oneBoro Forum

TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo

Just now, Changing Times said:

I think the standard has been pretty across both games but that could be the occasion as much as anything. It’s easy to see why clubs like Rotherham and Peterborough yo-yo between the two divisions though if these are two of the best teams at that level.

I think the standard's been quite poor, in particular the first game. You can really tell the step-up in the divisions.

• Like 4
  • Replies 35k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate people are going to dismiss my information and think I'm full of ****  but thought I would post this because of mixed reaction and comments which I fully understand where you are all comi

Sorry everyone, I can't go into too much detail atm with what I have been informed so that's why I'm not responding to everyone's posts. Larsen was there again today and trained. Not sure what th

When Scott came we were all dreaming of him finding a Pukki for us, a player who had seriously underwhelmed in his career before Norwich. Now we are having meltdowns because that is exactly what the C

Posted Images

While I feel like I know fairly well what Wilder wants from new signings in GK, CB, LCB, LWB and DM etc, I feel like I really don't know what he wants from our strikers. Clearly the two young, mobile lads Balogun and Connolly that Wilder signed in January didn't work out. In my opinion, we need at least one striker that's far more of a physical presence such as Riis and then a mix of options, including a striker that can drop deeper and link up play like Twine and an experienced poacher that knows what the Championship is all about. However, I really don't know what Wilder wants from our strikers next season so it's just guesswork.

Wilder got promoted at Sheffield United with the two experienced likes of Billy Sharp and David McGoldrick who were about 32 year old and 30 year old, who weren't particularly expensive or headline grabbing players. They were just two experienced Championship strikers who struck up an effective partnership. Wilder did mention in an interview in January/February time that there wasn't any good quality, experienced strikers available in January. In that vein, there's Andre Gray who is out of contract at Watford this summer. He's still only 30 year old and knows the Championship very well. He's probably the pick of the bunch from the experienced Championship strikers that are out of contract.

Edited by p_mards
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, SimonD said:

After careful deliberation... Connolly shoots straight at the keeper (or wide of the post - delete as appropriate)

Not fair.

He hit the post once

• Haha 5
15 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I would have been tempted to offer Sol a new contract to play for the under 23’s contract. They are allowed 3 overage players and I think his experience and presence in the dressing room would have been good for the young lads.

I think they only play over 23 players to give them game time to try and get fit, not to sign people to keep them on there, I think he may have been offered some sort of coaching role at the club, but with him not announcing a retirement in his speech I think is kind of telling that he still wants to play and if he drops to league one or lower then he can get another year in a first team and still probably work on becoming a coach there too.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

I think they only play over 23 players to give them game time to try and get fit, not to sign people to keep them on there, I think he may have been offered some sort of coaching role at the club, but with him not announcing a retirement in his speech I think is kind of telling that he still wants to play and if he drops to league one or lower then he can get another year in a first team and still probably work on becoming a coach there too.

A couple of clubs have started to sign old pros for the under 23’s. Southampton signed Lancaster (sp?) at 32 years old to play for them.

I am not a fan of the under 23’s but I think this is a good bridge. Experience pros with a will to win training everyday with young hungry kids. 

edit found link:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/olly-lancashire-southampton-premier-league-academy-under-23-support-player-1209845

13 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

It would probably help if we stopped signing keepers that were dropped by previous clubs for being ***.

In Meijas' case, we already knew he was *** when we weirdly signed him again.

He was signed to be a sub though who they knew wouldn't kick up a fuss when they never got a game, thats just their role be ready if they ever needed and expect to never be needed bar the odd token cup game

12 hours ago, expat-acklam said:

Goalkeepers have certainly been a problem this (and recently most) year(s), but to be fair, Lumley and Daniels were both free transfers and so to be fair anything we can get for them adds to our budget for the team as a whole.

If they want to leave and find another club will probably just have to agree to end contract without anything further due so they can sign elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, Riverside94 said:

Definitely a player in there. Would keep unless we get a silly offer, I know there was talk of Inter and others interested? Probably end up going there and being immense

I feel he needs to give him a pre-season to really take a look at him and if he not interested just yet and got years left on contract and no great offers in then send him out on loan till jan, same with woods. More potential upside than just giving up on them now if its even true they looking at moving them on. I feel payero all he needs is some game time in english football to get the hang of it and another club would odds on give him that chance

4 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

A couple of clubs have started to sign old pros for the under 23’s. Southampton signed Lancaster (sp?) at 32 years old to play for them.

I am not a fan of the under 23’s but I think this is a good bridge. Experience pros with a will to win training everyday with young hungry kids. 

edit found link:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/olly-lancashire-southampton-premier-league-academy-under-23-support-player-1209845

I think Bamba was actually signed for that reason wasn't he? Think he was an emergency first teamer and an U23s coach signing. Don't think he was ever actually meant to play as much as he did.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Rob said:

He was signed to be a sub though who they knew wouldn't kick up a fuss when they never got a game, thats just their role be ready if they ever needed and expect to never be needed bar the odd token cup game

We then played him in the "token" cup game, he made a huge mistake within 2 minutes in the replay and we were knocked out.

There were plenty of seasoned goalkeepers knocking about we could have signed instead of bringing back Meijas from Cyprus. 

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

If they want to leave and find another club will probably just have to agree to end contract without anything further due so they can sign elsewhere. 

He will want to play as first choice and that may push him to a move, but if he wants he can just sit tight and take his pay from Boro for the next year. So it maybe depends what wages Warnock offered him last year. Could be we have to pay him to get him off books. After all there must be a reason Stojanovic only took loan deals and not a transfer.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I think Bamba was actually signed for that reason wasn't he? Think he was an emergency first teamer and an U23s coach signing. Don't think he was ever actually meant to play as much as he did.

I think your right. I Just had a look back and Warnock said this at the time 

“Initially Sol had asked if he could come and train with us, and I was more than happy. He’s a great lad to have around. 

"When we were away in Cornwall he was at Rockliffe and helped with the U23s and U18s, and everyone was really impressed with him.

“I have to be honest, I didn’t expect him to look as sharp as he has done after everything he's been through, but he’s done remarkably well.

"At the moment the priority for him is to concentrate on his fitness and being in the squad, but we want him to be involved with the U23s as well. I feel he's just the type of person we need to be involved with that age group.

“He has bags of experience and he will be a real asset for us both on and off the pitch. I'm delighted to have him on board."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Tom changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Still Going For Just a Little Luongo
  • Borodane changed the title to TeaCider's Summer Transfer Thread 2022 - AKA: Frank deal tanked?