oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Page 1, Leesider suggested Callum Ohare, I would love him in a Boro shirt.

38 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'd take balogun to be the other backup striker alongside watmore. I don't think he did bad, just went missing a lot and didn't really seem to have the ability or the confidence to even try to force his way into the game. But I think there are signs of a good player there.

The reason we didn't go up is we did not score enough goals, Balogun and Whatmore , Sporar and Connelly were the ones tasked with the job.

CW will not risk hoping they come good , only Watmore will remain.

• Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, "KM" said:

It did feel like that at times but Wilder wanted him at Sheffield United too so he must firmly believe that he suits the way his teams play but for some reason it didn’t really click, maybe he just needed a little bit more time to settle in? 

Or maybe he thought he could take a good finisher and mould him into something more alike to what we wanted? And maybe he was wrong?

I mean, lad is still young so there's no saying he could never be that player but the signs aren't good to me. Especially if the rumours of the fee are anything close to being true.

If he was our player I'd be fully giving him the preseason to try and accomplish that goal but because he's somebody else's and would cost a decent amount to bring back, I'd prefer to keep hold of Coburn and see if we can take one of our own good finishers and mould him the way we want.

10 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I'd take balogun to be the other backup striker alongside watmore. I don't think he did bad, just went missing a lot and didn't really seem to have the ability or the confidence to even try to force his way into the game. But I think there are signs of a good player there.

As per above, there are signs that Coburn can become a good player too and he scored more goals in about half the time on the pitch. I think I'd rather we keep Coburn around than bring Balogun back. If nothing else, at least he's our player and we can reap the long-term rewards if it comes off.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to it, but I’d be surprised to see Balogun return. I definitely think that something seemed to have went on towards the back end of the season.

He had that hot streak March/April time where he scored 3 in 4 in the league with an international break in between where he scored 3 in 2 for England u-21’s but then he seemed to be bombed out. He only played 189 minutes in the last 8 games.

I also just think it’s somewhat telling that when we went to Preston with our backs up against the wall needing a win to try and keep our season alive we opted to go with Watmore and Sporar. If Wilder couldn’t trust him to deliver the goods in a game like that then is there really any point in bringing him back. 

Perhaps the attitude over ability line was aimed at him amongst others. I look to Watmore as someone in the squad who isn’t necessarily the most gifted but you can guarantee he’ll run himself into the ground for the team, whereas I didn’t really see that same desire and work rate from Flo.

• Like 2

I'm not sure it's lack of work rate or attitude with Balogun. I just think he really struggled with the physicality and pace of the league.

There is definitely a player in there. He has that great snap shot, bit like JFH used to have, and he's technically very good. I could see him going to a league like Holland or Portugal and smashing in a ton of goals. Maybe the English leagues are just not for him, or possibly if he bulks up a little in his mid twenties. Either way I think it's best for both him and us we just move on. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, "KM" said:

I reckon with the number of signings Arsenal are making this summer there is no way Balogun gets anywhere the first team this season. He just doesn’t look ready for the step up yet either. Would anyone take him back on loan? I just don’t get why Wilder took him out of the team when he started doing well. 

No. Not nearly ready enough for mens football. Has ability but is just too absent and doesn't offer enough. Let him go to a bottom championship side or keep playing reserve football with Arsenal. He's going to be on the long list of promising Arsenal strikers that never really got going. I just don't see him becoming a good Premier League striker. Think he'll have a decent Championship career though.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Borodane said:

No. Not nearly ready enough for mens football. Has ability but is just too absent and doesn't offer enough. Let him go to a bottom championship side or keep playing reserve football with Arsenal. He's going to be on the long list of promising Arsenal strikers that never really got going. I just don't see him becoming a good Premier League striker. Think he'll have a decent Championship career though.

Mate he's 20 and it was his first stint of senior football. Not sure i'd write him off so soon. Thought he did well for his first stint. Some aspects of his game obviously weren't great but he showed some massive ability in parts. Be interesting to see how he develops, but the only way to get better is to keep playing these competitive games 

Edited by nunthorpered
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Mate he's 20 and it was his first stint of senior football. Be daft to write him off so soon. Thought he did well for his first stint. Some aspects of his game obviously weren't great but he showed some massive ability in parts. Be interesting to see how he develops, but the only way to get better is to keep playing these competitive games 

Maybe. But I just don't really see it happening for him. I hope he does well but at some point he's going to have to take a chance, as I don't see him getting game time at Arsenal and he is apparently on a massive 40k contract, so I don't see him angling for a move elsewhere. He's got to make his loans count and he didn't do that here so there aren't going to be a queue of clubs lining up, and if you go on loan and don't get off from the start you easily fall behind in the pecking order. I realise he's young but you can quite easily be forgotten. But then again things can change quickly just look at Nketia towards the end of the season. But there is just something about Balogun that doesn't make me think he's going to have a sterling Premier League career.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Borodane said:

Maybe. But I just don't really see it happening for him. I hope he does well but at some point he's going to have to take a chance, as I don't see him getting game time at Arsenal and he is apparently on a massive 40k contract, so I don't see him angling for a move elsewhere. He's got to make his loans count and he didn't do that here so there aren't going to be a queue of clubs lining up, and if you go on loan and don't get off from the start you easily fall behind in the pecking order. I realise he's young but you can quite easily be forgotten. But then again things can change quickly just look at Nketia towards the end of the season. But there is just something about Balogun that doesn't make me think he's going to have a sterling Premier League career.

I agree he has to visibly push on in his next move 

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?