oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Regardless of what we think of individual players, the thing we don't know, and which was Wilder's main point, is their attitude. 

Players who aren't giving their all or who aren't prepared to run through brick walls for the club. That is who will be leaving. Whoever they are.

• Like 1
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, macapes said:

So that leaves, possibly, Djiksteel, Jones and McGree from the first team that finished just off the playoffs.  That's one hell of a rebuild.

And all three are worse that their alternatives: McNair, Spence and Tav.

For me the size of the rebuild is a big one.

I would keep Fry & Tavernier but only if they sign new contracts. If not, you need to cash in.

Even with a new contract, I’d look to sell Fry if a substantial offer came in. One that we can’t refuse and then invest the money into improving the squad as a whole.  I think we can replace him for a fraction of his price.

You can’t have Dijksteel and McNair fighting for one starting position. McNair for me would be worth more and we could better utilise the money from his sale the same as Fry.

We can’t go into next season with Howson being the starting CDM. We need a much more physical presence in that position. I love Howson but we can’t expect him to play every game next season.

The strikers have been nothing short of abysmal.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

Regardless of what we think of individual players, the thing we don't know, and which was Wilder's main point, is their attitude. 

Players who aren't giving their all or who aren't prepared to run through brick walls for the club. That is who will be leaving. Whoever they are.

We have a decent idea of it to be fair. Tav for example, his commitment to the club and the cause couldn't be questioned even by his biggest doubter. Add Fry and Howson to that as minimums. Izzy has played with cracked ribs the last few weeks and is suffering from the after effects of covid, if anyone seriously questions his commitment they're mad.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

For me the size of the rebuild is a big one.

I would keep Fry & Tavernier but only if they sign new contracts. If not, you need to cash in.

Even with a new contract, I’d look to sell Fry if a substantial offer came in. One that we can’t refuse and then invest the money into improving the squad as a whole.  I think we can replace him for a fraction of his price.

You can’t have Dijksteel and Fry fighting for one starting position. McNair for me would be worth more and we could better utilise the money from his sale the same as Fry.

We can’t go into next season with Howson being the starting CDM. We need a much more physical presence in that position. I love Howson but we can’t expect him to play every game next season.

The strikers have been nothing short of abysmal.

Fry and Dijksteel aren't in competition for a starting place?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Spence:
Goals - 3
Assists - 4
Expected Assists - 3.7

Tav:
Goals - 5
Assists - 5
Expected Assists - 7.9

Stats aren't everything by any means, this only tells a part of the story but to say Spence is lightyears ahead of Tav is mad when he hasn't come out of the season with any statistical evidence of that. Can't understand how you come to that conclusion beyond valuing players who play for other teams above our own.

As for being from the academy, it didn't stop people giving him undeserved crap before, it wouldn't now.

I was judging it on their ability to affect a game, games which have been on TV etc. Spence pocketed Martinelli when Forest played them on TV and didn’t get done once. Forest have also made the playoffs, we have not. 

I don’t think Tav has had the same impact on a game that Spence has had, again just my personal opinion. I also think Spence has flourished and got better where Tav has probably only had a few games this season where he’s looked good throughout the whole game. 

• Like 1

i think our midfield is pretty bad for a promotion pushing team. they are constantly overrun. crooks has been garbage since last year and tav often struggles in tight spaces. only howson can work in tight areas and his is to old and getting caught in possession more and more. mcgree looks okay but lightweight. we need to be more dynamic across the pitch and have higher energy levels to stretch teams. for quite some time we were unable to do that and sat off teams and struggled for results because of our failure to stop teams. we are far to soft. have been for years. its this group of players. wilder will have really big clearout i think. 

32 minutes ago, Will said:

We have a decent idea of it to be fair. Tav for example, his commitment to the club and the cause couldn't be questioned even by his biggest doubter. Add Fry and Howson to that as minimums. Izzy has played with cracked ribs the last few weeks and is suffering from the after effects of covid, if anyone seriously questions his commitment they're mad.

It's also his first full season of highly competitive football. I think Jones is being a bit unfairly judged by some in recent weeks, mostly due to the very high standards he set himself. It's easy to forget 90% of Middlesbrough fans didn't even know who he was when we kicked off at Fulham last August. He only made the bench due to injuries. 

He played five full games in the Scottish Championship last year.

He's played 42 Championship games this year - most for the full 90. And most with the pressure of being our sole attacking outlet. Plus as you say, he's been ill and clearly playing through pain with an injury.

A Summer break will do Jones the world of good. I'm confident he'll be back to his best first game of next season, well rested with a lot more confidence and experience under his belt.  

• Like 9
1 hour ago, RiversideRed said:

Contracts Expiring (2022)

Bamba, Peltier, Taylor, Howson, Siliki, Connolly, Balogun & Sporar.

There’s not much quality there or many that will be missed. Howson’s been offered a new contract but I’d want him to be an option on the bench. We need an out and out CDM with some more pace and physicality about him. You can’t expect him to start in 46 games at the age of 34. Bamba & Peltier you’d possibly keep for both experience and leadership qualities not to mention they’ll be on very little wages wise. The rest can go as there all shocking footballers. Balogun, I’ll let off as I think we’ve signed him too earlier in his career. He needs to learn what proper football is like and not the Under 23's. 

Contracts Expiring (2023)

Daniels, Lumley, Hall, Fry, Fisher, Ameobi, Watmore, Tavernier & Olusanya.

Daniels could be a backup. Lumley is a shocking keeper. I’d prefer two new keepers. Hall’s rubbish. He’ll be lucky to be in League One next season. We signed Fisher for 300k. Can’t really have any complaints with him. Signed to be a backup and add some squad depth. Ameobi has to be a drugs ban or something. There’s something not right there. Olusanya again it was a punt on a free or next to nothing.

Fry, Tavernier & Watmore I would offer new contracts too. Be blunt and simple with them either sign a contract extension or they’re gone and will be sold in this window. Personally I'd keep Tavernier and sell Fry. I'd look to move him on if we're getting offered good money for him. My reasoning for that is he's not physical enough and often gets bullied by relatively poor opposition. He's not a bad defender but he's the one who'll command a higher fee. 

I'd sell Spence & Fry. Bola, Crooks & McNair. Bola is injury prone and can't really play the LWB role so I only see him as a backup in that position. Crooks is a liability at times both with his discipline and his attitude on the pitch. On the back of a good season I think we could get £2m-3m for him. McNair I like but we need a left-footed defender. Dijksteel & McNair fighting it out for the RCB position is a waste when one can be sold to generate some money. Dijksteel has raw pace which bails us out numerous of times. I also don’t think McNair is the answer in CDM. We could get £4m-£5m for McNair.

how many players did we have registered in jan? part of me wondered if they gave ameobi's squad place away to others

Just now, Rob said:

how many players did we have registered in jan? part of me wondered if they gave ameobi's squad place away to others

I believe both Ameobi & Fisher weren't registered in the 25 man squad.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

Just reading back on some old Sheff Utd stuff, it was the players fault when things started going wrong then as well.  In that case Wilder blamed it on them getting better contracts, and then losing their motivation.  It definitely wasn't a problem with the system, as he was sick of answering questions about that. 

• Like 1

Joe Rothwell is leaving Blackburn on a free. A few have mentioned him on here as someone we should look at?

11 goals in 4 seasons does not sound great so would be interested to know from those that seen him play more than me what his qualities are and would he been an upgrade on likes of Crooks, Tav and McGree?

In other news Preston have released 14 players including Connor Ripley

2 hours ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

I am not convinced I have seen anyone not giving their all. The entire team has looked unprepared or unmotivated but no one was pulling a Gaston.

I think it’s cheap deflecting from Wilder and I know if similar comments were made by one of our ex managers the attitude over ability comment would have been labelled as prehistoric.

Edited by GrimsbyBoro
  • Like 3
4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Joe Rothwell is leaving Blackburn on a free. A few have mentioned him on here as someone we should look at?

11 goals in 4 seasons does not sound great so would be interested to know from those that seen him play more than me what his qualities are and would he been an upgrade on likes of Crooks, Tav and McGree?

In other news Preston have released 14 players including Connor Ripley

Why don't we upgrade Howson before we upgrade the better midfielders that we have?

Just now, Changing Times said:

Why don't we upgrade Howson before we upgrade the better midfielders that we have?

Is Rothwell a DM? I dont know. I had him more box to box. I mentioned him purely as seen he has been released and been mentioned here in past. Bournemouth, Forest and WBA all want him according to Jon Percy of telegraph so he must be decent.

• Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?