Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - Land of Hoppe & Glory?


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

What do people think about McNair potentially playing the Howson role next season rather than us finding someone else to play that role?

In terms of outgoings, surely a Spence sale would mean that we wouldnt have to sell one of Fry, Tav or Jones? 

The club has set quite a high bar for themselves by saying a few times "best free agents market" so they could be heavily scrutinised if we don't pick up some good players. 

You’d really hope so but we’re still a championship club that needs quite a lot of changes and that won’t come cheaply. If we can raise 25-30 million from Spence+one of them I wouldn’t be surprised if the club went for it. It’ll only be one player missing but that kind of money would buy you 5-6 good players and loans which is what we need. 
 

Ideally we want to keep our best players and not taking a chance on replacing them but the reality is we’re not wealthy and we need lots of changes. It’s just the nature of being a second tier club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 25.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

Larsen medical done today and trained with first team.  Announcement next few days , potentially tomorrow

Posted Images

Well the issue with Tav is he's out of contract next summer, so if we want a fee for him we'll have to get shot now. Otherwise it could be a £6-8m loss for one season worth of football if we can't get him to sign a new deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Well the issue with Tav is he's out of contract next summer, so if we want a fee for him we'll have to get shot now. Otherwise it could be a £6-8m loss for one season worth of football if we can't get him to sign a new deal.

I think I read that the gazette said that he has 2 years left. I could be wrong though. Found it

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I think I read that the gazette said that he has 2 years left. I could be wrong though

The Gazette did say it, but I'm not sure where they've got that from as the article also said they'd found the contract lengths from publicly available information and the last information on his contract was that he'd signed a 3 and a half year one in January 2020.

They might have picked it up from a press conference somewhere, so hopefully it's the case, but there was no mention of an option of an extra year in the new contract article.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

its time to be ruthless with a few outgoings, a good half dozen are simply not good enough and maybe 3 or 4 more may go to add to funds. i think we need to address all departments with keepers and attackers being the prioity. im sure we can retain a half decent small group of midfielders to maybe top up with one key addition. as said, theres a dearth of squad/subs bench quality. we dont need a firesale as such but if we make 4 0r 5 key signings, a couple of good loans and weed out around 6 of our poorer players and sell one or two players that can fetch a few million  we,d be in good shape. 

so.....name names i sense you thinking. 

gk.....id keep lumley but not daniels the youngsters are worth keeping in the background.. 

defence....fry keep, dijksteel,keep,  taylor and peltier release, bamba out to graze , bola , undecided and fisher keep with reluctance but needs to prove he can keep fit. mcnair , id only consider keeping as a defender, not midfield. if that proves difficult id cash in.

midfield...... JLS, didnt need him and dont need him, howson same bracket as bola,i can sway opinion, crooks, worth keeping for his goals, tav, id love to keep him but i genuinely believe he will go, boyd-munce, squd filler, payero, at least lets see what he can be , mcgree keep, jones keep, hes more of a asset than spence taking all aspects into account.

ameobi, why, just dead money. 

attack...keep watmore,coburn,, ditch the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Foogle said:

This is a major frustration for me we look weak in both boxes from set pieces. Crooks seems to be our only threat and he's not even a particularly good header. If you're playing possession football you're going to get a large number of set pieces. City and Liverpool are the top of the set piece scoring charts, they get the most opportunities and make the most of them.

I remember the Huddersfield game we seemed to have about 20 corners and free kicks and didn't come close to threatening, they had far fewer and looked dangerous from each of them.

At minimum we need a striker or 2 that can help us out in both boxes and a LCB who is dominant in the air. Fry is decent enough defending balls in but can't seem to get on the end of them in the oppositions box.

Correct with everything your saying there. It ll comes down to a desire to want to win the ball in the air. Dijksteel doesn’t even go into the box and paddy would rather be taking them than trying to get on the end of one 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no chance we are letting contracts run out with such important and talented players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

its time to be ruthless with a few outgoings, a good half dozen are simply not good enough and maybe 3 or 4 more may go to add to funds. i think we need to address all departments with keepers and attackers being the prioity. im sure we can retain a half decent small group of midfielders to maybe top up with one key addition. as said, theres a dearth of squad/subs bench quality. we dont need a firesale as such but if we make 4 0r 5 key signings, a couple of good loans and weed out around 6 of our poorer players and sell one or two players that can fetch a few million  we,d be in good shape. 

so.....name names i sense you thinking. 

gk.....id keep lumley but not daniels the youngsters are worth keeping in the background.. 

defence....fry keep, dijksteel,keep,  taylor and peltier release, bamba out to graze , bola , undecided and fisher keep with reluctance but needs to prove he can keep fit. mcnair , id only consider keeping as a defender, not midfield. if that proves difficult id cash in.

midfield...... JLS, didnt need him and dont need him, howson same bracket as bola,i can sway opinion, crooks, worth keeping for his goals, tav, id love to keep him but i genuinely believe he will go, boyd-munce, squd filler, payero, at least lets see what he can be , mcgree keep, jones keep, hes more of a asset than spence taking all aspects into account.

ameobi, why, just dead money. 

attack...keep watmore,coburn,, ditch the rest.

Stopped reading at keep Lumley

  • Like 1
  • Haha 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Essuuaitch said:

its time to be ruthless with a few outgoings, a good half dozen are simply not good enough and maybe 3 or 4 more may go to add to funds. i think we need to address all departments with keepers and attackers being the prioity. im sure we can retain a half decent small group of midfielders to maybe top up with one key addition. as said, theres a dearth of squad/subs bench quality. we dont need a firesale as such but if we make 4 0r 5 key signings, a couple of good loans and weed out around 6 of our poorer players and sell one or two players that can fetch a few million  we,d be in good shape. 

so.....name names i sense you thinking. 

gk.....id keep lumley but not daniels the youngsters are worth keeping in the background.. 

defence....fry keep, dijksteel,keep,  taylor and peltier release, bamba out to graze , bola , undecided and fisher keep with reluctance but needs to prove he can keep fit. mcnair , id only consider keeping as a defender, not midfield. if that proves difficult id cash in.

midfield...... JLS, didnt need him and dont need him, howson same bracket as bola,i can sway opinion, crooks, worth keeping for his goals, tav, id love to keep him but i genuinely believe he will go, boyd-munce, squd filler, payero, at least lets see what he can be , mcgree keep, jones keep, hes more of a asset than spence taking all aspects into account.

ameobi, why, just dead money. 

attack...keep watmore,coburn,, ditch the rest.

You'd... keep Lumley? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely let go or sell

Taylor

Hall

Loaned players

Lumley

Daniels

Spence- take the windfall

Akpom (no idea what Wilder thinks of him)

 

Potentially let go or sell

Bamba ( keep if he is willing to accept peanuts)

Peltier ( Keep if he is willing to accept peanuts)

Bola -  seems to operate better in a flat 4. but letting him go would mean 2 new LWB's would be needed

Fisher - injured, but a RB not a RB

Ameobi - injured, not sure what Wilder can do with him when fit.

 

Must Keeps

Jones

2 from Dijksteel, Fry and McNair

McGree

Crooks

 

Would like to keep Payero, but not sure he pressures enough for Wilder.

Would like to keep Tav, but this is the best summer to sell him, we have McGree, and we could do with the money to rebuild.

Watmore and Coburn, are low cost and offer something.

 

Just realised that this could mean 16 or 17 exits

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Contracts Expiring (2022)

Bamba, Peltier, Taylor, Howson, Siliki, Connolly, Balogun & Sporar.

There’s not much quality there or many that will be missed. Howson’s been offered a new contract but I’d want him to be an option on the bench. We need an out and out CDM with some more pace and physicality about him. You can’t expect him to start in 46 games at the age of 34. Bamba & Peltier you’d possibly keep for both experience and leadership qualities not to mention they’ll be on very little wages wise. The rest can go as there all shocking footballers. Balogun, I’ll let off as I think we’ve signed him too earlier in his career. He needs to learn what proper football is like and not the Under 23's. 

Contracts Expiring (2023)

Daniels, Lumley, Hall, Fry, Fisher, Ameobi, Watmore, Tavernier & Olusanya.

Daniels could be a backup. Lumley is a shocking keeper. I’d prefer two new keepers. Hall’s rubbish. He’ll be lucky to be in League One next season. We signed Fisher for 300k. Can’t really have any complaints with him. Signed to be a backup and add some squad depth. Ameobi has to be a drugs ban or something. There’s something not right there. Olusanya again it was a punt on a free or next to nothing.

Fry, Tavernier & Watmore I would offer new contracts too. Be blunt and simple with them either sign a contract extension or they’re gone and will be sold in this window. Personally I'd keep Tavernier and sell Fry. I'd look to move him on if we're getting offered good money for him. My reasoning for that is he's not physical enough and often gets bullied by relatively poor opposition. He's not a bad defender but he's the one who'll command a higher fee. 

I'd sell Spence & Fry. Bola, Crooks & McNair. Bola is injury prone and can't really play the LWB role so I only see him as a backup in that position. Crooks is a liability at times both with his discipline and his attitude on the pitch. On the back of a good season I think we could get £2m-3m for him. McNair I like but we need a left-footed defender. Dijksteel & McNair fighting it out for the RCB position is a waste when one can be sold to generate some money. Dijksteel has raw pace which bails us out numerous of times. I also don’t think McNair is the answer in CDM. We could get £4m-£5m for McNair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Contracts Expiring (2022)

Bamba, Peltier, Taylor, Howson, Siliki, Connolly, Balogun & Sporar.

There’s not much quality there or many that will be missed. Howson’s been offered a new contract but I’d want him to be an option on the bench. We need an out and out CDM with some more pace and physicality about him. You can’t expect him to start in 46 games at the age of 34. Bamba & Peltier you’d possibly keep for both experience and leadership qualities not to mention they’ll be on very little wages wise. The rest can go as there all shocking footballers. Balogun, I’ll let off as I think we’ve signed him too earlier in his career. He needs to learn what proper football is like and not the Under 23's. 

Contracts Expiring (2023)

Daniels, Lumley, Hall, Fry, Fisher, Ameobi, Watmore, Tavernier & Olusanya.

Daniels could be a backup. Lumley is a shocking keeper. I’d prefer two new keepers. Hall’s rubbish. He’ll be lucky to be in League One next season. We signed Fisher for 300k. Can’t really have any complaints with him. Signed to be a backup and add some squad depth. Ameobi has to be a drugs ban or something. There’s something not right there. Olusanya again it was a punt on a free or next to nothing.

Fry, Tavernier & Watmore I would offer new contracts too. Be blunt and simple with them either sign a contract extension or they’re gone and will be sold in this window. Personally I'd keep Tavernier and sell Fry. I'd look to move him on if we're getting offered good money for him. My reasoning for that is he's not physical enough and often gets bullied by relatively poor opposition. He's not a bad defender but he's the one who'll command a higher fee. 

I'd sell Spence & Fry. Bola, Crooks & McNair. Bola is injury prone and can't really play the LWB role so I only see him as a backup in that position. Crooks is a liability at times both with his discipline and his attitude on the pitch. On the back of a good season I think we could get £2m-3m for him. McNair I like but we need a left-footed defender. Dijksteel & McNair fighting it out for the RCB position is a waste when one can be sold to generate some money. Dijksteel has raw pace which bails us out numerous of times. I also don’t think McNair is the answer in CDM. We could get £4m-£5m for McNair.

So that leaves, possibly, Djiksteel, Jones and McGree from the first team that finished just off the playoffs.  That's one hell of a rebuild.

And all three are worse that their alternatives: McNair, Spence and Tav.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A big shake up has been needed for a while, I’m of the opinion that about 1/3 of the current squad are wanted and the other 2/3 are made up of players we are happy to either release or sell if the right bids come in.

keepers and strikers are the big 2 areas we need to quickly fill with quality as defence and midfield can be adapted depending on who goes but from strikers and keepers I’d only keep watmore and the young lads, the rest need replacing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

Spence is light years ahead of Tav. Tav is 7m-10m tops imo. If Tav wasn’t from the Boro academy, I’m not sure people would look at him the same. 

Spence:
Goals - 3
Assists - 4
Expected Assists - 3.7

Tav:
Goals - 5
Assists - 5
Expected Assists - 7.9

Stats aren't everything by any means, this only tells a part of the story but to say Spence is lightyears ahead of Tav is mad when he hasn't come out of the season with any statistical evidence of that. Can't understand how you come to that conclusion beyond valuing players who play for other teams above our own.

As for being from the academy, it didn't stop people giving him undeserved crap before, it wouldn't now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

 

 

Must Keeps

Jones

2 from Dijksteel, Fry and McNair

McGree

Crooks

 

 

 

Crook has been hideous second half of the season and 16 yellow cards... must keep?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Uwe changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - Land of Hoppe & Glory?
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - It's a slow market...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • Found a Dutch defensive midfielder Mees Hoedemakers who may fit the requirements, unfortunately again in the highlights his defensive ability not shown.  The Italians in the previous post and this player have valuations of 1.2 million euros or less if Transfermkt can be believed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTj5iZhK0Rs Also an Australian box to box midfielder I'd recommend Boro have a look at is Angus Thurgate, a big improver last season, became more of a threat going forward and  definitely handles the defensive side as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGb-QtRhfas
    • Choudhury looks he would be a top signing if he wants to come here, someone said he's rejected us twice though. Here are two other defensive midfielders I've come across on database searches, both Italian. Pity that their short highlights don't include their defensive efforts, but they both look like they can control play in possession well. Both also have been loaned extensively by their parent clubs, they might be interested in a permanent home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1xIWsDD8A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYhm0Rt6PTk
    • Clearly Parker not the only coach that isn’t in charge of recruitment 
    • Just a thought but....   General concensus is we need a lcb and at least two midfielders. And in reality the only ones we've been "linked" with are greaves, choudhary and hannibal. All British based players. We also need at least one more striker, and we've been linked with hoppe, Henry, larsen to name but 3. I wonder if there are possibilities of us finding a gem or two for the defensive and midfield positions from abroad too. Especially given the eredivisie link and we have only really been linked to 1 player from the Dutch league. 
    • Me neither, and I suppose it's only failures if we don't end up getting the business done anyway.  If we are prepared to make sizeable bids for the likes of Henry, Greaves, Larsen, then I have to believe it's nothing to do with what we haven't done so far, and simply because they like the players.

×
×
  • Create New...