha 2

I wouldn't use Siliki to write Scott off, when you're signing players you're always going to get some wrong. Particularly when you're looking at players from abroad because you're basically guessing how they'll settle and whether they'll adapt to English football. 

Look at some of the foreign signings Ferguson and Wenger made, some of them were absolutely shocking. As long as we're not spending big money you can probably afford to have a fed duds if you find the occasional good player. 

The signing which is more worrying is Payero because at our level he wasn't cheap, I know a lot of people on here love him but I don't think he's shown a great deal yet on the pitch.

I'm certainly not writing him off though because its his first season and it won't have been easy with Warnock in charge and with the injuries. But for the outlay we probably can't really afford for that one to go wrong (unless there's lots of clauses in the transfer fee). 

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I wouldn't use Siliki to write Scott off, when you're signing players you're always going to get some wrong. Particularly when you're looking at players from abroad because you're basically guessing how they'll settle and whether they'll adapt to English football. 

Look at some of the foreign signings Ferguson and Wenger made, some of them were absolutely shocking. As long as we're not spending big money you can probably afford to have a fed duds if you find the occasional good player. 

The signing which is more worrying is Payero because at our level he wasn't cheap, I know a lot of people on here love him but I don't think he's shown a great deal yet on the pitch.

I'm certainly not writing him off though because its his first season and it won't have been easy with Warnock in charge and with the injuries. But for the outlay we probably can't really afford for that one to go wrong (unless there's lots of clauses in the transfer fee). 

A lot can happen from one season to the next. Who’d have said last year Spence was worth 15-20 million. Who knows Payero MAY come back and look like a world beater next season 

18 minutes ago, Riverside94 said:

A lot can happen from one season to the next. Who’d have said last year Spence was worth 15-20 million. Who knows Payero MAY come back and look like a world beater next season 

Yeah I'm definitely not writing Payero off, plenty of foreign players take a while to settle. Hopefully he'll be better next season. 

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?